
I should have realized that the elements had conspired against me when I walked into sacrament meeting and someone was sitting on my bench. Did they not see my name written on it?? Did they not notice that we sit in that same spot every single week?!
Instead we sat on the back, side bench. The one with the legroom and the easy escape.
Just minutes into the sacrament Elijah began his it's-nap-time-and-I'm-tired fit. I was trying to quiet him when Enoch spit up a good amount of green goop on the carpet in the middle of the walking path. The deacon manning the door laughed at us as we tried to deal with the situation (eventually putting a tipi shaped piece of paper to cover it until we could get out for paper towels). Just as we solved that and got Elijah somewhat distracted, the lights started blinking on and off in the room. I looked around, trying to figure whose kid was playing with the light switches, but I couldn't find them ... until I looked to my left and realized the culprit was my own three year-old. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
One down, 898 to go until all three kids are out of the house.
ps. For those who did not realize, our names are not really written on the benches. It just feels like they are. :)
Monday, March 30, 2009
Sacrament Meeting
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

15 comments:
so it was one of those kinds of Sundays. Sorry. They get better. Well, sort of. The green goopy spit-up part gets better...that usually doesn't happen when you don't have a newborn...usually.
by the way...I didn't realize you could spell "teepee" that way ("tipi"), but I looked it up and I guess you can. Thanks for enlightening me. :)
I hate when people steal your bench. It always make sacrament meeting that much more difficult :) We had to talk yesterday & our kids were mad that they had to sit with someone else & they both ended up on the stand with us & then I ended up outside with Addison because she was throwing a fit in front of the whole ward!
LOL! Mama said there'd be days like this.
Ah ha ha ha. I'm sorry. It is funny, though. I think that God has a great sense of humor about those things.
if it makes you feel any better, yesterday was a disaster of a Sunday for us too.
The crowning moment for us was when we lost sight of Jaclyn for a few minutes inbetween classes. Where was she discovered???
IN THE FRONT OF THE CHAPEL as the next ward was getting ready for their sacrament meeting to start. She was running back and forth yelling "Weeeeee!!!"
that's when you scoop them up and say "Where on earth is your mother?" ;-)
If it makes you feel any better, the only part I noticed was the flickering lights and I thought at first that it was just some weird power issue. :)
I hate sitting in the back! For the past 3 weeks we have had to sit in the gym because of baby blessings. It is so HARD to keep control of an almost two year old in the room he KNOWS is for running around. I feel for you!
Too bad! I guess you can blame it on the people that sat in your usual bench! :) You make me very excited to have more kids! Because Sacrament meeting just isn't exciting enough with one.
I sooo understand the bench thing. While I was on my mission I loved the Southern churches that allowed their church members to purchase pews. The family's name would be engraved on a little plaque that was attached to the pew. I would be the first in line to do this in our chapel. I realize that it will never happen but I would pay big bucks to have my same pew every week.
One time I showed up to church (having just had a baby so I was super hormonal) and a new family was sitting on our bench. I burst into tears and walked out of the chapel. I was distraught all day.
I have gotten better about my emotional outbursts when someone sits on my bench but I still find it terribly hard to not sit in my normal spot. It doesn't happen often though because I am psychotic about getting to church a half hour before it begins. I drive my family nuts.
So after that long winded comment let me just say I totally understand your Sunday pain. Hurry and move out here by us and I'll get to church early each week and save you the row of your choice - the one away from light switches and no escape route for the kiddos.
That's a lot of Sundays! Hopefully they're not all like that. WE haven't gotten to the light switch stage yet but we've been doing the nap-time cry for 3 hours and have to be taken out of every meeting. I feel like it's the walk of shame and I try to sit near the back but it never works out. I feel like everyone is always watching me now either becuase my kid is cute or because she is making loud noises! Ugh!
There is a season for everything. Unfortunately, the season that involves small children and sacrament meeting is miserable about 98% of the time. There's hope though...this too shall pass. ;)
You weird front sitters! :o) Front or back: It is the worst when you stake your claim and someone takes over.
896 is a LOT of Sundays. Hopefully it gets easier (I'm sort of doubting that, though).
As it often happens on the mission there was a sunday in which I was playing "babysitter" for an inactive member's wild 16 month old daughter. . . she two other young kids plus a newborn she was trying to juggle, so little Camilla was all mine.
She refused to stay contained and was always finding a way to sneak past her distracted mother -- my job was to keep her from climbing onto the stand. Well despite my best efforts she managed to find her way onto the stand so I followed her up there to retreive her. When she noticed me coming she began squealing / screaming and running away. I quickened my pace and got a hold of her amidst the choir benches, she wasn't happy. As I was about to step off of the stand (note she was still screeching and the entire congregation was watching this spectacle) she clams up, turns to me, raises her hand and slaps me across the face with all her might.
You could have heard a pin drop in the chapel. Luckily she took a hint and also decided to calm down.
After the meeting ended I swear everyone came up to me to inform me of the little red hand print on my face and how much they enjoyed "the show".
So don't worry I feel your pain :)
Post a Comment