
You won't believe what happened since I wrote the last post. While I was on the phone with the realtor Seara dumped two cups of red koolaid all over my carpeted stairs. So I quickly blotted up what I could and tried OxyClean and any other cleaning supply I could, but to no avail. So I know that hot water takes red koolaid out of clothes, right? And I read on an online carpet cleaner's site that the two best ways to get red koolaid out of carpet is to either pour boiling water on the stain and soak it up with a hand carpet cleaner thing, or else to put a white, wet rag on the stain and set an iron on top for 15 minutes. Since the koolaid was all over seven steps, I went for the boiling water first (and borrowed my neighbor's Bissell cleaner). It actually worked really well, except one spot that was still pink. (I am, by the way, completely converted to the Bissell Compact Deep Cleaners.) So I decided to try the iron thing on that spot. I set it all up and let it go for 10 minutes, and then checked on it. Okay, prepare to die. Really. When I pulled up the rag I found that the heat and water had worked the stain out, but had actually soaked the carpet's color into the rag as well. So my tan carpet now had a whitish-purple iron-shaped bleach-looking spot. I just about cried right then and there!! I noticed, though, that the color on the rag looked a lot like the color of a tomato sauce stain. And I got this idea. If I covered the iron spot with ketchup, maybe I could re-dye the carpet back to its original color. Crazy, yes, but I tried it. I had to do it numerous times, but guess what ... it worked!!! For real. I can still kinda see the spot, but if you didn't know it was there, you'd never notice. I think I'm done with craziness for a while. I'd like life to go back to normal, thank you!
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Stained, Dyed, then Stained Again
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
did you take pictures? if you did, i'm totally curious to see them!!
Holy Cow!! I don't envy the stress you feel.
When Lia was 2, a few months after we moved here, she pulled an entire pitcher of red koolaid over at the dining table. Unfortunately our dining room had carpet. About 4 months later, just before Thanksgiving we got so sick of eating on carpet, that we ripped it up. Then we lived on plywood until June... when we put in the wood floor.
You're brave to restain your carpet with ketchup. Were the kids watching you ketchup the carpet?
Wow. Just in time to put the house up for sale. I adore the Bissel carpet cleaners--I used one to get out a SHARPIE stain when Harrison decided to create a mural on the carpet. Glad everything worked!
You are something else! Really, only you would actually dare to squirt ketchup all over your carpet. I love it! You really keep me young...just listening to your fiascoes. I am so grateful that we've stayed friends for so long. You seriously are one of the best a person could ever wish for. Sam is a lucky guy.
Seara is never allowed to have red koolaid again, right? lol Wow! You definitely win the unbelievably-crazy-event-of-the-week award!
Man two thumbs up for creative thinking and for being quick on your feet! You are going to be on my speed dial when our little hellian gets old enough to unleash havoc and punch! Way to go!!
Post a Comment