
I think little babies with earrings look precious - so feminine and so pretty. But I didn't pierce Seara's ears when she was an infant. Let me tell you why.
I'm not a "If God wanted holes in your ears he would have put them there himself" sort of person, although my grandpa was. I'm not a "I just don't want to have to deal with that on top of everything else" sort of person, although my sister is. And, I'm not a "They need to be old enough to take care of it themselves" sort of person, although my friend is.
No, I'm just bitter. Here's why.
When I was 5 and my sister Cara was 7, she got her ears pierced. Obviously I wanted mine pierced sooooo badly at the same time. That's what we tag-a-long, copy-cat little sisters do. My parents told me I had to wait until I was 7, too.
So I waited.
For two loooong years.
When I turned 7 my parents pushed it back yet another year. Boohoo! Finally, at the ripe old age of 8, I got my ears pierced. Of course, my own tag-a-long, copy-cat, 5 year-old little sister, Lissa, wanted hers done at the same time. And of course, my parents told her she had to wait until she was 8. Oh wait. No they didn't. No, they let her pierce hers at 5. I've been bitter ever since.
So when Seara was born I didn't pierce her ears. No, I'm waiting. For her to ask me. That way I can say,
YES!
ps. You don't really think I'm bitter, do you? DO YOU? Because I'm not. Just a reminder: take all dramatic things Janae says with a grain of salt!
Friday, June 19, 2009
Bitter About Earrings
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

16 comments:
I would be bitter too! That is terrible! I was lucky. Katie got her ears pierced at 9 I think, and I really wanted them pierced then too (at age 7.5). I begged my mom and she said no. When I begged more, she told me I could if I was good for one whole week (thinking that was doubtful). But guess what? I was good for one whole week. So there. I got mine pierced at age 7.5.
Man I can't believe your parents got away with that! Kids hate it when parents aren't fair.
My older sisters had to wait until they were 13. There was no way they would let my parents let us "little girls" get our ears pierced any earlier. My thing is that I don't want to pierce them until they want it... kind of like what you said. My sister Marti never got hers done.
You definitely have license to be bitter. I don't remember getting my ears pierced the first time. I think I was 3 1/2. But I remember how excited I was when I was told I could get my second holes. I was 12. And then, my freshman year at BYU, the prophet said we should only have our ears pierced once. Grandma S called me and said, "I'll take out mine if you take out yours." And that was the end of that. But I think it is smart of you to wait until she can ask to have hers pierced.
I have always loved that picture of Seara. So cute! Sorry you have a tragic ear-piercing story. I should have been more sensitive about it. :)
very cute picture.
I'm the "not until they are old enough to take care of it." My husband on the other hand is "if God had wanted holes in your ears. . ." (you should hear is sister go off on it.) We'll see what happens. . .
I'm having the strangest feeling of deja vu with this post. ;-) I don't think we are going to be super strict about the age thing. We'll probably just wait and see what happens. But I like your idea to just wait until she asks.
Thank you! THAT was what was on my mental to do list today (for some reason they always are forgotten - I should write them down.) Get Ceci's ears pierced. Now we just have to remember in the next 4 hours and find a place.
btw, all the other girls' earrings are out right now and Alex's ear is infected. Maybe there's something about the "take care of it themselves" idea. Hmmm....too late for us, I guess. :)
HA! I had to wait til I was twelve.
My sister was nine.
I know. OH, how I know.
Jenae~ you crack me up!
That is really cute of you to want to be able to say "yes" the first time. Before you know it, it'll be here! Time just flies and I can't believe how fast the kids are growing. It will be fun when the day finally happens (or maybe she won't ever notice and never even ask... haha! do you wear earrings much? does she ever wear pretend earrings?). I am curious to see what age it will be. What is your assumption?
Asialene - Actually, no, I don't really wear earrings. I did for about four months when I first cut my hair boy short, but I lost one and that was that. Other than that I think I've worn earrings two times since 2002. My bet would be some time around kindergarten or first grade ...
I completely agree. I can't wait to enforce my power to make my children wait for all those things I couldn't stand waiting for. As for the earring thing, once I finally got mine done (when we were in utah for a family reunion actually) after a year they got infected and I could never wear them again. So the longer the wait the better I think.
I had to wait until I was 18! So no sympathy for anyone here!!! :) Well, maybe for you Janae, because that's just unfair! But, I had to wait forever, and then had problems with infection, and such. And finally got them re-pierced when I turned 25. I like your idea of just saying YES when she asks. I may just have to do that too.
You know, I think with each subsequent child, parents get more and more lax about which battles they choose to fight. I think it's because with each child they get more and more tired. Not that that's fair...but that's my logical explanation for it anyway. I can't even recall when my sisters got their ears pierced...and I was 9 when I had mine done. I guess this whole not remembering things DOES have some perks. :)
Well, I'd be at least a little ticked off. At least you didn't have it as bad as Erik's sister. The parents were saying she could have her ears pierced if she moved out. She went to college, got them pierced and is back home for the summer! lol (I had to wait until I was 11.) Oh well. I just couldn't do it to a baby though.
Hey, it was great seeing you guys!
Post a Comment