Thursday, August 21, 2008

Heard at our House

Seara: Bacon shirt!
Me: You mean bathing suit?
Seara: Yeah! Bacon shirt!


Seara: I like Nephi and Lehi!
Me: I like Nephi and Lehi, too!
Seara: I like Laman and Lemuel.
Me: I ... I ... I don't know what to respond to that.

(Nephi and Lehi are Book of Mormon prophets, Laman and Lemuel are BOM bad guys.)


I climb in bed once Sam is asleep. He opens his eyes, looks at me, says "Don't even think about touching me," and rolls over. I guess he was getting back at me for the time on our honeymoon that I told him (also in my sleep), "Sam, I love your flat chest!" (Which, by the way, is not flat at all. Not that you needed to know that. But I feel like I have to protect his manhood. Or something like that.)

Sam: [to me, while I'm doing dishes] I rinsed out cadmium red paint in that sink while there were dishes still in it, so unless we want nerve damage for the rest of our lives you may want to wash those dishes really well.
Me: [laughing] Okay!
Sam: I'm serious.
Me: [more serious] Okay.
Sam: No, I'm really serious.
Me: [now very serious] Okay.
Sam: No, I mean, once you are done washing the dishes with that sponge, you may want to stick the sponge in the dishwasher and not use it to wash anything else.

So I looked up cadmium. Apparently it is extremely toxic even in low concentrations and can cause tracheo-bronchitis, pneumonitis, pulmonary edema, and loss of the sense of smell. It can also cause your bones to become soft, lose bone mineral density, and become weaker. The kidneys can lose their function to remove acids from the blood and can shrink up to 30%. Hmmmm.... anyone want to come eat dinner at my house?

8 comments:

Cara said...

Um, how bout throw the sponge away. And the dishes too? Pretty big risk. So I'm guessing that Sam isn't planning on rinsing out cadmium red paint in the sink with dishes in it again. I enjoyed the conversations. Cute!

Margaret Pratt said...

Bye Bye dishes and sponge! Geesh, who knew what you could find in paint!

Babydoll said...

Wow! I'm glad Sam new it was toxic. That is pretty scary to think about.

Megan said...

That cadmium sounds like scary stuff. I love the bacon suit! Kids are so funny.

janae said...

So now Sam reads these comments and remarks to me, "Janae, its not that big of a deal." I'm just thinking, "Excuse me? You were the one who insisted I was the dishes well and then absolutely decontaminate the sponge!" If you notice my bones shrinking, please let me know!! (Although truthfully I wouldn't mind losing a couple inches. I think 5'6" is the perfect height.)

Jodi said...

Ummm perhaps Sam should remove the dishes from the sink before his next painting project. He could just do what James does: forget about the brushes and let the paint harden until it won't come off!

Krishele said...

all I can say is...brilliant, Sam, brilliant.

Erin said...

Thanks for the link back to this post. I remember this did give me a good laugh. I don't know why I didn't comment. Sometimes you have so many good posts I can't keep up. I especially liked the Sam and Janae bed conversations. I hope no one is any shorter after the toxic paint episode. Why do they even put that in paint? Man! By the way I always though 5'5" was the perfect height (4" taller than I am!) And I couldn't believe you didn't have any comments on your earlier posts. I thought it must have been a mistake because you're so popular now!