Saturday, April 4, 2009

Eastern Excursion 34: Blue Crab

BLUE CRAB


It all started when I noticed that I randomly heard the phrase "Maryland Blue Crab" everywhere I went: the grocery store, the library, at church, etc. People seemed obsessed with the thing.

Then one day we were at the zoo seeing the Christmas Zoo Lights. And amidst all the light displays I saw a gigantic blue crab made of Christmas lights. Just as I was explaining the blue crab obsession to Sam, a kid ran by and yelled, "Look, Mom! The Maryland Blue Crab!" Case in point.

A few months later we went to a really prominent museum in Baltimore. And what did I find? Oh, the blue crab in the center of a display case titled, "Wonders of the Universe." Then, two weeks ago we went to the Maryland Science Center. It was huge and amazing. And of course, there was an entire section of the museum dedicated to the blue crab.

Alright, enough was enough. I googled it. And what a found made me laugh. It is just plain silly that there are websites and children's books dedicated to the blue crab. But did you know that the blue crab is the 'Maryland State Crustacean'? I know places have state birds, but state crustacean?? Are you kidding me?! And then there is the beauty pageant held every year in Chrisfield, Maryland in celebration of the blue crab. The winner is crowned 'Miss Crustacean'. But best of all is the hermit-crab beauty contest held every year in Ocean City. People bring their live crabs dressed in - no joke - dresses, and have a race down the boardwalk. The winner gets 35 bucks and the customary Cucumber Rind Cup, which is the "symbol of Crustacean comeliness." Ooooooooooo-kay.

But, Sam and I have really learned to love Maryland. Which means we must embrace the quirks. So, in celebration of his finishing and mailing off his final portfolios and job apps, we got a babysitter and went out to eat the beloved Maryland Blue Crab. This is a BIG deal (obviously everything that has to do with the blue crab is), hence we dubbed it an excursion. We ate at the Rusty Scupper, which is practically floating in Inner Harbor in downtown Baltimore. All the walls are glass, so the views are spectacular.

I didn't take this, but it shows the location well.

We had an all crab meal. Maryland Crab Soup as an appetizer, Crab Cakes as an entree, and Crab Cheesecake as dessert. Okay, I'm kidding about the cheesecake. That would be disgusting. I snapped pictures when the server wasn't looking. Not very couth for a fancy restaurant, but I couldn't help myself. I wanted to blog about it!

My crab cakes are in the top right corner.

We watched the sun set in stormy clouds throughout dinner. This was our view. Awesome, huh?!
So what does blue crab taste like, you ask? Long answer: creamy, soft, chewy, tender, sweet, delectable, and delicious.

Short answer: chicken.

15 comments:

Sam Ricks said...

I have completely embraced the blue crab's awesomeness. It is a wonder of the universe. Especially when it takes the form of delectable crab cakes.

I wonder what Arizona's State Crustacean is. Maybe crawdads.

Paige said...

I was wondering the same thing about AZ crustaceans! haha

I really like that you guys decided to "celebrate" & "embrace" the quirkiness of the Blue Crab... by eating it lol

Cara said...

I'm a little weary of seafood. I don't know if I could have embraced as you did. But it is funny!

Mike Creason said...

Utah has a State Crustacean too. The Crawdad is the official crustacean. It can be found in some of our lakes and rivers.

Rachel Sue said...

Mmmm. . . crab cakes. . .(momentary pause while dreaming about crab cakes). I am so glad that you have embraced the insanity. In the best way possible.

Rachel Sue said...

Mmmm. . . crab cakes. . .(momentary pause while dreaming about crab cakes). I am so glad that you have embraced the insanity. In the best way possible.

Jennifer J said...

I wanna see a picture of a crab in a dress! We tried to make a Halloween costume for our tarantula once, but it was too hard to get the sizing right.
You'll keep doing weekly excursion reports from wherever you end up, right? Because I <3 them!

janae said...

Wait - the crawdad really is the Utah State Crustacean?! Nu-uh! That is hilarious and awesome at the same time!!

Erin said...

I'm glad you got a date out! Who knew you could have a state crustacean! Congrats to Sam... that sounds like a ton of work! Probably for you too. I know when my husband is busy that means I'm busier too!

Krishele said...

That's really cool that I can say that I've seen that restaurant up close! :) Good job on the night out. You look great. I'm glad you got to try the blue crab. Too bad it doesn't look any different than red crab when it's cooked...maybe they should dye it blue, just for kicks.

That Girl said...

Oh, lady, how you make me laugh.

Random aside: do you check your "lixo" address? I can't tell you how many times I want to respond to one of your comments, but "omeulixo" doesn't sound like something you check.

Babydoll said...

Glad you got to really experience Maryland!

Sarah said...

My jaw was dropped through most of your blog. (Can we say... idolism?) LOL Is it really that blue or did Mr. Blue Crab meet with Photoshop? Can you blame me for being a skeptic? I guess I need to see it for myself too. (heh heh. Beauty pageant for hermit crabs...)

janae said...

Sarah - The blue crabs can have different shades and colors, but that is actually accurate for how the human eye sees the crab. Crazy, huh?!

Nicole said...

Now I'll know what everyone is talking about when its on sale down here in New Orleans:). Also, there is such a thing as Alligator cheesecake at some dive in Nola that everyone raves about, Jaquimos...more like some kind of seafood quiche, spicy and not for dessert:).