Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Years Resolutions

(click to enlarge)

DRUM ROLL PLEASE ...

2008 Goals Report:

- Run six races (5Ks & 10Ks April-September, no 1/2 because the baby is due July 4th).
FAIL. I never did a single one. I blame the unexpected move across the country. Gotta blame something other than myself! :)
- Stretch for six minutes each night before bed.
FAIL. I did this every single day until the day we left Spanish Fork (which was around May 15th). After that I completely forgot. Until last week.
- Read the Book of Mormon six times (twice each in English, Spanish, & Portuguese).
PASS! I actually listened to it in Spanish and Portuguese for one of each of those, but I did it!
- Read six church books.
PASS! I read five full books. And I read half of Mere Christianity (Lewis) ... but then I got bored with it. And I read half of To Draw Closer to God (Eyring) ... but then Sam lent it out and I haven't seen it since. And I read half of Be Your Best Self (Monson) ... but then we moved and it is still packed away in some box. But if you add those together it is one book. So I'm counting it.
- Go to the temple each month.
FAIL. I'm humiliated about that one, because most of the time excuses of why we don't go to the temple are just that: excuses. But it got really hard once we moved where we live farther away and I have a baby that nurses exclusively. Lets just say that for both November and December our babysitters tended the kids in the parking lot of the temple. Which means they had to meet us there. Those people would get automatic exaltation if I had anything to do with it!
- Read a book each month (I do this in my book club, but I'm counting that).
PASS! I'm not going to list em, if you really want to know the books I've read recently go to my GoodReads tab on the right side of the blog.

Three for six. Dang, I am good. (Who cares if I was four for six last year?? Not me.) Seriously. I'm super pleased with myself. I mean, how many people set and kept three goals last year?? Yup. I rock.

Alright, here goes this next year...


2009 Goals:

- Read the Book of Mormon a minimum of 30 minutes every day
- Pray sincerely every morning and every night all year
- Go to the temple every month
- Read the Sunday School lessons before church each week

11 comments:

Aubrey said...

Good for you. We still haven't got back into the temple groove since Celeste and she is almost weaned...

Cara said...

Good job Janae. You are an inspiration to us all (isn't that a great phrase...just classic...but true nonetheless...and isn't nonetheless a fun word to use?) :)

Sam Ricks said...

What can I say? My wife rocks!

Janell said...

Yeah Janae, you are good. I'm not sure I even remember 3 of my resolutions from last year! But I'm excited about my resolutions for this year. Maybe one resolution should be "beat Janae in accomplishing resolutions"!!

katieo said...

Oh, this made me laugh out loud, " But if you add those together it is one book."

I concur!

it's a new year? I hadn't even noticed. I haven't made any goals but am quite inspired by yours!

Erin said...

I think stretching for most of the year should count! I've started to read some of the books on your good reads list so thanks for that. I liked Princess Academy. I think you should read Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech, it's one of my favorites, and Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (it's nothing like the terrible movie don't worry). I like how your goals last year were very concrete. My goals are always something like "don't say negative things" How in the heck can you accomplish that?! You can't, that's the problem so I'm going to try to be more concrete this year (and make a shorter list). I am so impressed with the Book of Mormon reading... then you add in the other languages and I think you're just trying to make the rest of us look bad. :-) I have no desire to even run a race- ever. Good goals!

janae said...

Erin - I used to make super vague goals all the time, but I've been trying to do things that are more measurable. (Except the whole 'pray sincerely' thing ... but I really want to do it, and I figured it was something I could do perfectly, as opposed to something like 'never think mean thoughts' :) Anyway, I LOVE Ella, but I've never read Walk Two Moons, so I'll look it up!

Krishele said...

That's pretty good that you actually write them down. It wasn't until about 11:55 pm Dec. 31st that I realized that I hadn't even THOUGHT about resolutions. Sad. So I guess I just get to continue on trying to do what I try to do everyday: Be nicer to my kids & be more optimistic. Maybe this year I'll actually get somewhere with those....

Anonymous said...

I have another goal to add: give your kids more candy.

Anonymous said...

Ditto to what Lija said.

Asialene said...

I like your goals for 2009 - mainly because they are the ongoing goals of my life! I'll be thinking of you while I'm working on the same things!