Friday, April 3, 2009

I grew up with maids.

Yes, you read that correctly. We had maids growing up. Let me explain.

My family lived in South America and Caribbean for about 9 years when I was a kid. My parents and younger siblings went back for 3 years while I was at college/on my mission. And for the majority of those 12 years my family had maids. See, there were always women who attended our church who needed help financially. And with so many kids (there were 7 of us at most during those years) my mom could always use help. Put two and two together, and we had maids. One particular maid would come every day and do laundry. That's all she did. Laundry.


This is the view of my house from my front door. Wait. What is that mass gracing my counter top? Let's zoom in.


Oh, it's my clean laundry. I originally started putting it on the counter top because it got in my way and irritated me, which motivated me to fold it sooner than later. Unfortunately, I think I've become accustomed to it being there, because today is day 4 of this particular load making a beautiful welcome scene for all visitors.

Life Goal #971: Have a laundress. And a house keeper. And a gardener.

16 comments:

Krishele said...

4 days???!!! I'm impressed girl! Especially because you were the one who started my obsession with having my counters spotless. Granted, I wasn't quite as zealous as you were (with the microwave in the cupboard so it wouldn't be out on the counter). It's nice to see that you're finally submitting to the inevitable. :)

randi said...

love it. especially because i am sitting next to a basket of clean laundry that has been here for almost 3 days and there is another load still in the dryer just waiting...i guess i keep thinking it will all majically get put away if i leave it long enough!

Natalie said...

I'd fold your laundry if I was out there. I don't really mind it at all.

Lyndi said...

I'm afraid that if I took pictures of our laundry, child services would be called on us. BTW, I told Trent that if he got maids when he was young, then I should get them now!

Rebecca said...

Ahhh, I love it when you post stuff like this. It makes me feel like I'm not alone in the world of clean yet wrinkled laundry. Right now i can blame it on the remodel. But that's supposed to be done on Tuesday, so I'm goign to have to find another excuse then. I'm totally up for suggestions.

katieo said...

I want a house cleaner and gardener FO SHO. Throw chauffeur in there too.

Laundry though? Call me crazy but I LOVE IT. It's one of the only household chores I actually enjoy. I think it's a combination of 1) living for so long without a washer and dryer, 2) it's easy, 3) I can employ the boys in all sorts of ways (pushing buttons, pouring detergent, folding towels), 4) It's an excuse to just SIT down (and sometimes turn on the tv while folding) 5) When I sit in the middle of piles and piles of clean folded clothes, I must admit, I feel RICH.

Cara said...

I try not to think about maids...it just makes me wish for them. :) Whenever I'm feeling overwhelmed with kids and housekeeping and start thinking, "how did mom do this? She has twice as many kids as me!" And then I remember. Maids.

Margaret Pratt said...

I own at least 6 laundry baskets, WHY because I have no problem washing/drying clothes (drop it in and walk away) folding is the difficult part

Jolie said...

some day. when we have too much money to know what to do with...
;-)

remember my post a few weeks ago about Tallest Mountain? yeah.
being buried in laundry is a regular occurance at this house.

That Girl said...

You forgot to mention the fact that South American washing machines take an average of four hours for a load. So YES you do laundry every day.

I have a faixineira - she only comes once a week, but she's a lifesaver. I wonder what I'll do when I move back.

(Oh. And for the record, I had a load of darks that sat in the basket for seven days last week.)

Rachel Sue said...

So with you there. I finally folded and put away all loads of laundry for the first time in months. I'm pretty proud of myself.

My kids have become accustomed to finding their clothes in the clean hamper, rather than their drawers.

Asialene said...

I don't mind doing my laundry, but I would love a house keeper for certain things - and Davis would take a gardener any day. Honestly, one of the things I am looking forward to most about our move is the apartment because I will have less to clean and less maintenance overall. I can't wait!

Erin said...

Our love seat got a lot less wear as a kid... because it was always covered in a gigantic mountain of clothes! I started doing my own laundry when I was about 8 because it would take so long to get things back from the wash! We all have chores we hate! I don't mind doing most of them... once in a while. Doing them day after day and week after week gets old. What is it like to have bathrooms clean that I didn't have to clean myself I wonder? Do you really have that many goals or did you make the number up?

Erin said...

Oh and it could be worse that could be DIRTY laundry!

janae said...

Erin - that is super funny about the love seat! And yes, I completely made that number up. :) Most of my life goals are just floating around in my head.

Babydoll said...

Well, at least it's clean! If you start having baskets of dirty laundry on your kitchen counter, we all might start getting a little worried! :)