Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year's Resolutions


First I think there should be some accountability for last year's resolutions. Marjorie Pay Hinckley once told one of her kids, "I have a new project to read one chapter a day from each of the standard works. I've been on it four days and I'm only three days behind." She summed that up by saying, in essence, that it is better to try and fail, than to never try at all. I couldn't agree more. Okay, that is my preface to last year's goals. :)

2007 Goals:
- Wake up at 6am every week day.
FAIL. I did it for probably half the year, on & off, but not the whole year.
- Read the Book of Mormon for thirty minutes every day.
FAIL. I also did this for half the year, the half that I woke up early. :)
- Run a half marathon.
PASS! I was slow, but I did it!
- Get a six-pack (of abdominals, not drinks :).
FAIL. I got really close, a month of crunches would have done it, but ooops.
- Go on a real date with Samuel each month.
PASS! Its amazing how many things you can do for free or cheap if you plan!
- Go to the temple each month.
FAIL. We went every month Jan-Nov, but spaced it in December. So close!

Okay, so I was two for six. But if you count each fail as half done (and they were all that or more), then technically I was four for six. Not bad. I'm actually pleased with the results. I improved some. We'll see if we can't do better this next year.

2008 Goals:
- Run six races (5Ks & 10Ks April-September, no 1/2 because the baby is due July 4th).
- Stretch for six minutes each night before bed.
- Read the Book of Mormon six times (twice each in English, Spanish, & Portuguese).
- Read six church books.
- Go to the temple each month.
- Read a book each month (I do this in my book club, but I'm counting that).

6 comments:

denise @ little ant design said...

What's with the sixes?

Cara said...

My question exactly.

Anonymous said...

Okay, it started with the Book of Mormon reading. I was going to do that 12 times - once a month. But then I figured I'd have to read 18 pages a day, and that is nearly an hour a day. Too much for a mommy at my stage. So I dropped it to half that to make it more manageable. Then I made my running goal. There are only six racing months in Utah because of the winter weather, and since 5Ks and 10Ks are so easy, I figured once a month was good. (If you didn't notice I like to divide my goals by months.) Anyway, after that I realized I had started a 6 pattern. And making a goal to 'stretch before bed' seemed ridiculous, because I could count bending over to put on socks. I wanted a time. I just figured since I was on a roll, keeping with the sixes would help me remember my goals (I seem to forget them as the year goes on). I told Samuel that the 'six' thing would have been more appropriate in 2006, but I could bear to move the amount of BOM readings and races up to eight. Thats like asking for failure. Okay, there you go. Thats why all the sixes. :)

Anonymous said...

I think I meant 'couldn't bear' :)

heidizinha said...

janae, we have a lot of the same goals. let me know what races you are running and maybe i'll do them with you!

Elizabeth said...

All right, well, I'm still VERY impressed. You are ambitious.

Scott and I just started reading the BOM in Spanish for our joint reading. I am loving it.