Tuesday, March 31, 2009

SuperMom Stuff - March

Snow Play (the only time enough snow stuck to actually play with)
Dry-Erase Markers on the Mirror
Stringing Pasta Necklaces (be sure to tape the end of the string so it's easier!)

Reading Time in a Fort
Pudding Cup Building (do you recognize it? :)

Sorting Pasta by Color & Shape (Seara is doing it, just not in the egg carton like I intended)

Bowling with Soda Bottles

The dyed pasta was an awesome idea. Obviously I didn't come up with this on my own, but I've seen it a few different places so it's an idea that's been floating around.

You need:
1. Pasta of any kind (I got big holed ones for stringing and fun shaped ones for sorting)
2. Rubbing alcohol
3. Food coloring (I was ambitious and did six colors, four are pictured)
4. Ziploc bags


Then you:
1. Put the noodles in the bag (they tend to leak so put them inside something)
2. Completely cover the noodles with rubbing alcohol
3. Add in food coloring
4. Let them sit to absorb the color (the longer the brighter, but no more than 8-10 hours)
5. Drain (don't rinse!), spread on cookie sheets, and let dry

12 comments:

Natalie said...

okay, you are way too good of a mom. you stress me out.

Cara said...

Looks like fun! I love the sorting in the egg cartons. What a good idea. :) You could do it with anything...like a bunch of different cereals or something. Nice job supermom!

Cara said...

Oh, and is the pudding tower the Salt Lake Temple???

janae said...

Cara - Yup, it is. :) Nice guess. Sam could tell right away, but I wasn't sure if it was as obvious in the pictures. Do you like the Piglet Moroni Lija is putting on it? Actually Tigger was the Moroni for a long time, I just never got a picture of it. :)

janae said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SNSsoup said...

Love that you thought to save all of those pudding cups- I would NEVER have thought to do that so my boys could build with them. Also LOVE that you guys made the pasta necklaces. i've been thinking a lot lately about making those with my boys but just keep forgetting to buy the pasta from the store. I just assumed I could find pasta already colored but I guess not; so I'm really anxious to see how you colored your own! I hope it's not too much of a mess. Since you're into doing all these art projects with your kids I thought I'd share two that my kids and other kids I've taught have really enjoyed. Marble painting- take a box, lay some paper down in it- drip a few globs of paint onto the paper surface and then let the kids toss in a few marbles; they can tilt the box in all sorts of directions to get interesting paint tracks all over the paper. WARNING- don't put too much paint on the paper though or else it gets gross. The second project is bubble painting. Do this one outside if you can. Find some bubbles- add a couple of drops of food dye to different cups of bubbles, then let the kids blow the colored bubbles onto paper. You can use plain paper or have them paint animals that might be on coloring pages. Hang the paper out to dry in the sun. Oh yeah- I have one more FUN art project KIDS LOVE! Get a bunch of different flavored gellatins- strawberry, lemon, orange, grape, etc. Then, out of construction paper, cut and assemble something that resembles a particular fruit- ex. a strawberry. Or you could just draw the fruit on a large piece of paper and then have your kid color or paint it the color it should be. Next with either Elmers Glue or the spray on glue (I've found this stuff works best), take some of the powder gelatin and sprinkle it on top of the picture. Shake off any extra stuff and the finished result result should be that of something that resembles a fruit and SMELLS like the fruit. It's a little messy but what kid doesn't love paper things that smell yummy. Hope you understood that. Continue having fun with your super mommy adventures! You're doing a great job Janae.

Krishele said...

Yes, I'm really curious how you got all those different colored pastas. I love it when you post your ideas...it helps me out a ton cause I just don't seem to have the brain power to come up with things myself. I've actually started some singing/dancing time with my kids. I have a hard time doing singing & dancing separate so we just lump it into one. But I guess it's all about taking what's out there and making it work for me & my family. Thanks for encouraging me to be a better mom.

katieo said...

THe activities look fun but I always just want to comment when I see pictures of your kids that they have such CUTE little faces!

Melanie said...

I'm in awe. No really, my jaw just dropped. I think the things you do with your kids are great. I'm taking notes!

austinamasandra said...

Janae,

Thank you for sharing those wonderful ideas with us! You're such a good mom.

Justin & Tressa said...

Melia just discovered bubble wrap and LOVES it. entertains for at least 10 minutes.

Babydoll said...

What fun activities. I am totally writing these down for when my guy is older!