Saturday, July 31, 2010

the (Great?) Salt Lake

Confession: I have lived in Utah for 15 years, but I have never touched the Great Salt Lake.



In fact, I've only seen it a handful of times. I went dancing at Saltair (above), but stayed as far away from the shore as possible. I went boating on the lake, but never got near the water. My only other sightings are from freeways and airplanes.

Here is the problem: I see beautiful pictures, like the ones below, and I think, "Why don't I go there more often?! I'm totally missing out!!"



But then I remember that the lake is also home to these:


And they live right on/in the lake. See?



Yeah. Now I remember why I don't go there. I'm pretty sure I'm not missing out at all.

11 comments:

Erin said...

Pretty much the grossest body of water I've ever swam in. And that's saying something- I learned to swim in fish ponds- I'm not squeamish normally but walking through hordes of flies to get the water is pretty bad. Then you have to walk for like half a mile to get above your knees (at least where I went) and man does it sting if you have any cuts. The whole floating thing is cool. Come on Janae you have to try it at least once just to say you did!
PS Feel free to give your friend my e-mail too if she has any questions. I know I couldn't sleep first trimester because I kept thinking of scenarios with twins.

Katie said...

Not a big loss, I'd say. As a kid we went there during one of our vacations to Utah, and I just remember the little teeny flying bugs everywhere. And an odd smell.

Stacy Lynn Carroll said...

Are you serious?! I LOVE swimming in the great salt lake! Have you ever been sailing with Joe Broschinsky? He will take you out in the middle of the lake and the water feels wonderful! Plus, floating because of all the salt is so fun! Yeah, you need a shower afterwards. But that's true of any lake! I've gone swimming right off the shore from antelope island too. So fun!

Jolie said...

I thought the same thing when I saw it for the first time a few years ago! My in-laws just bought a house in Tooele, so we drive by the "great" Salt Lake every time we come to visit.
Between the lake and the ever-so-lovely view of the refinery on the left, it doesn't exactly make for a beautiful stretch of driving. ;-)
Good thing the rest of Utah makes up for it!! There are so many other places in the state that take your breath away. Strawberry Lake is one of my favs. ;-)

Gr S said...

Did you know my first date with PMS was dancing at Saltair on the Great Salt Lake? There was a big paviilion --open air-- where they had "big bands" playing. It hung over the Lake and was very romantic. I can remember when the Lake didn't have so many sand flies. I skiipped school a couple of times to go to the Lake and lay out. Ahhh-- those were the days.

Joe said...

I think it's funny that the Great Salt Lake is too dirty for you, but then you like this
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_uYPBzW6LYsc/SnotzJb2E1I/AAAAAAAAD2M/dzWNNcD4-iE/s1600-h/IMGA0365.JPG

:)

Cara said...

Haha! I like Joe's comment! :) You've done more than I have. I've never even been to it. I'm sure I've seen it from the freeway or an airplane or something, but I don't remember. The idea is cool though (minus the bugs, of course).

Kelli said...

Ewww... I guess I'm glad I never bothered to see it when I lived there either.

janae said...

Joe - That mud is completely clean! No beetles. No brine shrimp. Need I say more?

Krishele said...

I once did an 80 mile race on Joe Bro's sail boat. There were microbursts so bad that night that planes blew over at the airport. I remember looking over the side of the boat (which was practically laying sideways in the water) and seeing the keel of the boat next to us. It was pretty intense. All of my clothes were all crusted with salt by the end. But I wouldn't trade it for anything. What a great experience. On other occasions on Joe's boat, we've enjoyed BBQ and beautiful sunsets. Plus the bugs are practically non existent when you're out in the middle of the lake.

Stephen and Debbie said...

Never been... Never want to...