Tuesday, January 13, 2009

For the Grandparents

Another picture from when Grandma Kaye was here.

SEARA

Seara is starting to love singing (remember when she would scream every time I sang?!) She sings her own songs - tunes and lyrics - all the time. It is such a crack up. She is finally getting old enough to entertain herself for long periods of time. Like playing all alone with playdoh (during the boy's naps) for an hour and a half. Yeah, that was pretty much the best day of my entire life. :) One of her other silly quirks right now is announcing every good thing she does so as to elicit a compliment:

Sisi: Mama, look! I [fill in random thing here ... ate my lunch, lined up toys, etc.]!
Me: Wow, good girl Seara!
Sisi: Thank you.
Me: You're welcome.

Saying "you're welcome" is a very important step, by the way. If I don't say it she prods me. Seriously.

--------------------------------------------------------

Ever since Seara was born we have had her say personal prayers. As soon as she could talk, we tried to get her to repeat what we were saying. She never would. For a long time I just figured she wasn't old enough to say prayers. That is until Elijah started talking really well a couple months ago. He didn't have a single problem repeating what we said! Suddenly I realized what was up with Seara: she DOES NOT like to be told what to do. (Actually, I already knew that. I just realized that it extended to prayers as well.) So Seara never said prayers. Ever. Never repeated a single word. Only ever quipped "Amen!" at the end - probably in relief that we were done trying to persuade her to pray.

Then a couple weeks ago, completely out of blue, as Samuel started 'helping' Seara say her prayers before bed, Seara yelled out, "No! Let me do it, Daddy!" "Okay, go ahead Seara." Clear as day she recited:

Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for today.
Thank you for mommy, daddy, Sisi, Lije, and Enoch.
Bless President Monson.
Bless the Bishop.
Bless the missionaries.
In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Where on earth did that come from??! We were flabbergasted. Since then no one else has been able to get a prayer in edgewise. Every single family prayer (morning and night), every single food prayer, and every single other prayer (Family Home Evening*, etc.) she has INSISTED on saying. It might get tedious, if she didn't throw in gems like "Thank you for Ratatouille," "Bless the sun," and "Bless mom to wear pink" every now and again. These prayers are only gonna get better from here on out. I can't wait!

*Monday nights where we get together and have little lessons on gospel topics like Jesus Christ, prayer, gratitude, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------

A couple mornings ago, as Sam and I walked into the kids room to get them up for the day, the first thing we saw were four pages of the book Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss - ripped out and then ripped up. With a look of shock and dismay I asked, "What happened?!" Immediately Lija's face drooped with guilt.

Then our little dramatic Seara stuck her arms out, opened her hands in display form, and announced, "Ta-dah!" Sam burst out laughing, I stifled a giggle, and we jetted out of the room before we ruined the disciplining moment. Darn that Seara! Of course, in the breakfast prayer she said that morning she made sure to add, "Bless the Hop on Pop book that's broken."

--------------------------------------------------------

ELIJAH

We have officially broken Elijah's code. I can now manipulate him to do anything I want. It works like this:

Me: Elijah, come brush your teeth.
Lije: No! [giggles as he runs away]
Me: Lije, come give me a hug!
Lije: Okay! [comes barreling into my arms as fast as his little legs can carry him]

And seriously, it works every time. Ask for a hug and the kid is all yours! Of course, this makes perfect sense since after he wakes up from his nap he goes around the house finding every member of the family, yells their name ("Mommy!" "Seara!" "Daddy!" "Enoch!"), and gives them a big hug. As if he hasn't seen us in years.

I think Elijah's cutest talking mishap is that when he is tired he accidentally calls everyone "Lija." So the other night he was super tired as we put him to bed. Like falling asleep as we brushed his teeth. (Hmmm ... I don't think somebody slept during his naptime ...) So as I tucked him in bed he threw his arms around my neck and pulled me close, then whispered in my ear, "I love you, Lija ... [head shake] ... mama." It took a lot of internal strength not to laugh out loud at that one! Seriously, who knew that half the trouble of being a parent is trying not to laugh at your kids' antics??!

--------------------------------------------------------

ENOCH

Enoch is your typical 6 month-old. He can sit up as long as he is leaning forward to balance on his arms. He picks up toys. He babbles. My favorite babble is the one that sounds exactly like "yeah!" and that he seems to throw out whenever we ask questions. For example, "Enoch, is mom your favorite?" "Yeah!" Yup. I definitely love that one. :)

Enoch is my very first thumb sucker. I have to admit, I think it is just about the cutest thing in the entire world! Plus, it makes ten thousand times easier to comfort. Big fan of that. Seriously, if you took how laid-back Seara was as an infant, and added it to how friendly and smiley Elijah was as an infant, you'd get Enoch. He is such a sweet, smiley, mild-mannered baby. I think he must be God's method of keeping me sane.

16 comments:

Sam Ricks said...

Wow! I think my mom's gonna love this post. These are great stories.

Cara said...

Cute, cute stories! And the prayers do keep getting better. I love when the kids pray. It's so hilarious. Ethan has been saying stuff lately like, "bless that the bad guys will go to jail and they will get shocked" (he's talking static electricity- my kids have recently discovered that). Hallie said yesterday in morning family prayer, "bless the kids at school to have fun, bless dad at work, bless Ami to be good at home, and bless mom that she won't be lonely"- like I'm so lonesome while everyone is gone. Not quite. :) Fun, fun times. :)

Megan said...

Harrison and Seara must be the same age--he won't let anyone else in the house say prayers either. It HAS to be him. Good thing their prayers get pretty creative!

Davis Smith said...

Such cute stories! I loved them all. I am quite jealous that you can get Elijah to do anything by telling him to give you a hug! Lucky you!

Jodi said...

Very nice.
I do hope the dentist grandparent skips over the thumb sucking part. I've heard dentists don't like kids to suck their thumbs.

Rachel Sue said...

Cute kids! What a fun little family you have. We have had quite the number of books ripped up at our house as well. And you might thing that it was the 20 month old. . . but nope, it's the 4 year old. So watch out for that one.

katieo said...

I know it sounds trite, but this is all so precious!!
Seara and Luke sound a little similar in their not-wanting-to-be-told-what-to-do. (now I'm thinking about their eating, lol...)

and this, "who knew that half the trouble of being a parent is trying not to laugh at your kids' antics??!"
I know, I know! Sometimes when the boys in in trouble they'll try to pass gas. Why? Becuase Mommy has a hard time not laughing when she's disciplining and you rip a loud one with a straight face.

Jessica said...

I couldn't keep from laughing when I read about the hop on pop antics. I so know what you mean-- George is so funny it is really hard not to laugh at his shenanigans.

Erin said...

I love it... all of it. What great stories.

From what I've read of Seara with the potty training it sounds like she has a will of steel. No hug tricks with her I guess. At least when she finally decides to do it she does a great job! Maybe potty training will be the same- like flipping a switch.

I love that Elijah has to hug everyone after his naps. So are you telling me there will be no more stories putting him up for sale? Man, I'm going to miss those.

I have to say Enoch seems much more laid back than Charlotte. Charlotte isn't the most fussy baby but I definitely wouldn't say laid back. At least that's what I tell myself when I see that Enoch has been to every major historical landmark on the east coast and I'm scared to take Charlotte on a walk with a friend because she screams the whole time. Oh well.

steph said...

You make me laugh! i love the stories and i can't get over how cute your kids are! i can't wait to have those kind of experiences!

Bryan and Haylie said...

i love hearing about your kids! it's fun to put personalities to the cute pics you post. i'm pretty sure i know where Seara got her not liking being told what to do. :)

Jolie said...

ok. First of all, you go into your kids' room in the morning and WAKE THEM UP????? WHAT????????????
In my world I know now such thing. WHY????????????????????????????????????????????????

;-)

j/k It's the other way around in our house!! Josh and I are anything but morning people and our children--all three of them in fact--like to get up around 6-7 every day. They make their way to our bedroom and jump in bed with us with all the energy they have. Ug.

Second, your kids say the darndest things! Too cute. I think sometimes we try teaching them so many things that we think goes in one ear and right out the other. But then they do or say stuff to show us that all the instruction is being absorbed in one way or another.

Unknown said...

Your Dad hated to be told what to do. We lived in Littlerock, Ca when he was young (about 6, I'm thinking.) I used to pick all the "neighborhood" LDS kids up in our VW van for Primary (held in Palmdale) and I'd learned to let him run free until I had everyone else in the car. When I'd go for him, I always had a big battle to get him to go with us. I FINALLY got smart and started inviting him to go to Primary instead of telling him. The trick worked like a charm. Was I a slow learner, or what? Duh. By the way, Ole was my first thumb sucker. (ha ha ha)
Gr S
Stuart & Monta didn't suck their thumbs, Catie sucked two fingers, and the other kids I can't even remember. Weird.

Babydoll said...

I just think your kids are adorable. I loved hearing Enoch babble on the December video. That's pretty good. You never to cease to amaze me. You are such a good mom. Just taking time to remember the things your kids do is important. I love hearing the stories.

Matt said...

What cute kids! I can't wait to have stories to tell of my own =)

Krishele said...

Well, I'm really impressed by how good you are at remembering those comical moments. I think too many of us are amused (or not) by our kids in the moment, but then go about our day and never think of it again. Seriously, I think it's an awesome talent you have to pick out these experiences and remember to write them down. I really need to work on that one...any tips...?