We had only been in Maryland a few weeks when Sam decided to take the family on a spontaneous Sunday morning drive. Destination: the local cemetery. It was beautiful. The rolling green hills were covered with mature trees and bright flowers. The road wound up and down, over bridges and under trees. Small ponds filled with geese and ducks dotted the landscape. It was the kind of place I'd like be buried. We enjoyed a peaceful drive and were just pulling out to head home when I saw another cemetery across the street. This one was small and decrepit. The stone wall reading 'Rose Buehner Memorial Park' looked like it was about to fall over. Very intriguing! I begged Sam to pull in.
We drove the small loop in the old graveyard, passing a father and daughter enjoying a brunch on a small bench. "Oh look!" I exclaimed, "That must be the mother's grave. How sweet!" I didn't want to bother them, so I waited until we were a good distance away and then insisted we pull off to the side so we could get out and look around. The overgrown weeds and wildflowers nearly reached my knees, and I had to brush them away to be able to read the gravestones. I stooped down to the nearest one.
Across the top of the stone was the family name. Below that, in large letters, was the deceased's first name. I read the date. "How strange, Sam! This grave has a death date, but no birth date!" I went on to the next gravestone as he wandered away through the graveyard. "Hey Sam, this one only has the birth year!" ... "And this one too!" ... "Hey, check this out, Sam. This person's name is Spike! Cool, huh?!" ... "Ooooh, bizarre. This one doesn't even have a last name! Just a first name." ... "Sam, a lot of these don't have birth dates, just death dates. Something is strange here." ... "Look! Half of them only have first names!" ...
It was then that we started putting two and two together:
Pet. Cemetery.
We laughed the whole way home.
Monday, April 13, 2009
Rose Buehner Memorial Park
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

15 comments:
I love reading your random stories! :) Your life seems very adventurous...
HAHAHAHAHAHA. So funny.
Ha ha! Funny!
Serious? Now that's a great story!
I had no idea that there were actually cemeteries for pets. Wow.
By the way, I can't say that I've ever been in a place and thought "I'd like to be buried here." Even if it is a cemetery. Oh, you crack me up. :)
Krishele - Really?? You've never thought that?! Okay, cuz I think about whether or not I'd like to be buried there whenever we PASS a cemetery. I like the one on 90th & 7th okay. But I really love the Salt Lake Cemetery. In fact, we're thinking about buying plots there as soon as we have some financial stability! :)
Ok, so around the corner from us is this beautiful gate covered in ivy and it's closed most of the time. There are tons of flowers and the landscaping is GORGEOUS-- especially the old twisty oak trees. One day I saw a Bentley pull out of it, so I assumed for almost 4 months that it was some sort of country club or a fancy house. Even Andy wondered what it could be and asked co-workers, but nobody knew. So one day, we were looking at some directions to who knows where on Google Maps and noticed that it was a GRAVEYARD! Who would have thought?! But if people are driving around in there with Bentleys- we probably couldn't afford it. I tell myself that I'm gonna be dead anyways so its not like I'm going to enjoy the scenery!
Hi.Lar.I.Ous. Who knew pet cemeteries were for real?
Hahaha FUNNY!
That's pretty funny. People love their pets--gotta have a special place for them!
That's hilarious. I love going on drives like that. It just sets your world at ease, doesn't it.
Thanks for the laugh, this is classic!!
oh my goodness! I never knew that was a pet cemetery! Now I feel dumb. But I never went in there either.
That is so funny! You should submit this one to Reader's Digest. People are hard core about their pets. I wonder how much a plot costs? Do you think they have little coffins? We always buried our pets in our yard... We must be cheap.
Yeah, this was one of the weirdest places I think I've ever been in my life. For some reason, it seems so much weirder than a people cemetery.
Post a Comment