Saturday, September 20, 2008

Eastern Excursion 8: Inner Harbor

I'm not even going to get in to how my fourth baby (aka my video camera) broke and how I cried like a loved one had died and how I made Sam put off all trips until I figured out what to sell so that I could buy a new camera. (I renege on my offer to sell Elijah. But I still haven't figured out how to resolve this tragedy.) Luckily for Sam, my sweet cousin Brian came in town for a conference last week, and since Brian had a camera, we actually left the house. Since we only had Brian for one night, we decided to do something that would be short and that would allow Brian to see Baltimore.

INNER HARBOR


The Inner Harbor is a historic seaport and an iconic landmark of the City of Baltimore. It was once a leading port of entry for immigrants, second only to Ellis Island. The area used to be really run down, but the city has sunk (sinked? sunked?) millions of dollars into restoring it and now it is one of the best places to really see Baltimore. (You've seen Inner Harbor before - from the picture we took during our visit to Federal Hill Park.) There is a brick walking trail around the whole thing, and it leads past various museums, restaurants, boats, and water taxis. We started our trip with a picnic dinner on Federal Hill, and then walked around the Inner Harbor until twilight. I love Baltimore!

Federal Hill Park is the big green lump in the background of this picture.

A not-very-tall lighthouse.

This one is for you, Lissa.

Brushing the back of your hair forward is the newest fad. See how cool it looks on me?

This is a fun night-time panorama I stole (legally) off Wikipedia. Click on it to see it big.

10 comments:

Lorie said...

You are to funny! I love your hair brushed forward! And the short lighthouse is cool!

heidizinha said...

i love that lighthouse!

LuAnne said...

Baltimore is a very pretty place! Looks like you had fun! I'm like you - I freak out a little bit if we go somewhere & I don't have my camera. I'm a little mad right now because I lost my charger, so I had to order another one!

Margaret Pratt said...

What a pretty place! So fun to just walk around and enjoy! You look amazing! I can't believe you just had a baby!

Cara said...

Looks like fun. I didn't know Brian was there. That's cool. The picture of Elijah is so weird. I remember so vividly Ethan wearing that shirt and those shoes not very long ago (like last summer)and their hair color is the same and just looks the same thickness and stuff. He looks like Ethan with a different face. It's so weird to look at.

denise @ little ant design said...

I am mourning the loss of your video camera - I can only imagine how devastated you must feel. On the bright side though - the hair do is magnificent. It is so stylish that I may need to jump on the bandwagon.

Elizabeth said...

Love the family picture of you guys. You are all charming...hair forward and all!

Sarah Johnson said...

Hey Jan and fam! I still get a kick out of travelling with you on your weekly adventures. I'm so glad you are getting to see so much stuff while you are out here.

Babydoll said...

Even for a short excursion it still looks like more fun than we have been having! Good luck with the video camera dilemma.

janae said...

Thanks for the hair compliments, guys. I can't wait to see all your pictures on your blogs with the newest 'do!