Monday, March 23, 2009

All Things Seara

I thought kids weren't supposed to start dissing their parents until they became, oh I don't know, teenagers or something. Yet this is how Seara reacted to my dancing in the kitchen a couple days ago.

to me: Mommy, no dancing.
to Sam: Daddy, mommy was dancing bad.

Thanks a lot, Seara. I mean, I knew I couldn't dance. But my THREE YEAR-OLD can tell?? I think that just about solidifies my resolve to never, ever, ever go dancing again. But we will still hold Dancing Time every day. Even if watching me is torturous to Seara.

________________________________________


Seara is also starting to take on her roll as being the bossy oldest child. The other day I was opening a door and she was on the otherside, so I accidentally bonked her head with the door. This was our conversation:

Seara: Mommy! No hitting Sisi! Can you say I'm sorry?
Me: I'm sorry!
Seara: Okay. If you hit Sisi again, you go to timeout.

Excuse me?? You can't send me to timeout! Bossy pants.

________________________________________


A few weeks ago Seara started putting eye-like dots on her scribbles:


Then Friday she drew this:



She obviously got the right genes from her daddy - this girl is going places! ;) I mean, she has already surpassed her mother in artistic skill, talent, and recognizability. No seriously, I think she does draw better than I do. I'm bad. I mean really bad. Let me explain. Because Sam is a naturally talented artist he came into our marriage with this idea that everyone could draw pretty well. So one day I was trying to explain to him that I really couldn't draw, but he wouldn't believe me. I decided to prove it by drawing him a picture. I tried really hard to do a good job because I had this secret hope that it might turn out well and that he'd say something like, "See! You can too draw!" His response? "You're just trying to draw badly to prove your point." Um, no honey. I wasn't. But apparently I did prove my point.

12 comments:

Rebecca said...

Addison is SOOOOOO bossy too! She always wants Bart & I to color with her, and sometimes she will put the color she wants you to use in your hand, put your hand to the paper, and start shaking it to get you to color in the spot she wants! Little stinker! Too bad it's so stinking funny. I'm hoping it's just a phase.

Addison's drawing skills come from her dad too. The other day she drew a spider...WAY better than my spiders. It had a body, a head, and like 16 legs, but you could tell it was a spider. My spiders don't have heads, just a smiley face on the body, but they do have 8 legs, so at least I'm still better than her on that! As if counting legs is an important drawing skill.

Natalie said...

So so funny. I love that Seara bosses you around. So hysterical.

Cara said...

oooooh! She's got skills! That really is good for her age! And, hate to break it to you, but it sounds like she's the boss. Good luck with that.

ps- the tornado missed us but the house across the street from Barry's parents (10 minutes away) got beat up pretty bad. Crazy midwest storms!

janae said...

Rebecca - apparently to us accounting/budgeting types, counting is an essential part to drawing. :) I definitely relate. It's a good thing we have our artsy hubbies to contribute those creative genes!

Cara - ooooh, I've been waiting for an update from you! I'm glad you're still alive. I got to worrying that my last words to you would be, "Don't die, I love you" ! :)

katieo said...

Oh I LOVE when my kids "send" me to timeout. It's an excuse to go into my room by myself.

"mom! I need ____!"

"Sorry dude. I'm in timeout."

heehee.

janae said...

Katie - I love you! You are so hilarious! Even your comments get me!!

Babydoll said...

How funny that she said she would send you to time-out. And I love her pictures. I'm with you on the 'I really can't draw pictures.' My second graders used to comment on how bad I was (because their first grade teacher was really good). Great for the self-esteem!

Sam Ricks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sam Ricks said...

Maybe we can get an agent and sell Seara's stuff as artwork from the world's newest creative prodigy!

Jodi said...

Nice drawing, Seara!

Krishele said...

Yeah, Kate's finally to the point that she knows if she tries to boss me around, she's got it coming. Andrew on the other hand tells Jason to "Go a timeout." When he's teasing them at the dinner table.

You know it's really interesting to see how kids just kind of morph into little people sometimes without any prompting from you. Kate just started drawing stick figures and what's really funny is that instead of eye "dots," she draws big ol' circles for eyes which makes everyone look like they are "bugging out" The first time I saw it I burst out into laughter. It totally cracked me up!

Justin & Tressa said...

i'm with you...i don't draw at all. i once attempted to sketch a girl. and i was told it looked like a bear or a hairy man.