Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Life just got a bit more stressful ...


Last Thursday Seara had a fever. Not too high, maybe 100*, but no more. Well, it lasted on until Friday and then Saturday. Saturday around lunch time she decided that she was done eating and soon after that her fever started getting worse. Sunday she refused to eat at all (although she did drink some juice) and she spent the whole day completely lethargic on the couch. That afternoon her fever went over 103* and she started screaming, going completely stiff, and shaking every time she urinated. I gave her Tylenol, which put her to sleep and an hour later she woke us in a complete sweat, but the fever was broken. When she refused to eat on Monday morning I decided enough was enough and I took her to the doctor. My suspicions turned out to be correct - she has a urinary tract infection. The doctor took a urine sample to send to the lab and gave her an initial shot until we find out exactly what is going on. Then he sent us home with some warning signs to watch out for to see if it spreads to her kidneys. I guess any kidney infection is really bad, but in children they can cause irreparable damage at best and death at worst. Well, by 5pm that night we were checking into the hospital. They took a blood sample, put in an IV because she was starting to get dehydrated, and did an ultrasound of her kidneys. I spent the night with Sease while Samuel took Elijah home. Well, this morning the doctor came back with the ultrasound results and blood sample results (we get the urinalysis tomorrow). The infection has spread to her kidneys, but so far they are only inflamed. There is no urinary reflux, so thus far they are working correctly. The inflammation is pretty bad though - I guess normal levels are under 3 and hers are over 30. And, unfortunately her fever is still between 102* and 103*, so we'll be here until at least tomorrow. Hopefully by then her fever will break, the inflammation will go down, her kidneys will be cleared, and we'll be discharged! I'll keep my fingers crossed!!

16 comments:

Cara said...

We are praying hard at our house...and that's five prayin' people (and I'm sure Ami would pray if she could.) Hope she gets better soon. We love you guys.

Aubrey said...

Seara looks like a trooper in the picture. We'll keep you in our prayers.

heidizinha said...

mae had a uti last summer, and it was horrible. we had to have the ultrasound of her kidneys and a vcug (is that what its called?)...and its the first and only time I've cried at the pain my child is going through. and she wasn't even in the hospital, so i can't even imagine what its like for you. we're praying for you!

denise @ little ant design said...

We're thinking about you guys and offering up prayers.

Kristine said...

So sad to see little babies sick and miserable :( I'll remember you in my prayers tonight too. Hopefully you will be able to go home tomorrow and have your angel baby back happy!

Megan said...

Poor Seara! Hope she gets to come home tomorrow. We'll keep her in our prayers!

The Parkers said...

Hope things are going better and you get to come home soon.

Sharalea said...

I am so sorry to hear about this! I hope seara gets to come home soon & that everything turns out ok. Prayers your way--

Lyndi said...

Of course we're praying for you guys. It just breaks my heart to see Seara like that. Just the whole IV thing kills me. I hope it doesn't last much longer!

SNSsoup said...

I'm sorry to hear that Seara is sick and in the hospital. I know from multiple experiences with my own boys that hospital stays suck and they're boring, I bet you're just itching to get out of there and hoping that Seara gets better FAST- but then again it's at times like these I always realized I was SO THANKFUL for doctors and medical technology! Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

SNSsoup said...

I'm sorry to hear that Seara is sick and in the hospital. I know from multiple experiences with my own boys that hospital stays suck and they're boring, I bet you're just itching to get out of there and hoping that Seara gets better FAST- but then again it's at times like these I always realized I was SO THANKFUL for doctors and medical technology! Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

Ruth said...

Thanks for sharing. Please keep us posted and know our thoughts and prayers are also with you.

austinamasandra said...

I guess Seara got worst after we talked on the phone. I wish I was closer to help out...We'll keep you in our prayers.

Rebecca said...

Janae! Holy Cow! I hope all works out. Let me know if there is anythign I can do to help you guys.

Karen said...

Looks like everyone else has said what I was going to say, but just wanted to send another message letting you know how sorry I am you have to go through this. That doesn't sound fun at all. It is hard to have your children sick. You just worry so much for them. I hope she gets better soon and that you're able to get some rest, too.

Margaret and Murray Pratt said...

I am so sorry! We are glad to hear that you are home now and Seara is better! Good work being a super mom Janae!