FACT: Men do not know how to load dishwashers properly.
FACT: Men think women are crazy for thinking there is a 'right' way to load a dishwasher.
Everything is helter skelter. Call me crazy, but I don't think the cups that are sideways
are gonna get very clean. And why are those big bowls up here, taking up all the space?
are gonna get very clean. And why are those big bowls up here, taking up all the space?
FACT: With as often as women load the dishwasher (at least once a day, every day, our entire married lives), it is only to be expected that women find the most efficient way to fit as many things as possible and still get everything clean. After all, what doesn't go in the dishwasher must be washed by hand. And what goes through the dishwasher but doesn't get clean must also be washed by hand.
See how much more fit in there? And how much less I had to do by hand??
I'm not crazy. I'm just efficient.

22 comments:
Amen! Any time Kevin loads the dishwasher (which isn't very often) I always end up redoing it...which is probably why he doesn't do it more often! I learned this from my mom. We always had to load the dishwasher when I was younger but everytime my mom would re-do it. We never understood why she asked us to do it in the first place. I guess she was hoping we'd eventually learn do it efficiently. Well, now I can!!
And efficiency is important. My kids and husband have the same problem. I've finally learned NOT to re-do their work, but to insist that all of the dishes must be washed, whether that means by hand or doing several loads in the dishwasher. In theory, this should help them learn to load more efficiently. In practice, not so much. You did a very good job loading that top shelf, by the way. ;)
AMEN! I know exactly which dish fits the best where. I try hard not to redo though. Only when absolutely necessary. :)
Ditto and ditto. You're not alone.
I met someone married about 10 years that never loaded his own dishwasher. So sad.
I've also known Mom's who don't "allow" other people to do the laundry, even 18-year-olds, because they'll do it wrong. Whatever that means.
I've decided any way they do it is OK by me. Redo-ing their work, or doing it all yourself, is a bit demoralizing! (Like telling them they're not good enough to help.)
It's kind of funny. When we first got married John was the one who was able to fit everything in the dishwasher. Now it's me. Oh, and what doesn't fit does NOT get washed by hand at this house. . . it waits for the dishwasher to be cleared and goes in on the next cycle!
I do have a place I like everything to fit in the dishwasher but if Matt's willing to do I let him do it anyway he wants! My big thing is that if the dishwasher is ready to load you don't leave you dish on the counter or sink you take 1 more second and actually load it! This might take a little rearranging later on my part but I'm not the maid load your own dish!!! It's really all the little things that take some working out in marriage huh?
Ok, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. Andy is amazing at loading the dishwasher as with packing. I think he gets it from his mom. I grew up in a 100-year-old home and we never had a dishwasher (my mom and I washed everything by hand). The first time I ever used a dishwasher was in Utah and I thought regular dish soap would do the trick. Guess who had to mop the floors and look like a complete idiot in front of her new roommates? Oh yeah, and it took almost two hours for it to stop gushing out! So as long as I lived there, I didn't touch the dishwasher in fear of creating another bubble fiasco in the kitchen. When we got married and moved into an apartment that had one, I got a "how-to-load-a-dishwasher 101" from Andy. I would pretty much half fill it, however I did not put cups sideways. At least I had the general idea down! :)
i do think it is so funny how all of us have our own particular way to load a dishwasher. But hey at least were not the only ones right?
AT LEAST HE LOADS THE DISHWASHER! I'm jealous! ;) (I swear I beg Jason to do the dishes....it just doesnt cross his mind to do the dishes! Ha ha)
LOL!!!!
There are no words to tell you how much I dig this post.
(Although now I'm totally suffering from dishwasher envy.)
Here Here! I don't think most men know how to organize things in a small space. Tyler was amazed we had so much stuff in our tiny 2BD apt when we moved out. He didn't even know we had storage is some of the places I had filled to the brim!
::sigh:: I wish we had a dishwasher.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one.
I didn't know that this was a common thing. I'm so glad I'm not alone!
I feel the exact same way!!!
OR...for those of us that are efficient dishwasher loading challenged (and hate washing dishes by hand and REALLY hate drying dishes by hand), we just wait for the next load. :)
I'm second that thought. Jason just shrugs his shoulders and says he'll put them in the next batch(kind of funny coming from the engineer who preaches efficiency to me at least weekly), but along with the clean counter obsession, I have an empty sink obsession as well. So, it falls to doing it by hand, as you said.
It's a good thing that like the kids, the men are cute. Otherwise, they might have been replaced by maids by now. :)
amen.
i totally thought i was the only one having this problem!
Those pictures could have come straight from our home!
when Tash and I got married she did not know how to load the dishwasher right -- I used to get soooooo frustrated!!! (A condition that her mom still has and we got to 'experience' for a month while she 'visited' us !#$%^@#!~!!!! AGH!) It seemed like it only took one meals worth of dishes to justify starting the dishwasher, when in reality it wasn't even close to full.
With credit to my wife she has come a long ways in the last 2.75 years, but there are still times when i catch myself pulling out dishes and putting them back in to take advantage of as much space as possible.! :)
Yes, I agree. You are efficient and did a much better job. I have the same problem here at my house. But at least my hubby tries!
Post a Comment