Let's establish a few things:
1) Seara will be four this summer.
2) Elijah is two and three months.
3) My only potty training attempt was nearly a year and a half ago (when Seara was as old as Lija is now).
4) I have done virtually no potty training since then.
The kid's bathroom. Notice the hand prints on the mirror.
Alright, so about a month ago Elijah asked to use the toilet. I put him up there and he went. Weird. But I didn't get my hopes up or attempt anything. I just left him in diapers and did life like normal. He would go every now and again, but I wasn't rushing things. So just over a week ago, Elijah suddenly decided that he wanted to be potty trained. (During the day, not nights.) He would call to me and run to the bathroom every time he needed to go. In eight days he had four accidents. (All in diapers because I still wasn't having expectations.) Blast. I think the kid just potty trained himself. Seara, of course, flipped any time the word 'toilet' or 'potty' was mentioned to her. Yeah, she wasn't even close. But then we had the following turns of events:
1) Two mornings ago when we got the kids we walked in to find the entire closet of clothes unloaded on the floor. And Elijah diaper-less. And pee all over the clothes. UGH. (In his defense, as soon as we walked in he began begging to use the toilet. In my defense, we never made a rule that they couldn't come out of the room. And the door is unlocked. They made that rule themselves. They just wait for us to come. We've never complained. :)
2) Last night I checked on the kids an hour after I put them down. The last time I had checked the boys were asleep and Seara was reading. This time I walked into a wall of stink. And the floor littered with dozens of poop pellets. Seara hates having a dirty diaper. I hate her method of dealing with the dirty diaper.
3) This morning we walked into another closet unload. And poop. On the doors, walls, beds, sheets, hangers, clothes, and carpet. It took an hour and a half to disinfect. And I'm going to have to wash nearly every item of clothing they own.
Enough is enough. I'm washing the carpet, washing sheets, washing clothes. I'm doing all the work. I want the benefit. I want potty trained kids. I have done three kids in diapers for eight months. I quit.
So I turned up the heat in the house and stripped the kids to naked. Then I pulled out all the undies we own. (Which happen to all be girl undies, but we're snow storming here and I'm not about to go out. Sorry Lija.) The kids took one look and got excited. I told them they could wear undies if they use the toilet. Otherwise, birthday suits. Suddenly Seara became very capable.
We're in undies. I refuse to go back. I may live and breath potty-training for the next month, but I'm done. No more diapers for me. (Okay, except Enoch. I think it's a bit ambitious to try to train an 8-month old.)
Wish me luck.
I'm gonna need it.

20 comments:
oh. my. goodness. that is far too much poop for the week, or even the year. that's more stink than i ever want to deal with. kudos to you..and to your creative way of dealing with the sich. i am sending all the good luck and vibrations that i can up your way!!!! :)
Good luck!!!!
And GO ELIJAH! Jakob is 100% clueless about the potty, and he's a few months older. You got lucky with that one.
OH Janae. GOOD LUCK!!
You can do it! It is so frustrating, it sometimes takes awhile and a ton of patience but just think of that light at the end of the tunnel: ONE IN DIAPERS!
Hang in there.
wow.
GOOD LUCK.
and,
many successes for the two potty-trainees.
I am now officially terrified of potty training.
This is gonna be crazy!!!
You can do it! Even if it takes extreme kitchen-bound measures. I know you can do it. :)
I am laughing so hard I'm crying. At the same time I'm gagging at the thought of cleaning up that much poop and the fact that they were playing with it! EEWWWW!
I can't believe Seara is so naturally opposed to potty training and Elijah is raring to go. What is up with all the clothes on the floor?!! That's a TON of laundry! Good luck. I'm really think it's going to go well this time. And as much as I love your potty training posts I hope you don't have to clean up too much more poop!
PS Thank you for not adding too many visuals to this post. My imagination is enough...
Good Luck! Let us know how it goes!
I'm so battle scarred from potty training I can't even muster up a better comment then this.
Janae I about died of laughter when I read this. I even had to read it out loud to Scott cause it was so funny! I can't wait for these exciting times. For now I am sticking with poopy diapers that sometimes go EVERY WHERE!
Good luck! I hated potty training, but it was WELL worth the time and effort!
Wow! Good luck!! That is very ambitious, two at once, but I don't blame you one bit for being done with diapers!
This is IT!!! This will be the week! Good Luck!
Didja know our kids are basically the same ages? 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and nine months. We're destined to be friends.
Have I said this before? Probably, and now I feel stupid.
Also - GOOD LUCK. Although in my experience the second was exponentially easier than the first.
Whew, good luck. I think I'll keep you in my prayers. Two kids at one time! You're ambitious! Addison is starting to refuse to use the toilet again. I can get her to sit on it about 50% of the time. Last week she initiated sitting on it herself and I thought for sure we were almost there, but now she is always fighting it. Geez. Come summer I think I'm just going to put her in a dress with no diaper. I hear that helps them learn really fast. (P.S. I'm waiting for summer because I just don't have the energy to do it right now and I'm guessing until I have this baby that's just going to get worse.)
I read you loud and clear girlfriend. Three in diapers is INSANE.
Joanna has her days when she does really well in underwear and other days when "I wanna be like baby Jayden" and insists on wearing a diaper. Arg.
Best of luck!!
GOOD LUCK! I hope it all goes well this time and is a breeze...is potty training ever a breeze? Rylan will be 3 in a few days. He has NO desire to be potty trained. So I'm not even going to try but two in diapers is not fun. I can't even imagine 3 in diapers! Yes, good luck Janae!
I'm sooooo sorry about the poop everywhere! There is nothing worse than trying to scrub out poop mashed into the carpet! (Sadly, yes, I'm speaking from experience.) It does sound like you have a few things going for you though, which is fabulous. Andrew seems like he couldn't care less about wearing undies. He kept asking us to put a diaper on him. Obviously not too motivated. So I'm hoping things go a bit better for you than has been my own experience. Potty training sucks! I think that's one of the worst of the parental jobs (another in that category would have to be cleaning up vomit).
I don't even know what to say. I woul be completely freaking out in a situation like this. I totally back you up in the undies or naked thing!
Post a Comment