10) DC License Plates - The Revolutionary soldiers used the slogan against the Brits; the DC-ites use it against Congress. But how on earth did it get approved this time around?!
9) The License Plate Game - Forget long trips, back east you can play the game any time you get in the car! We'd see eight or ten different states just driving to church.
8) Highly Intellectual Church Meetings - Holy hannah, smart people. Church was full of big words and scientific concepts. I definitely grew brain cells in this ward! But I still stick by my previous comment, "I already wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed or the brightest crayon in the box, but dang. In this shed I think I'd be a wheelbarrow and in this box I'm probably puce." Picture below are our closest friends (love you guys!) from Maryland, Guy and Michelle. Both have PhDs. Case. in. point.
7) The Washington DC Temple - Just a reminder that the DC temple is in Maryland, thereby making me cooler.
6) Hardee's - [sigh] Yes, I miss this place more than the DC temple. It's true. I can go to the temple in Utah, but NOTHING compares to Hardee's charbroiled burgers. (Not even Carl's Jr, which shares the same logo.)
5) Really, Really Hard Rain - Hey, Utah! You thought these last two weeks were hard rain? Dream on! You ain't seen nothin yet!!
4) Amazing Architecture - Out west, old buildings are a hundred years old. Back east, old buildings are 300 years old. Amazing.
3) Baltimore - What a unique place. Such character, such craziness, such charm. Man, I love that city!
2) The Proximity to DC - Seriously, when will I ever again be able to hop, skip, and jump to a historian's paradise? You could go every week and never get sick of that place.
1) Ever Green - I stuck my arm out of the car and took this picture. No photoshop, no nothing. That's just what it looked like. On the five minute drive from a friend's place to ours. No place on earth has more oxygen than the East!
Monday, June 15, 2009
Top 10 Things We Miss About Maryland
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

18 comments:
You convinced Dan...he's ready to move back east. I don't know if I'm ready, but I'd love to visit. I think it's awesome all the places you guys got to visit while you were there.
Maryland seems like a really neat place to visit and live. What a cool opportunity you had to travel before your kids were even in school. Thanks for all the inspiring blogs you do.
We made the list!!! I love the picture! I have to say that I agree with all of your items. However, if you are the puce in the church meetings then I am definitely the white crayon. I mean really who uses the white crayon??? To further support my premise I consulted wiki answers about the least popular crayon color and I was correct. I think I just showed all of your friends that we are pretty geeky here in Maryland. Oh well I know that Sam is laughing at the comment.
You are truly missed out here as well. If you are still in Utah in august we will have to get together when we come out- I am praying that this will not be the case for your sake. Until then we will stay updated by your blogs and we will send you current pics of Doug!
Hey. Puce sounds ugly, but I think it's a pretty color. Be proud to be puce! :) I love the green back east also. Someone here was telling me how beautiful and green it was out here in Nebraska, and I thought, WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??? But then I remembered they were comparing it to the west. That was probably my favorite thing about living east for 6 years. It was SO BEAUTIFUL!!!
Every time I read about how much you guys love the east coast, I secretly wish Andy would read it and go, "Oh yeah- it is pretty AMAZING! We should move there!" Alas, we are stuck in the GULF where its 100 out before lunch time... YUCK!
I'm very glad you understand the greatness of the east now. :) I try to tell people all the time. Particularly the rain comment. Yay!
It's so on my bucket list.
I'm impressed. I think that if we had to move so far away from family I would spend most of the time mourning that rather than appreciating all the cool stuff around me. Good job.
You're getting me really excited to go out there! I wish I had you as a tour guide (you probably should consider going into that ;-)) Too bad we missed ya though.
you are TOO cute. i can't believe we didn't make your top 10 (just kidding). i LOVE the green here too--it amazes me every day. and the thunderstorms are INCREDIBLE. we had a great one last week.
I totally agree with you! Utah doesn't even compare to the east coast in a lot of ways. Matt is super against humidity though, so there isn't much chance I'll ever get him to live out there. =(
I might die when I move out west.
You're invited to the funeral.
And Cheeburger Cheeburger. I love that place!
Amen to Sam's comment. Seriously, that place rocked!
It would be pretty tough moving back to the desert after living in a place where trees grow spontaneously.
What's up with the east that makes people so much smarter anyway? Just more gumption to get out and learn stuff? Maybe the climate has a special way of NOT allowing your kids to suck out all your brain cells when they are born, perhaps? Seriously, I'd like to hear your take on it.
#11 I miss the Eastern Excursions. Where am I going to get my history lesson from now?
I love how green it is. Crazy how smart your ward was!
Hey Janae, thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to have old friends visit. :)
I love the east. My sister just moved home (this week) from a 3 year stint in Virginia. I'm so glad I got to go out and visit but it was certainly not long enough. It's like NY. There is just SO many things you can do there all the time. I'm hoping to make a long (a few weeks) trip out there next year to travel all over.
(Oh and I dont know if this has anything to do with it but I read Krishele's comment and was thinking about that. I wonder if it's just because there are so many prestigious schools out there that you're bound to run in to them, does that make sense? I know there are some out west but I think they are fewer and farther between.)
Sorry for the novel comment.
Oh man, I hear you about Hardees! Nothing beats their breakfasts - egg, bacon and cheese biscuits (light flaky and non-dry like MickeyD's...) and their cinnamon rolls thingys? Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh..........
So, if everything works out for us to move to Baltimore, we definitely know what we're looking forward too! Aaah, oxygen.
When I was a kid, Hardee's was called Roy Roger's. Just thought you'd like to know.
You don't know me and its kind of random how I stumbled upon your blog but I just wanted to say thank you. for number 1 your post about choosing the make your kids your life and not part of your life. I don't have kids yet, I'm trying to finish school first but there is always the knowledge in the back of my mind that I won't get to use what I'm working for because I'm suppose to (and want to... just sometimes less than others) have kids. Second my husband and I are suppose to work in DC for a year after graduation. I'm kind of dreaded it but from this post maybe it won't be so bad.
Thanks
Post a Comment