Thursday, August 6, 2009

Marriage Day Mishaps

Today is our 5th Wedding Anniversary!

Samuel and I actually did our wedding in reverse order. We took all our pictures just before our wedding reception, which we had on Thursday, August 5th. The next morning at 10 am we were sealed (married). We had our luncheon at 12 pm and by 1pm we were boarding the plane for our honeymoon. We spent the evening of our wedding day strolling barefoot along the La Jolla beaches at sunset. It was perfect. I couldn't have asked for more wonderful wedding day(s)! But, because I loved everything about my wedding so much, I never wrote down the things that went wrong. Drum roll please ...

10) Samuel and I were late to our pre-reception photo session at the Jordan River Temple. Not a huge deal to most people. Except I'm not most people. And few things make me more anxious and angry than being late.



9) Samuel lost his cuff link some time during our reception (you can see that he had it in the pictures before the reception...) so he actually didn't have one cuff link for our wedding.



8) Because our reception was in my parents' backyard, by the end of the night the hem of my wedding dress was very obviously green from the grass. It took some last minute brilliance to get it clean so I could wear it to my sealing the next day!



7) My parents had only been home from their mission for three weeks, so they were really pressed to get the yard ready in time for a wedding reception. Which means that my dad decided to repaint the patio (that the family and wedding help would use, not the guests) the day before the reception. You'll understand why this is bad in a minute ...



6) A family friend and very talented makeup artist did my makeup for the pictures and reception. I loved how she did it, but in some of the pictures I think the misty look makes me look like I'm half asleep!



5) My in-laws lost their car keys right before they were supposed to come for family pictures. Since they were from out of town they didn't have a spare, so a locksmith not only had to break into the car, but had to make a spare key for them!



4) As the photographer was posing us, he decided to use the repainted porch as a prop. We didn't realize until we saw the paint all over the back of Sam's tux that the paint still had some wet spots!



3) Well, the turpentine removed the paint really well. But it also made Sam smell like turpentine for the entire reception and wedding. Lots of water and lots of cologne covered it up pretty well.



2) My parents showed up at the temple for the wedding, and didn't realize until they were at the recommend desk that both of their temple recommends were expired. I went ahead alone to do all the paper work, and after what felt like forever, they were finally given clearance to come in.



1) It all started with the clouds in the distance. The photographer must have guessed what was going on because we have progressive pictures. But we didn't really notice anything until the sky opened. RAIN! And lots of it! It's good thing Aunt Denise had decided to put up a dessert tent.

I must say, the rain and clouds made for some gorgeous pictures, and they really helped cool down a warm August evening! My wedding was perfect. And things only went up from there. Here's to five years wonderful years with my sweetheart and an eternity more!

15 comments:

Aubrey said...

Congrats!

Sharalea said...

Nice review...I guess everyone's wedding day has a few of those (I was nodding the whole time I read your post...we had several as well!) HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! 5 years & 3 kids...you guys are awesome!

Have fun celebrating! :)

Ruth said...

What a wonderful day!

janae said...

Shara - even better was that we already had 3 kids at 4 years. We take the whole 'multiply & replenish' thing very seriously! :)

Natalie said...

Janae, you look so young in your wedding pictures!

I guess I know now what kinds of things to expect on my wedding day ;). Happy 5th Anniversary!

Erin said...

That was well worth the wait! Rain, oh man! I thought the sprinklers going off for a few minutes at our reception was bad enough. I was late to my pictures too and I didn't get to eat breakfast. I was starving! What beautiful pictures with the mountains behind you. You have such a good attitude about it. I think it's the things that go wrong that make the day memorable not just the "perfect" things. Thanks for sharing and happy 5 years!

Melanie said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one with wedding day mishaps. Your wedding was beautiful! I can't believe the weather.

Happy Anniversary!

Cara said...

Happy Anniversary guys! I decided not to call since my first chance is right now and *hopefully* you guys are off on a date and don't want any meddling phone calls. :)

I like how the last picture has you back in the same place as most of the pictures.

And I didn't know about Mom and Dad's recommends expiring. That's crazy! I bet Mom isn't too happy you mentioned it on the blog. Ha ha! It was probably the only time in her life it ever happened! :) And just weeks after getting home from the mission. I guess too much was going on. :)

Well, all that comment just to say...Happy Anniversary! Hope it's a great one! :)

Kristine said...

That is all just too funny! I remember going to your reception :) It was a nice night. And I remember telling you that rain on your wedding day is a sign for fertility - I thought it was so funny when you leaned over to your MIL and told her that! Haha!

Man my anniversary was on Sunday and I haven't had a chance to blog about it yet :( I've been dealing with kids puking over here. Oh how times change! But its all wonderful :)

Oh yeah, and Happy Anniversary!

Joe said...

I think I'm going to get married in December just to be the first one in the family not to get married at the end of Summer :) and i love your blog

Sam Ricks said...

I loved the rain! And I don't think I'll ever have the opportunity to have someone hold an umbrella for me, so that was a highlight. :)

Jolie said...

and I think you guys picked a great day to get married. Aug. 6 is my birthday!! ;-)
Congrats on your anniversary!

Jodi said...

That was the first (and only) time I met you two. The lost key situation was dreadful! I felt so bad for Matt and Kaye. I thought they had a spare sent from Winslow, but I also think we left before it was resolved.
It was a bit of a chaotic time for us as well. We were bumped from the first leg of our flight (there were three legs: DesMoines to somewhere (maybe Cincinatti), somewhere to Minneapolis, Minneapolis to Salt Lake City). We took a different flight to Minneapolis and sat in first class. Whoo hoo! When we got to SLC, we had none of our checked bags. We saw them take our luggage off the first plane but it didn't make it to Salt Lake City with us. Luckily we had what we needed for the reception that evening in our carry-on bags. The next morning we still hadn't received our bags so James went to the store to get some supplies. We ended up flying to Winslow with one of Sam's relatives instead of riding there with his parents. It was pretty cool seeing the Southwest scenery from above. I remember taking a sweet picture of Lake Powell.
Anyhow, we had a great time meeting all of you and were honored to be a part of your special day!

ALYN said...

Love the fountain picture. The sky was beautiful! Funny about the recommends... Don't you usually get a new one at the end of your mission? : )

Krishele said...

As you can see, I'm way behind on the commenting. I loved your wedding! The colors were so fun and the whole thing was relaxed and enjoyable. Way to go on not being a bridezilla! :)