BABE RUTH BIRTHPLACE
George Herman "Babe" Ruth, Jr. was born at 216 Emory Street in Baltimore. There is now a museum there, set up so that you walk through the tiny town house and even see the room that Babe was born in.
As a kid, his parents worked long hours in their tavern, and let Babe run wild. When he was 7 years old his parents sent him to a reformatory and orphanage called St. Mary's Industrial School for Boys and signed over their parental rights to the nuns. He was there until age 19, when the manager of the minor-league Baltimore Orioles discovered him and wanted to sign a contract. Since the age of majority was 25, the manager had to adopt Ruth to bring him on the team. The other teammates called Ruth "Jack's newest babe" which is how he got the nickname "Babe."
Babe Ruth thought he was born on February 7, 1894 until 1934, when he requested a copy of his birth certificate so that he could get a passport to Japan. When the birth certificate arrived he found out he was actually born February 6, 1895.
In 1938 Babe took a job as the First Base Coach for the Brooklyn Dodgers, in hopes that he would be offered the manager's position at the end of the season. When he wasn't chosen, he quit. Not managing was the worst disappointment of his life. (Makes you respect him a little more that he actually tried to become manager of the one true team, doesn't it?)
Babe never looked so good! (I'm referring to the uniform.)

11 comments:
Hey thanks for the history lesson- that's a shame that his parents gave their parental rights over to the orphanage. I'm still jealous you live back east and get to visit all of these fabulous places- there's so much HISTORY back there in the east. Glad you guys are enjoying yourselves, and you're right, Babe Ruth wasn't much of a BABE, but come on, look at those cheeks of his, they look like a bulldogs, maybe I could have learned to love them.
Looks like such a fun trip! We get so jealous looking at your blog!
Wow. I learned a lot about the great bambino. :)
It really seems strange they didn't let Babe manage. I mean, he was the biggest name in baseball!
As usual, I love your photos.
(Except for that photo of me in front of Ruth's bedroom. What you don't see in that picture is the child I'm trying to keep from squeezing through the restraining bars and into the exhibit. And the other child I'm holding who has gone floppy on me. Hence the somewhat forced smile on my face!)
That's pretty cool that he could rise up and achieve even after being given away by his parents. Most people probably would have grown up bitter and sulky.
The most I knew about him before was what they said about him on the movie Sandlot. Yeah...not so great a history lesson, but entertaining nonetheless. :)
Oh by the way, I just happened my Debbie's blog and she tagged up both on her Nov. 13th post. Yeah, I expect good things from you on that one!
yeah, i wish i could do cool things like you guys. My weekend consists of a box of cheez-its and writing papers. definately not too exciting :)
You guys always go to the coolest places! I miss living on the east coast soo much! :( (Well... except when my mom calls and tells me that it snowed 13" and I'm sitting in shorts and a tee shirt because its still 70 degrees out.) The baseball hall of fame is awesome if you ever get the chance to make it up to New York. Cooperstown is a really cute place- and they have REALLY good pizza there!
Post a Comment