Tuesday, April 8, 2008

the Seara Saga continues

Well, this morning I took Seara in for her 5-days post-hospital release doctor's visit (and my monthly baby visit - the squeaker is doing just fine). As we were driving up to the clinic she saw the building and began crying. When she saw the doctor and the nurse, she went ballistic. It's moments like these that I question my sanity in having a third ... Anyway, the doctor just did the basic stuff and it looks like she is doing well. That is fabulous news! She has just a couple days more of her medication (and if she understood that she would cry tears of joy).

No worries, though, the best is yet to come. We scheduled her VCUG for next Thursday. That is a voiding cystourethrogram. I can't pronounce it either. So, according to Children's Medical Center in Dallas, a VCUG is "a specific x-ray that examines the urinary tract. A catheter (hollow tube) is placed in the urethra (tube that drains urine from the bladder to the outside of the body) and the bladder is filled with a liquid dye. X-ray images will be taken as the bladder fills and empties. The images will show if there is any reverse flow of urine into the ureters and kidneys" - aka urinary reflux. Want to know how they do the test? They tie the kids' arms and torso to a board, and then tie their legs down. Luckily, the hospital said that they would sedate her. Hopefully she will forgive me for putting her through all this!!!

6 comments:

heidizinha said...

yeah, you read how HORRIBLE (and i mean HORRIBLE) the VCUG was when Mae had it. I sobbed. She was hysterical. Thank your lucky stars Seara be sedated, I think Mae still has nightmares.

denise @ little ant design said...

I have had a few VCUG's in my day - I had bad bladder infections as a child. Not fun!

Cara said...

oh I hope she does okay and everything is fine. Thank goodness they will be sedating her. Too bad they can't give you the drug to give to her in the car before you get even remotely close to the hospital. Good luck.

Lyndi said...

ugh. i'm SO glad they will sedate her! and i'm so glad that it's not my child cuz i just can't handle those types of things. i think my kids get upset cuz i'm so upset. so be strong! show no fear. or let sam do it. :)

austinamasandra said...

I'm so sorry!

Krishele said...

I actually saw a VCUG in progress when I was shadowing in the radiology dept. at Primary Children's. I felt bad for everyone involved, including the Dr.'s. But if they didn't tie the kids down, can you imagine how much worse the whole procedure could end up being? Yikes. It is good that she will be sedated.

Both of Brittany's oldest girls had/have ureter reflux. They have both had to undergo surgery on their ureters. It's pretty bad stuff, so I hope the test is negative. We're praying for you.