Friday, January 30, 2009

Calvin's Snowmen, pt 2

Okay, okay. We're even.
It snowed here.
And they canceled school.
Not just for the kids. The universities closed too.
And I thought they were nuts.
But then I found out why.

See, snow in Maryland is promptly followed by rain and then freeze. Which quickly results in ICE. Ice like I have never seen after living a decade in Utah. The entire lawn at our church is one solid pane of ice. You could ice skate on it. At mutual the boys were dive-sliding across it. And they didn't make a single dent in the ice. It was crazy! Well, you obviously cannot make snowmen out of ice, so we'll just celebrate with more Calvin ...

click to enlarge











10 comments:

Cara said...

You have so converted me to Calvin snowmen. I always love the ones you post. It seriously makes me want to try it. Like the shark one. You could totally do that one. Wouldn't it be awesome???

By the way, we had that ice problem a few weeks ago. Our whole driveway was a sheet of ice. I couldn't drive up it, and it's barely slanted. It was crazy. And Pittsburgh use to cancel school so easily and I thought they were nuts...until I tried driving the Pittsburgh hills in it. Then I understood. Good luck with your ice.

Erin said...

What I wouldn't give to be as creative as Calvin. It's scary to drive on icy roads. I haven't had to do it much having lived in Arizona my whole life. When I lived in Flagstaff as soon as it would snow the sirens would start from all the accidents. Like I said, scary.

Babydoll said...

Freezing rain was what we got in Portland. The schools and universities would shut down for days. And the news would just say over and over "Please stay home, don't go out!" It was crazy. I always love your Calvin snowmen posts.

Jolie said...

You know, growing up I remember reading the Calvin & Hobbes comic strip in the newspaper. But until you've been posting all kinds of strips with snowmen in them, I never realized just how many about snowmen Watterson made. They're hysterical! Some day when I'm in an extra crazy mood I'm going to try one of his ideas out.

Sarah said...

Those are so great! I especially love the last one. Where do you find these? The snowman ones are my fave!
(Hey, you should check out my blog when you get a chance. I finally figured out the picture for the title thing!) :-)

janae said...

Jolie - you grew up reading these in the paper???! Man, that is cool. These aren't even all the snowmen. There a couple more that I edited out just because they were a bit more, um ... questionable? And then there are the Sunday strips. I'm gonna post those later. :)

janae said...

Sarah - these particular ones I actually found doing a google search, although most of the Calvin comics I post are ones I scanned myself. I read the entire series over the last few months and scanned my favorite ones, and I keep them in a folder to use any time I deem appropriate!

Sam Ricks said...

One of these days, I'll make something this cool! :)

Krishele said...

That's awesome! I'd love to see it as long as I didn't have to travel in it.

janae said...

oh ditto to that one Sheles. I've got the ideal weather worked out in my head:

Jan-Jun late spring (70-75*)
Jun-Aug summer (90*)
Sept-Nov early fall (70-75*)
Dec winter (now we can have snow, and lots of it. As long as it is gone by Jan 1st. And school, etc. is canceled.)

If only somewhere like that existed.