Friday, August 8, 2008

Eastern Excursion 3: Federal Hill

Since our travel day fell on our anniversary, we decided to do something easy this week. (Believe it or not, the big trips really wipe me out!) So, we just learned a little bit about the history of Baltimore and went to a favorite look-out point for a picnic lunch. It was actually really beautiful and we hope to go back many, many more times!

BALTIMORE & FEDERAL HILL PARK

This picture looks fuzzy small, but if you click on it, it will look great. The black line is actually a lamppost.

Baltimore was founded in 1729 and serves as a major U.S. seaport. With the fall of the manufacturing industries, Baltimore shifted to a service sector-oriented economy and now touts Johns Hopkins University and Hospital as its largest employer. The Inner Harbor was once the second leading port of entry for immigrants to the states and currently houses various museums and tourist attractions. Just south of the Inner Harbor stands Federal Hill. Named in 1789 in celebration of the ratification of the U.S. Constitution, Federal Hill served as a lookout during both the Civil War and the War of 1812. Federal Hill is now a public park and continues to be a popular lookout point over the Inner Harbor and Baltimore City.

Seara and Elijah below a statue of Samuel Smith, a general during the War of 1812 who helped defend Fort McHenry. He later served as a U.S. Senator.

Enoch and I with the city behind us

Seara and Elijah eating our picnic lunch

Sitting on a park bench, enjoying the beautiful view of the harbor

12 comments:

Ruth said...

Wow, Janae- You look amazing. What a beautiful family. Looks like fun. I didn't get a chance to comment on the last post - hooray for you and four years of marriage!!! What a great husband and father Sam is.

Asialene said...

The day Davis proposed to me was spent at the Inner Harbor! The park looks beautiful and I love the picture of the view. Again, I'm so impressed with your excursion idea!

Anonymous said...

You guys looks like you are enjoying your new home! We still miss you though!

heidizinha said...

mae wears her sunglasses upside down like lije!

Trenton said...

I love your hair! So cute.

Sharalea said...

you look awesome, i am still amazed at how willing you are to be OUT & ABOUT with a newborn + 2 toddlers...you are superwoman!
love that you are taking advantage of all the east coast has to offer!

Lissa Nelson said...

I can't believe how much older the kids are looking already! They are growing up way too fast.

Cara said...

I loved this pics. You have cute kids. Really cute. :)

steph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
steph said...

your kids are all so beautiful! seara looks like a baby gap model!

Girljerry said...

If I lived in Baltimore, I'd lurk outside Charm City Cakes just to meet Mary Alice :)

Elizabeth said...

I seriously, seriously, SERIOUSLY -- LOVE your hair!!