Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Attn: Samuel Ricks


Dear Samuel,

I'm so glad you're home from your male-bonding trip in the Uintas! I whined about you being gone (did you see that post?) but even I didn't anticipate how hard it would be on me to have you away. That is until I went from feeling a-okay to blowing up at the kids in about .5 seconds on Tuesday afternoon. How is it that I can honestly think I'm fine one second and break down the next? I don't get it. It must be a girl thing. I will admit, though, that I didn't mind having all that extra space in the bed. Do you think they make beds wider than Kings? Because I want one. Not that I don't like you. I just don't particularly love the magnetic attraction your body has to my side of the bed.


My dad emailed me a bunch of pictures, so I'm including some of them. Have you seen these? My brothers raved about what a good sport you were. Apparently they were surprised that you not only went along with, but actually contributed to, The Cave Man Games. I was not. Did you keep score? I heard that the events were the Caber Toss, Stone Skipping, Skeet Shooting, Log Smashing, Cup Folding, Rock Climbing, and Target Throwing. Pray tell, explain how on earth you did those! Oh, I also heard about your Cave Man names. My dad and brothers were Olug, Tug, Rug, Lug, so that would make Sug?


I'm impressed with the cliff jumping pictures I saw. Until then the whole trip looked tempting to me. But I have to pin myself against the wall on staircases that let you look down more than one flight and I practically wet my pants going off the high dive, so the whole cliff jumping thing was not at all tempting. When I saw the videos I kept expecting one of you to bounce off a rock or land on each other and break a neck. Since when did I become such a paranoid mom?


Liam also mentioned that you amazingly buff cave men had a secret fear of bears. Like you scouted an area half a dozen times before you were willing to relieve yourself. I laughed at that. Wimpy boys. You can jump off 30 and 40 foot cliffs into ice water, but your afraid of a little bear? Okay, big bear. Whatever. ;)


Anyway, I'm glad you're home. I love you,

Janae

ps. I can't believe that you picked all those wild flowers and pressed them in your journal for me. That is so romantic. I don't deserve you.

11 comments:

Cara said...

What a great way to tell about the trip! And you never mentioned who won the caveman games? That whole thing is so funny! We have a fun family. :)

Gr S said...

Isn't it nice to be crazy about the guy you are married to for eternity? I loved your letter to him.

Krishele said...

Cave man games? Boy you guys are creative! Looks like they had a ton of fun...oh and the being fine one second and not the next...I know how that one is. You are not alone.

I would have been right there cliff jumping with them...that looks fantastic. There is nothing like jumping in a cold lake after being hot and sweaty from hiking around. :)

janae said...

Cara - I don't know who won the games. I wonder if they just stopped keeping score after a while ... or maybe they just never did keep score. Although knowing our family, that's unlikely! We do have a great (albeit strangely hilarious) family!

janae said...

Oh, and Krishele - I meant to tell you, I love how adventurous you are. Honestly, I don't remember you being outdoorsy like this until college, and I think it's AWESOME.

Ruth said...

sounds like love!

Sam Ricks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sam Ricks said...

Actually, I think it's in the genes for us to keep score. Here are the results:

1. Caber Toss Winner: Liam
2. Rock Climbing Winner: Liam
3. Stone Skipping Winner: Tyler
4. Rock Target Winner: Tyler
5. Log Crushing Winner: Liam
6. Skeet Shooting Winner: No one. (None of us could ever hit the rock. Yeah, so the "skeet" consisted of one of us throwing a rock in the air and everyone else trying to hit the rock with their own stone before the rock hit the ground. Classic.)
7. Cup Folding: A different winner every day. I won twice.

I think Ryan won something, but I can't remember. Did I ever win anything? Of course not.

And yes, I was Sug.

Sam Ricks said...

Sam - No worries, I like you any way. It's hard to compete with the amazing human specimen that we Smiths are. ;)

janae said...

Oops - that last comment was me, but you (Sam) must have still been signed in on the computer. I hate when that happens.

Erin said...

This is hilarious!! I love the way you told it like a letter. I loved cliff jumping as a teenager but I'm scared of it now... must be a mom thing. I can't believe they all jumped together- I would never have done that! Great picture of it though. What fun male bonding. Having "events" cave man or otherwise doesn't quite strike me as super manly. But fun all the same. Cup folding is a cave man sport?! Glad he's home. It's hard to have patience when you don't have someone to give you a break! Despite being SUPER MOM you're bound to have your moments like the rest of us mortals!