Thursday, April 16, 2009

the Underdog

I have a soft spot for the underdog.

I am the tiny girl who chased away the 6th grade boy that was beating up a 2nd grader.

I am the scrawny 7th grader who barged into a circle of 9th grade boys, arms flailing, and rescued the little kid they were hitting and tossing back and forth while everyone else stood around watching.

I am the student who ran to the toilet dry heaving while watching the movie Radio and could never finish it because watching the way people treated him was too traumatizing for me. (Even if there is redemption at the end.)

I am the adult who looked out my window to see a group of middle school boys holding down another kid and taking turns punching him, and since I could do nothing else, opened the window and yelled - in a voice I didn't know I had - for them to let him go. They scattered like cockroaches.

I guess that should fully explain why watching this movie made me bawl like a baby. If you want to read more, go here. But watch the movie first.

11 comments:

Melanie said...

Janae, I'm in a delicate state. You can't show things like that...they make me cry and I'm not used to crying all the time. That was great! Go Underdogs!

Cara said...

Another Paul Potts. Totally made me cry. I love that she's finally getting her chance.

Krishele said...

I think it's so silly that all those people laughed at her and sneared when she came out on the stage. It really is telling of the direction the people in this world are heading. I'm glad she put them all in their places. It's like beauty and the beast. I think more people should have wake-up calls like that more often to remind them that they are not as high and mighty as they believe themselves to be. Anyway, I'll get down from my soap box now and go change Andrew's diaper. How's that for reality? :)

Erin said...

Ah Janae now you really are my hero! I can't belive how brave you are... standing up to kids that are bigger than you. You're so tenderhearted! I want to be more like that. It takes a lot of courage to do the right thing especially when there are bullies involved.

janae said...

Krishele - oooh, the diaper change just made your comment! And I so agree with you. It's sad that just because someone is over 40 and not a supermodel everyone automatically looks down on them. What is really sad is that the devotion is fleeting. They went from hate to love in an instant, and then could go back just as quickly. What happens next round if she doesn't do as well, you know? Such a sad world. Can't wait for the Savior to come again and make it all right!

janae said...

Erin - I'm blushing. :) Thanks. This is what happens when you have older brothers who pick on you. You get really brave and have no fear going against the bigger guy. (Okay, okay, the no fear is a lie. I was generally terrified. But in my huff, fear didn't seem that important. :)

Erin said...

Hey Janae! I answered your waterwheel question in my comments in case you didn't subscribe. I always forget to... so I"m glad I checked back to get your reply on this post. I have 2 older brothers that picked on me a ton but I'm not as brave as you. Cody does claim that that's why I have a high pain tolerence and so he takes credit for my easy labor! Brothers sure can take credit for A LOT! Whenever I would try to fight my brothers they would hold me upside down by my feet because I'm so much shorter than them... until I got a taller husband!

Caroline said...

Dude. I'd buy her CD.

Sam Ricks said...

Wow! I hope people continue treating her kindly. My guess is that after a while, people will be back to knocking her down. Hope not.

katieo said...

I clicked on your link a couple of days ago but forgot to come back and comment. I'd seen the video floating around facebook but hadn't actually taken the time to watch it. But then I did and then made Aaron and my mom watch it, too. We all loved it!!

Babydoll said...

I know it has been a while since she sang, but I am with you. When I first saw the video I had tears running down my face. She was mocked by everyone in the audience, but has such a spectacular voice. I am voting for the underdog too! Thanks for the post.