Friday, November 7, 2008

Eastern Excursion 14: Washington DC

The last time I actually visited these monuments was July 1986. I was four years old. I have only one memory: standing in front of the Lincoln Memorial statue, wanting nothing more than to climb on his lap, and wondering why my mom wouldn't let me ...

WASHINGTON, D.C.

I had to include this map so you can see how far we walked. Letters A & N are where we parked, and I included those just to see how far we walked - 9.9 miles according to the map, over 10 according to us because we walked around inside some of the monuments. We were really tired after this trip!



B The National Archives holds the original Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights. We also saw the Louisiana Purchase, the Emancipation Proclamation, and a copy of the 1297 Magna Carta. (top left)

C The Capitol Building
is where congress meets - the Senate in the left wing, the House in the right. George Washington laid the cornerstone for the building in 1783. (both bottom - and say good bye to my very favorite sweater - some time after this picture it got lost)

D The Supreme Court Building
was not built until 1935 - before then the Supreme Court met in the basement of the Capital Building. The most interesting thing I learned was that on Sunday, January 13, 2002, a wild fox got inside the building. Police officers spotted it and security was able to see it on their video cameras, but it still took more than a day to capture the fox because the marble floors made the fox hard to track! (top center)

E The Library of Congress was established in 1800, although this building wasn't built until 1897. The main thing the library does is research inquiries made by members of Congress. Although it is open to the public, only legislators, Supreme Court justices and other high-ranking government officials may check out books. (top right)


F The Washington Monument cornerstone was laid on July 4, 1848. Halfway through building it they took a 30 year hiatus (because of the Civil War and funding problems), so it wasn't complete until December 6, 1884. You can actually see a difference in the shading of the marble from the initial construction and the resumption. Yeah, I never noticed before either. (My mom is the woman looking backwards, I am the curly-haired blondy standing next to her.)



G The Jefferson Memorial was built in 1937 in honor of Thomas Jefferson, one of the founding fathers and third president of the United States. (Center pic: me, Cara, Davis, Trenton)



H The Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial is dedicated to that president and the work he did during the Great Depression.





I The Lincoln Memorial was built in 1922 in honor of Abraham Lincoln, the 16th President of the United States.





J Korean War Veterans Memorial was dedicated in 1995 to honor those who fought in that war. (bottom left - can you see us?)

K Vietnam Veterans Memorial was completed in 1982 (the year I was born) to honor the service men and women who fought in that war. (bottom right - there we are again!)

L The National World War II was opened in 2004 to honor over 400,000 Americans who died in the war. (bottom center)

M The White House was built between 1792 and 1800, and has been the home of every US president since John Adams. W & Co. live there now, but soon the Obama Co. will be taking over! (top)



I love Enoch's praying stance and Elijah's kissy face!

19 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow, there is a lot to see in D.C. It looks like it was a ton of fun!

Aubrey said...

What fun! What a walk! I remember being beat after every day during my Washington, D.C. and I didn't have kids to tote around at the time.

Sharalea said...

you guys are high energy tourists!!! How do you pack so much in one day??

Megan said...

Wow. You packed a lot into one day! I love visiting D.C.

Cara said...

Crazy but I had a friend that just did this trip last week and has been posting about it too. You have some of the same pictures. Crazy. It was fun to see those old pictures. I don't think I have any of those. Also, one of my few memories is the same as yours...staring up at the Lincoln Memorial and wanting so badly to climb up and sit on his lap. Wouldn't it be cool??

Lissa Nelson said...

Wow, that kid does make a great kissy face! :)

steph said...

That's a lot to see in one day, but so worth it! I still haven't been to the east coast... and to D.C. to see all that cool stuff! But i don't have to worry because I will probably end up living there since Adam is going into Political Science. It's not bad living there, is it?
Oh Haha btw the first time you went to see the D.C. sights, I wasn't even born. I was -1.

Mel said...

I went to DC a few years ago on a BYU trip. I asked someone to take a picture of our group in front of the Lincoln. I didn't know that I needed to specify that I wanted Lincoln in the picture. The picture came back without Lincoln's head and tons of extra space below our feet.

PS--Jeffrey said you should have titled this post Ms. Smith Goes to Washington.

Asialene said...

Those old pictures were so fun to see! Davis says he remembers the shirt he's wearing. What a fun outing. I am still so impressed with all these fun excursions you do with your entire family.

Jolie said...

I was wondering when you guys were gonna get to the "Casa Blanca", the WA monument, etc. I've always wanted to look out over the grounds near that huge reflecting pond, face the WA monument, and yell, "Jenny!!!!!!!!" (Forrest Gump reference, there.)

hehehehe

You guys sure got your exercise that day.

Lyndi said...

don't you love how trenton's thighs are the same size as his ankles?

Melanie said...

Wow! That was quite a trip. Thanks for the tour. I've never been to DC. I've always wanted to make the trip.

ALYN said...

I hope you burned some good calories! I swam in that reflecting pool. 1993. I love the vintage pictures with little Janae!

Anonymous said...

Well... I went to Macey's last night... My Utah Excursion year two!

Leah said...

I want to go to D.C. some day, looks so fun. And that little Enoch is growing up isn't he? Cute family as always!

allie said...

I love all your pictures! I think it's so great that you guys are getting out and seeing everything around you. You guys will have great memories!

Erin said...

I feel so patriotic all of the sudden! So sorry about the sweater. Thanks for the virtual field trip.

Sam Ricks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sam Ricks said...

The shots of us reflected in the Vietnam and Korean War Memorials look awesome, Janae! I have to admit that in spite of the fact that I wanted to move on, those pics do look really neat.

The FDR Memorial is one of my favorite spots in DC. It's really well designed and I like the way they combine the rock structures with vegetation. I could handle a nice Toto dog like Pres. Roosevelt's got, too.