Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Strangest News of 2008

After last year's post, I excitedly tracked the news all year long to write this post. I've been anxiously awaiting the beginning of the new year to share some of my favorite news stories of 2008 ...


10 - Three tiger cubs born in a zoo in Ukraine were rejected by their mother. Luckily an obliging sow in a farm next door took them in and willingly nurses the cubs alongside her piglets.

9 - University of North Carolina decided to shake things up and receive their game football from a parachuting duo who would jump from above and land in the stadium. Unfortunately it was a cloudy day and the duo accidentally landed eight miles away - in the Duke stadium as their team was warming up for a game that was about to start.

8 - A New Zealand judge made a 9 year-old girl a ward of the court so that she could legally change her name - something her parents wouldn't let her do. For some reason the girl thought "Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii" was an embarrassing name.

7 - A 25 year-old Utah man decided to go home to his mother in Washington for Christmas. Since he had no car, he decided to steal a firetruck instead. The firemen noticed something was wrong when their heard their horn blaring from outside.

6 - A 44 year-old Australian man sold his "life" on ebay (including his home, car, spa, jet ski, bbq, job, and friends) for $383,000 after he and his wife separated.

5 - A New York man was propelled into the air and against the shower wall when the toilet he was using exploded.

4 - When he wanted the ice gone from his back porch, a Massachusetts man bypassed the shovel and reached for the blowtorch instead. Too bad he lit his own house on fire in the process.

3 - A 58 year-old homeless Tokyo woman lived for an entire year in a single man's closet before he noticed missing food and finally discovered her.

2 - A 78 year-old Swedish woman misunderstood when she was told at the airport to lay her bags down on the conveyor belt. Instead, the woman laid down on the belt herself. She ended up falling down the baggage shoot and being taken (on the conveyor belt) over to the baggage handling center. Luckily she still made her flight.

1 - When a 26 year-old Frenchman dropped his cellphone into the toilet of the train he was riding, he immediately reach in to grab it. Unfortunately the powerful suction flushing system grabbed him and he was trapped up to his shoulder. Firefighters finally removed him from the train with the entire toilet stuck to his arm.

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

You are a veritable treasure trove of information.

Jessica said...

Wow, those are hilarious. Where do you find these?

janae said...

Jessica - lots of them I just find randomly as I read cnn.com or the New York Times or what not. The rest I heard on Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me - a radio show on NPR. Then I looked them up to verify facts. :)

Erin said...

She lived undetected for a YEAR!? That is crazy! I just keep picturing this old ladies feet going down the baggage shoot. Great stories, I feel smarter (and entertained) from reading this post.

Rebecca said...

That is hilarious!! I remember hearing the one about the homeless woman, but not the others. I can't believe how dumb (wait, is that rude? Let's say instead how many people do not use that wonderful thing that fills their skull that we call a brain) some people can be.

How do you sell your job, unless it was his own business? And personally, I wouldn't be using my cell phone while using the john, but if I was, I would definitely not go after it in a public toilet. I would have a quick ceremony for the loss and buy another one. Eugh!

Thanks for the laughs. I needed them today.

Cara said...

Those totally got me laughing. Thanks!

katieo said...

Those are CAH RAZY.
I was off checking out a bunch of those links and forgot to come back and leave a comment.

I liked the homeless lady living in the dude's closet. Kind of makes me want to try it. Not for REAL, but you know, just to see if you could get away with it. ;)

Sam Ricks said...

I'm still wondering how the guy could have been blasted off the toilet seat like that. There must have been some serious pressure built up in his home's plumbing.

janae said...

Rebecca - his job was blue collar, and my understanding is that his boss agreed to let the person try it out for two weeks and then the boss reserved the right to hire them permanently. Or something like that. Weird, huh?!

Grandpa Ole said...

Yep, I knew it!!! Leave it to a Frenchman to be #1.

Joe said...

last time the toilet exploded while i was using it was pretty embarrassing

Krishele said...

What would we do without a bunch on dim whits around to make life a bit more entertaining?