Monday, August 22, 2011

how do i use this thing?!

A couple months ago Sam decided to enter a random NPO illustration competition.  Illustrate a short story, whoever's illustrations are picked wins an iPad. So Sam hopped on the computer, and in two hours, had came up with some illustrations. He sent them in and BOOM!  He won.  Today the iPad arrived.  And Sam announced that he was giving it to me.


I feel old admitting that I don't see how I can use this. Anyone know what on earth I can do with this thing? I'm sure I'll love it, as soon as I can figure it out!

16 comments:

Cara said...

So awesome. I know Barry couldn't live without his. But, personally, I'm with you. I don't know what I'd do with one!

janae said...

Cara - EXACTLY.

Mike Creason said...

The best thing about Ipad is that you can use the App for various reading devices. Reading a book on an Ipad is awesome because you can download a dictionary App and use Google to look things up when a book peaks your curiosity. Also you can download lots of free books for kids and adults. Reading to kids with the Ipad and show them the pictures. We travel with our Ipad and can reach our Email and Facebook pages.
Have fun Janae! Kathy

janae said...

Genius Kathy! I hadn't thought of traveling with it, but it would be so handy and so small to travel with!

Melanie said...

Dan has one and uses it for work. He even teaches his class at church with it. I just use it to play with. Jackson loves playing games and watching movies on it. I'm sure you'll love it.

Caroline said...

I'll take it if you don't know what to do with it:) Just kidding!

Lissa Nelson said...

I must be old too because I really don't see the usefulness of them for the everyday person. I mean, sure they have great applications in business settings and they're definitely a fun toy, but the practicality just isn't there for me.

Babydoll said...

I wouldn't go out and buy one, because I'm not very technology-savvy, but to win one! I'm sure you will have lots of fun on it. And I have loved reading about Sam's apostle updates (what an exciting experience for him) and all of your travels to the national parks. I am definitely quite a bit jealous, but we will get around to visiting them all eventually!

Lyndi said...

Play Words With Friends! Everybody's crazy about it. Or Tap the Frog, which is my personal favorite.
PS that picture of you is adorable :)

Krishele said...

I was totally there like 2 years ago with the iPod thing. They were so foreign to me, but luckily I've caught up with the real world (well, sort of). Nothing makes you feel older than being clueless about the new rage in technology.

As crazy as it seems, you can almost do anything you want on that thing. Weird, huh?

Paige said...

Don't feel old... I have no idea how to work those either--ha! Joseph says he would be happy to take it off your hands.

Unrelated note: I love this picture of you! Your hair looks great down (Maybe it's just coincidence but I think I only ever see it up in your blog pics...?)

SNSsoup said...

I must be feeling old too cuz I thought exactly the same thing when spencer announced that he got me an iPad (he got a screaming deal on it, or so he said)... my sister told me I should use it to put all of my recipes onto it. Sounds like a great idea since I'm always complaining about loosing recipes i've printed off or jotted down on random pieces of paper, but I haven't had the time to type them all up and import them... in fact I haven't even played around with the iPad yet--- I left it behind in utah. We'll see. Hopefully one day I can get all my recipes organized and saved on it. One day... I keep thinking though it seems like a pretty expensive way to organize and keep recipes... there has to be a better use for the iPad. Once you find out what else you can use it for will you let me know. I'd love to make the most of mine. By the way, I thought at first that this picture of you was an old one you took when you were a teen. You look so YOUNG Janae! I would have never guessed this was a recent picture of you if you weren't holding your iPad. Consider it a blessing you look young--- who wants to look old anyways?! Have fun with your new gadget!!!

janae said...

Paige- typing this on the iPad, we'll see how it goes! Um, the reason you mostly see it up on the blog is because I ALWAYS wear it up, except for events (weddings, holidays, etc.) which happen to be the only times I see you. I also always wear glasses. But I recently saw pictures of the other apostle actor's wives and they are all gorgeous, so I felt bad for Sam and made a goal to start being pretty. Hence I have my hair down and contacts in for this picture.

Rebecca said...

Kindergarten.com has lots of kid apps & last spril they were all free. They might do it again next April. Also, you could use it to find recipes & just put it on your recipe stand instead of your cookbook.

Jolie said...

that's a pic of you taken just a few days ago? 'cause seriously, you look 10 yrs. younger in that pic; younger than when we hung out in a little place called Portugal. ;-)

Cool that your hubby WON an iPad too! I wouldn't have the foggiest idea what to do with one. I don't even do texting on my cell phone!! haha

janae said...

Jolie - Funny how pictures can be deceiving! I think the hair down, contact look makes me look younger, and add the expression to that, and it makes me 16. :)