Oh Canada, my home and native land!
Well, okay, my almost-native land. I've never actually lived there. But I am a citizen.
Well, okay, my almost-native land. I've never actually lived there. But I am a citizen.
*Every single good picture taken in this post is from my cousin, Cassidy.
You know, when I got my Canadian passport I thought it would make my entry into Canada easier. Little did I know that Mr. Grumpy Pants would be manning the entry station. It all started when we pulled up to the port of entry line. After a whole day traveling in Montana, I was shocked to see that the car right in front of us was my little sister! So I rolled down my window and yelled hi. Mr. Grumpy Pants was not amused, and yelled at me to shut up. I did.
When we pulled up to talk to Mr. Pants, I made sure not to say a word. That is until my kids started getting rowdy. I turned around and told them what any other
Mr. Pants: [in a very gruff, angry voice] So that's what this is all about?
Me: [genuinely confused] Excuse me?
Mr. Pants: Did you just call me "grumpy"?
Me: [confused hesitation, then shock] You yelled at me!
Mr. Pants: Okay, that's it. Pull over!
Next thing I knew we were whisked upstairs to 'special screening' just to make sure one Canadian citizen and three American citizens weren't trying to break into Canada. We are super dangerous you know. It was probably the beard.
As a complete aside, the best part of that whole ordeal was actually Sam's disappointment that the officers weren't Mounties. Apparently he hoped that all Canadian police would be Mounties. Ha ha! Later Sam asked me, "What's the biggest city in Canada? Quebec?" [insert uncontrollable laughter] "Um, babe, Quebec is a province. That's like asking if the biggest US city is Texas." He claims that he never had to learn Canadian geography. Sam is such a smartie pants that these kinds of moments are few and far between. I have to revel in them. And post them publicly on the blog.
Anyway, here's what we did in Canada:
- Trip to Waterton and the Prince of Wales Hotel (where my grandpa worked as a teen and where Seara taught a hotel employee how to correctly say vase - apparently you don't say "vahz")
- Attend a temple session in Cardston (with original 1923 decor and indoor water feature)
- Family history interviews, site videos (including my great-grandparent's home), and grave visits (which included me bawling like an asthmatic baby upon finding my Martin Handcart pioneer ancestor's grave, while my brother and sister stood nearby and laughed at me)
- Watch the Canada Day Parade in Raymond (my first time in 26 years)
- Go to the Raymond Stampede (also my first time in 26 years)
So there you go. The impetus behind our latest national park travels, my kids' first time out of the country, and Sam's first time in Canada. In case you were curious what I looked like the last time I celebrated Canada Day in Raymond, here you go. In this picture I was the same age as Enoch. Actually, one day younger.






















12 comments:
Way to go Janae! How long did you have to wait in the special screening room? When my friend said something along that line to a border patrol officer, it was a 2 1/2 hour ordeal.
2 1/2 hours?!! I would have been furious! Maybe being Canadian did help, after all. We were only in there about 20 or 25 minutes. Another guy helped us upstairs and he was super nice, and a lady came up and brought the kids coloring books and crayons, so it wasn't bad at all. Minus the part about me being peeved at power-hungry cops, and going off to Sam about how they are the same in every country, we were great.
Love this post! It sounds like an episode of Fraiser! I can't believe you got in trouble! I bet it was the beard- people have a thing about beards! So funny! I love that you cried when you found your ancestor's grave. Was it some sort of family reunion? I noticed some name tags in one of the pictures. I've got to make it to Canada one day!
Wait, why is it that you are a Canadian citizen?
When we went into Alberta, we got a grumpy guard post person too. She was suspicious that we just *really* wanted to drive around to say we were in Canada. She was like "You know there is NOTHING out here, right?" We were like "Yeah! That's ok!" She didn't believe us and sent us around to prove our legitimacy. Then we begged them for a stamp in our passports. (Erik never got one from serving his mission in Toronto.) They thought we were seriously crazy. Then we accidentally visited the Cardston temple! Seriously, we never new there was a temple there! haha!
I'm glad you guys enjoyed your trip!
Wow. I said seriously a lot, didn't I? That's what I get for not proof reading! Ha!
How come I haven't heard this story before??? That's funny! And loved the 1985 picture. I was stylin'.
Erin - Yeah, it was a family reunion. If you ever do want to go up to Alberta, let me know and we'll go at the same time. I have an uncle (okay, actually my mom's cousin) who has a giganto mansion that we could stay at, and I'd show you all the sites. I'm dead serious, by the way. I'd love to take a vacation with you. :)
Kelli - How do you not know this?? My Baker grandparents were born, raised, and married in Alberta, so my mom was born there. Since was born in Canada, all her children are Canadian by birth. (Just like my brother Ryan is American by birth, even though he was born in Ecuador.)
Cara - How sad that you are shocked to read something new on my blog! We talk waaaay too often. :) You probably never heard it because it happened on the second day of a ten day vacation, and I told the story so many times to family in Canada, that it was old news by the time I talked to you again.
ps. Sarah, hey look! Now I've said more than you, and I actually did proof read! :) I like your long comments.
I'm disappointed you didn't sneak a picture of Mr. Grumpy! :D
I loved your adventures in Canada. Usually the smaller border crossings are easier to get through. Waterton is my all time favorite place. I spent one summer working at the Prince of Wales Hotel as room clerk. It was by far my most favorite summer job.
I did not realize you had Canadian roots or I just forgot. I am heading to Alberta in October for our annual trip. :0)
Wow, Mr. Pants was a little harsh. What a dork. But, really, only you would call someone grumpy to their face. That's why I love you.
I've never been to Canada either & could have quite easily made the same Quebec mistake as Sam. Sad, I know.
Sounds like an amazing time. Jason has some ancestors (well, grave sites) here somewhere in Pennsylvania. We'll have to check them out sometime.
Post a Comment