Okay, I'm running out of new, innovative ideas! We do the same old, but I've already blogged about all those. I don't know if I can last until December (my plan is to stop then). So feel free to send any suggestions my way!
Making Playdoh - we divided the white playdoh in three pieces to dye them red, yellow, & blue ...
... then we set aside the bigger balls and let the kids combine the smaller balls - red with yellow, yellow with blue, and blue with red. The highlight was while Seara was mixing the red and yellow, and she announced, "Look! Red and yellow make orange!"No-Cook Playdoh Recipe
1 c flour
1/2 c salt
2 T cream of tartar
2 T oil
1 c boiling water
Mix dry, then add wet. Stir to make playdoh, then knead in food coloring.
Making Key Chains - Get a couple plastic crab boxes from your local grocery store food court - I only got two so they just gave them to me for free - and cut out the flat center. I would get bigger boxes that the one pictured here. Punch out a hole in the corner - you'll need to do it pretty far in, and make the hole bigger than it would be with just one punch. Color with sharpies, bake on tin foil at 350* for 1-3 minutes. It will SHRINK.
Making Apple Pie - The easy way. We picked the apples from my parent's apple tree. We peeled, cored, and sliced them with the Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer. We added the ingredients, and plopped them in a store-bought, ready-made crust. The nice part about doing it the easy way is that the kids practically made the entire pie by themselves!
Apple Pie
2/3 c sugar
1/4 c flour
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t ground nutmeg
dash of salt
6 c thinly sliced, peeled tart apples
2 T butter or margarine
Mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Stir in apples. Pour into the pastry-line pie plate. Cut butter into small pieces and sprinkler over apples. Cover with the top crust, seal edges, and flute top. Bake 40-50 minutes at 425*. (I cover the edges with foil the entire time I cook the pie so that they don't over-cook.)

13 comments:
Fun! I love the play-doh color mixing. I'll have to try that with my kiddos some Saturday.
Have you made "magic marshmallow puffs" with your kids? That's a good kid friendly recipe. Also, making mini pizzas is fun. You can do that with english muffins or the store-bought biscuits in a tube.
What about doing a simple scavenger hunt? Those are always fun.
Okay. That's all my ideas for now. :)
Mmmmm...apple pie sounds delicious! I have some fun crafts I've done with Harrison--I'll have to email them your way. Also, have you done baking soda/vinegar "volcanoes"? They were a big hit at my house! We did them on the back patio so I just had to hose it off when we finished.
Ooh! This looks fun! Maybe we should do some of these activities for dates ;)
Cara - I'll call you about a scavenger hunt! It sounds like a great idea, I just need to figure out how to plan it for my kids' ages.
Megan - Baking soda volcano - BRILLIANT. I just may do that one this afternoon! :)
One idea that takes a little patience, is making rock candy! I think I might try it for FHE and do a lesson on patience.
Always impressive. I really liked the key chain one. I'll pass along my ideas if I get any new ones. (Most of what I do, I copy from you:))
Linds - At first I couldn't figure out who 'Part of Five' was. :) Rock candy would go well with a lesson on patience! I actually never really thought to do my stuff in connection with FHE - that's pretty brilliant. Thanks!
I have no good ideas! SAD... Someday when we have kids... We will for sure use your blog to inspire us! :)
S&D - WHAT?! You guys don't do these kinds of things with your dogs?! You shock me. ;)
I'm constantly impressed by the ideas you come up with! supermom indeed you are...oh, and i loved reading about Sisi's crush..or the boy who was crushing on her! too funny. the job situation will work out for ya, i know it's hard waiting around though. glad you've officially settled in at the parentals, even if it is the trendy thing to do. ain't nothing wrong with being trendy! (i was totally anti facebook/twilight until i finally succumbed to the pressure:)
OH, and I went ahead and changed your name on my blog, so it's all good now.
I don't get the whole foil plastic container thing? How does that make a key chain?
That discovery learning is the best!
I just made an I Spy in a bottle. You find all kinds of tiny things that will fit in a dry water bottle. I looked in my jewelry box for odd jewelry I don't wear, old CTR rings, missing earring pairs. Look in your office supply drawer for tacks, paper clips,etc. Then get some things with letters on them so they can spell words when they get older like beads or small jewelry blocks... anyway put them all in the waterbottle, add rice and glitter. You can make a list if you want to remember all the stuff you put in there. Then hot glue and tape the lid shut and glue a ribbon around it to make it pretty. Then in the car you can say: find the CTR ring, or find the 3 ladybugs, or spell CAT and for little kids they just shake it and look at things!
Seriously, how is anyone supposed to compare to you. I would love to do those activities and I am not even a child. They must be having so much fun. Good for you for keeping this up.
So, i'm not sure where Lije got the Brazilian soccer shirt, but whoever gave it to him is pretty much the coolest person ever !
Post a Comment