Friday, November 14, 2008

Could you sign this off for me?

Back in August I told you I had been called as the Personal Progress Coordinator*. Well, even though I earned my Young Womanhood Recognition back when I was a teenager, I really like the new silver medallion and the only way to get one is to do my Personal Progress all over again. So I've been working on it. My most recent experience was for Knowledge - this is what I had to do:

In your journal list talents you have and others you would like to develop. Read Matthew 25:14–30. Learn a new skill or talent that will help you care for your own future family or home (for example, playing the piano, singing, budgeting, time management, cooking, sewing, or child care). Share with your family, class, or Young Women leader what you have learned.
I've done everything for this but the sharing part. So I'm sharing with you. :) I already have a home and family, and already posses most of the skills they listed (in their most crude and basic forms). So I decided to branch. Remember my lame birthday brownies? Well, I decided I'd like to work on my cake decorating talent (or lack thereof). Elijah's birthday is tomorrow, so I copied my cousin and made these for his birthday:



Oh, did you want to see them closer?




Even CLOSER??

I made a boy and girl of each - fly, centipede, beetle, worm, spider, and slug.





They were pretty simple, but I love how colorful they are. What I learned? Gel icing is NOT the same as regular cake decorating icing. It is way harder to work with. Don't buy it, even if the store only has the color and size you want in the gel kind. And that cake decorating isn't as hard as I thought. Too bad I don't love cake. (I actually only made half the box of this one cuz I knew we couldn't eat more than that. Do you know how hard it is to put in 1 1/2 eggs??)


So ... could you sign this off for me in my Personal Progress book?


*Personal Progress is a program that all girls 12-17 work on - kind of like a religious, feminine version of scouting. You set goals and learn skills based on increasing faith, divine nature, individual worth, knowledge, choice & accountability, good works, and integrity. When you finish the whole program you get the Young Womanhood in Recognition award and beautiful necklace medallion. Leaders who serve with the Young Women can work on it as well.

20 comments:

Megan said...

LOVE them! I may have to copy you because Harrison would be thrilled with this treat!

Erin said...

Consider this my personal John Hancock in your book! Way cute! I did the personal progress program over again too because I also wanted the silver medallian. Good for you. I love making goals anyway. Those bugs are way cute and I did want to see them closer and CLOSER! So now you have to tell the rest of us non cake people how you did it!

Paige said...

I am mucho impressed! Love the bug cupcakes! Adorable. Happy Birthday Elijah!! I love that you made a boy and girl one of each bug. Just like Noah. :) Thanks for the close ups--too cute!

Leah said...

I love the cupcakes! What a great idea, and you did a great job. Happy Birthday Elijah, and Happy Personal Progress.

allie said...

How CUTE! I love them! Great job, Janae!

Cara said...

I like it muy much! (I remember the quote now.) :) You know I will be copying this idea as soon as I have the opportunity. I love it! Good work!

steph said...

Wow those are so cute! I love it! If I had the authority to I would totally sign that off!

Kristine said...

Those are so cute!!! You did awesome! I'll sign you off.

Sarah said...

Those are incredible! Way to go! I'll pass you off. I've really wanted the silver medallion too. My gold one is okay, but SILVER! :-) I didn't realize that you had to work on it all over again to get the silver one. Hmmm... I think doing Personal Progress again would be fun! Good for you, Janae!

Karen said...

It makes me laugh that you did only half the box!! These are VERY cute! I've never really decorated a cake besides putting sprinkles on. I think that's neat that you are working on the award again.

Anonymous said...

It looks like you spent a ton of time on those. They look awesome! We stole your idea of putting the new Pixar video on our blog. Hope you are ok with that! :)

SNSsoup said...

THOSE are ADoRaBle Janae!!! I'm so impressed you've decided to redo personal progress- I think once is enough for me. Anyhow- Happy Birthday Elijah- wow he's gonna be two! Aren't you excited- now it will sound so much better to strangers when they ask completely taken by how many young children you have- now you can say, my oldest is 3, my son is 2, and the baby's 4 months. It sounds much better than saying, 2, 1 and the baby's 2 months- ya know what I mean? I LOVE LOVE LOVE those cupcakes- they are adorable- you HAVE TO email me and tell me real quick how you made the different little critters- (i.e. what candy's you used)- I think I might be copying your idea to share with my boys- they LOVE BUGS!

Erin said...

Sorry to comment again... I think it's so funny you made a boy and girl or each bug..like Noah's Ark. I wouldn't want to be on an ark with all those bugs though!

Julie B said...

Those are absolutely adorable!! Being a previous cake decorator at the Lion House Bakery I give you an A+! So, would you email me what you used for each of those? I must know.

denise @ little ant design said...

Seriously so cute! You get my signature in your personal progress book

heidizinha said...

janae, those are so cute! i'm so impressed. cake decorating is pretty fun.

and i'm so glad you're doing your personal progress. i was in young women for 2.5 years and i never finished. blast!

Cranberryfries said...

Kudos on the awesome artwork girl! Way to go.

Rebecca said...

ooh. Pretty. I'm impressed.

Asialene said...

I work on my PP whenever I meet with the girls I mentor (so not all that often). But I just realized, after a year, that the leaders only have to do half the work! I was pretty happy when I found out and I also thought it was kind of funny.

Sharene said...

I also did my Personal Progress when I was an adult leader. It was a great experience. We didn't have the cool silver medallions- we had the big gold girl pendant- still it is a nice thing to have. I am the YW president in our ward. I'll sign it off for you! (the cupcakes are "delicious", I bet!