
Do you know how hard it is to convince a former two year-old that they are actually three years old now? REALLY HARD. This was all we talked about yesterday:
"Seara, you are three years old now!"
"No, two."
"Today is your birthday, you are three now."
"No! I'm two!"
"Fine, say you're two. But you're really three."
It took us long enough to try to explain that it was her birthday. Once she got that she announced she wanted a "butterfly birthday cake." Blast. Samuel and I aren't really big cake people. We like them just fine at someone else's house, but to make a gigantic cake for just the two of us to eat? Never. In fact, I have only made one cake our entire marriage. And half of it got trashed. We usually do cinnamon rolls, cheesecake, etc. for birthdays. I was actually planning on making Seara brownies. So a butterfly birthday cake?? Sorry, sweetheart. When it comes to birthdays you got a LAME mommy. I don't do cakes like Cara, or princess parties like Asialene, or pirate parties like Lyndi. (In case you are worried, I'm okay with my lameness. I have totally come to terms with it. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for the kids to to do so as well.) So I talked to Samuel and he made me butterfly stencils, and I sprinkled powdered sugar through them onto the brownies. (The brownies that we called cake because I didn't want to make cake. She doesn't know the difference - is that awful of us?) Here's a picture. Thanks to Sam, it turned out pretty cute. Albeit lame. :)
Well, my goof-ball of a baby is growing up. But she is still the same in a lot of ways. She is independent, stubborn, and hyper-focused (don't you try to distract her when she is mad!) She hates being comforted when she is upset and she hates people touching her stuff. She loves to hide in small places and to do things by herself. She makes up her own crazy words to songs and dances like a nut. (The dancing is not her fault - you should see Sam and I dance. He looks like a bobble-head doll and I look like I'm being electrocuted.) Man, we are crazy about her!!
I can't believe that Seara is three - but more than that I can't believe that she has TWO little brothers. What on earth were we THINKING??? :)
Monday, July 28, 2008
My Baby is 3!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

15 comments:
i'm very impressed by the "cake." i think it looks way good!
The "cake" is awesome! Leave it to you and Sam to turn a regular pan of brownies into an art project. I can't believe Seara is three! You need to tell that she's not allowed to grow anymore. This is it for her. :)
Okay, your description of you guys dancing is hilarious.
And I also thought it was hilarious when you said you had come to terms with your lameness.
You are NOT lame. :)
But that was still pretty funny.
And I think that cake idea is awesome. I bet she was stoked.
ok those butterfly stencils are amazing! He's so talented! I was actually at the dentist & saw his art work on the wall the other day. I also can't believe Seara is 3 & that she has 2 little brothers! You're a better woman than I am! I about pull all my hair out somedays & I only have 2 kids :)
Isn't it strange how fast they grow up? Mine is going to Kindergarten next year! Sometimes I stand there and look at my kids and it feels like I've just been playing house all this time. It's weird to think that I'm solely responsible for them. I still feel like I'm 20 inside my head. Life continues to evolve, resist it or not, it will keep trucking on second by second, day by day and there's nothing I can do about it. Crazy! Seara is so cute...I'm still amazed by her tower of blocks.
Okay, first off, I laughed out loud at your dance descriptions. Those need to make it into the monthly videos.
Secondly, I loved your last comment. And I totally agree with what Krishele said. It feels so weird that I have a kindergartener AND a 2nd grader this year. And everytime I say that Hallie is in 2nd grade, I have to stop and think because it doesn't sound right at all. Is she really going into 2nd grade??? I remember being in 2nd grade! It wasn't that long ago!
And finally, way to use your talents and make a "cake" with some awesome personality and cuteness! (And thanks for making me feel like I have a talent- though deep down we all know I'm faking it!)
I thought the "cake" was perfect. I love the picture of Seara. She is one cute girl. I can't believe how much she looks like you.
The cake is awesome, especially the butterfly stencils.
Wow, Seara is 3, and you have 3 three and under. Things are finally just getting exciting eh? he he. So you have 3 birthdays all close together, what a fun and busy time :) I actually like the stencil and powdered sugar cakes, I did one like that for George's birthday, except that I didn't do anything exciting like a butterfly, I just did his name (It was kind of a last minute resort because the frosting was really gross. How handy to have an artist available to make a stencil just like that to make Seara's birthday dreams come true :)
I do love the brownies, and they look beautiful. But how dare you lie to your sweet innocent daughter! ;)
Don't worry about Seara not realizing it was her birthday, your children are normal :) On America's Got Talent, all the time kids go up on the stage and sing, and then the judges are like "You made it to the next round! You are going to Las Vegas!" And the kids just stare at them all confused until they tell them to run to their parents. The kids run to their parents and still have no idea what just happened. They just hug their crying parents and have the same straight confused face they had when the judges told them they were going to Vegas. haha.
And you may be lame (haha)... but I like you just the way you are! :)
You guys are so funny. Way to go with the cake, it looks great. I would have done the same thing with naming brownies a cake, so either you're not really lame or I am too(he he). The world needs lame people anyway.
Happy birthday Seara, she is getting so big and as always is cute as ever.
The "cake" looks great! You'd hate to see how my family went all out for birthdays. I usually did interesting things with balloons and streamers (I have pictures to document my weirdness), and my Mom was very inventive with the birthday cakes - no bought cakes for her! One year she made my brother (who is very into Japan) a Japanese garden cake complete with panda bear and a mirror for a looking pond. WOW! lol Don't feel too bad. I think cheesecake, brownies and cinnamon rolls are a pretty awesome idea!
P.S. Seara looks so much like you in that last picture, Janae! Happy Birthday to her!
Wow, already three. What a beautiful little girl. What lucky little boys to have her around.
Wow, already three. What a beautiful little girl. What lucky little boys to have her around.
I love that picture of Seara. Her hair is so cute.
I am so impressed with that cake! What a great idea.
Post a Comment