Well, Sam's first shoot day lasted about 16 hours (if you include commute) and in that time they got a whoopin' three minutes of footage. I guess that should explain why he looked so haggard when he got home. He's now done several days of shooting and this is pretty much how he looks afterward.
Every day the makeup people dirty him up (his hands are washed below, but you can still see the fake dirt they put around his fingernails). And, not only do they dirty his face, hands, and feet, but they also put enamel yuck on his teeth. So that whenever the apostles smile they don't reflect sparkly white teeth. You'll never see this kind of up-close mouth in the film. That's a spoiler perk of reading my blog. You're welcome.
In case you were curious, we found out why they switched the James and John parts. Apparently they were planning on shaving John, but at the last minute the director decided he just loved Sam's blond/red beard too much to shave it, so they switched James and John, and shaved this guy (formerly James, now John). Fine by me. I'm loving Sam's beard. They really do look like they could be brothers, don't they?


15 comments:
I'm just still amazed that they seem to hold such interest in Sam's beard. What's the big deal with his beard?! And the teeth? Eww.
Kelli - It's just SUPER rare for a guy with black hair to have such a light blond and red beard. I mean, blondes and brunettes will have red beards, but men with black hair have black beards. In fact, a few people have thought they dyed Sam's hair black because it's such a darker color.
Sam does have a great beard. Very cool pics!
Poor Sam, he looks so tired. He does have a great looking beard, though.
Those teeth look like something you do at Halloween. That is so strange but I guess they would have to do something like that to make them look like they were from that time period.
He does look pretty tired.
I think you should walk around BYU campus with Sam all gussied up for his part (sans costume). THEN you'll have a blog about all the weird looks you got because here is this cute, blonde woman with her three cute kids and her scruffy looking husband. Awesome.
I never really thought about apostles having decaying teeth before ... I guess it does make him look legit.
Loving these behind the scenes posts Janae. We got your message. :) It made me miss you guys! We were in California pretty much all summer. We need to get together sometime soon. I think life is kind of settling into a routine more, and as a result feeling a little more manageable...although now that I've said that things will get crazy again...lol.
They didn't eat much sugar back in the old days, so hopefully they didn't loose all their teeth. Didn't queen Elizabeth have black teeth from her royal diet or something?
Sam, I'm happy for your acting job and it's quite cool, but I AM looking forward to the post where you show the cutting hair and beard fun. You know, mohawkish, lamb chops, etc. back down to the clean cut look...
Alyn - I can't wait to see all the crazy phases either. It's gonna be awesome!
Really enjoyed reading your blog. You have made some wonderful memories with your little family. So fun for Sam...love the blog updates and pictures
So unfair to show Spencer's headshot next to that haggard picture of me! :)
But I think we do look like bros.
So cool.
(typing 1 hand or I'd say more)
Andrew came over and saw this post while I was reading it and said, "He needs to brush his teeth."
Leave it to kids to say exactly what they think.
Sam's dentist dad would be so disappointed to see those teeth!
Post a Comment