Monday, September 15, 2008

FOR SALE: 1 Year-Old

Remember this and this? Well, last week, thanks to this:

Half of this:
Ended up like this:

(This picture is just one spot, imagine an entire room of carpet looking like this. I only wish I were exaggerating.) I wiped. And dabbed. And spotted. And then gave up. I am now $100 poorer and the proud owner of this:
It worked like a dream! Phew! If I were rich, I would give this away at baby showers. Anyway, so I thought, "Wow, that was traumatic. I'm glad things like this don't happen every day." Ha. Ha. Ha. Two days later Samuel woke up at 5:30am to fold the laundry I had sitting on our kitchen counter for ... well, enough days that Sam woke up at 5:30 to fold it. At 6:30 I got up and took over. At 8:00 I finally finished everything except putting the kids clothes in their room. I waited until they were up and ready, got them distracted with crayons and paper at the counter, and walked the 15 feet into their room to put the clothes away. I walked out to find fifteen places in my living room that looked like this:

So, if you want him, I'll give you Elijah free of charge. You only have to pay shipping. For real.

Anyway, I was thinking about all this, and mulling in self-pity about how under appreciated mothers really are, when I realized that I was wrong. I get complimented numerous times daily for the things I do. For example:

Me: [writing a to-do list]
Seara: Good drawing mommy!

Me: [eating my breakfast]
Elijah: Good eating, momma!

Seara: What does a lion say?
Me: Rawrrrrrr
Seara: Mm-hmm, you're right! So smart, mommy!

Okay, so it's not as thankless as I thought.


ps. While I was buying the Bissell, I saw this in Target:


It was September 9th, for heaven's sake. They were barely taking down the Back to School stuff and putting up the Halloween stuff, and Christmas is ready to go???

11 comments:

Kristine said...

I'll take him it you will take Josh for a few days :)

denise @ little ant design said...

I understand your pain. As I type this I am looking at the black sharpie artwork that is all over my window sills, computer armoire and piano that Luke drew a few years back. Gotta love those little monsters that we call children.

Jodi said...

I am so sorry! Was that crayon? I hope my kids never do that. I think I just don't let Asa explore much. We never have crayons. The worst thing he does is pull all the wipes out of the container. Again, I'm sorry.

Cara said...

So at first I thought, I'm so glad my kids are out of that stage. And then I remembered that I have an 11-month old. We are about to go into that stage again. Blah. I may end up needing to borrow your bissell. It would be cheaper to mail it back and forth between us than for me to actually buy it, right?

ps- You forgot "Good job Mommy! You went potty in the toilet!"

SNSsoup said...

That is hillarious! I'm only laughing because the EXACT same thing happened to us just last week!!!... not with our 1 yr. old, but with our 2 yr old Noah. I'd gone up stairs to put Ian down for a nap- I was gone for only 10 minutes tops, and when I came back down the stairs, I noticed the smell of JOY lemon dish soap in the air. Well, I turned the corner and found Noah with a scrub brush in his hands, working JOY dish soap into our new leather couches and ottoman! There were soap suds EVERYWHERE! To make it worse, I looked at our t.v., spencers pride and joy, (50 inch plasma to be exact- lots of penny pinching to buy it) and I saw Noah had scrubed the entire plasma screen with dish soap too! It was on the walls, on the tile, all over the carpet, and in the baby swing! He told me he was just cleaning- like I do. Ummm, yeah- I was pretty upset, considered taking him to my sisters house and leaving him there, but instead I figured I needed to clean up the mess. An hour and a half later, my couches were clean- sparkly in fact and oddly smelled like lemons- the remote control to the tv was destroyed but luckily the tv wasn't damaged. My carpets were a pain to clean, and funny as it may sound Janae, but I actually broke down too and ran to Walmart to buy Bissels, Smart Bot carpet cleaner, so I'm a $100 bucks poorer too. It worked really well, that is with the exception that kept getting flooded with bubbles that the dish soap was making. Anyhow- it's frustrating isn't it?!!! you were smart to have taken a picture, I don't think about pictures in moments of disaster like that, but I wish I would have taken the picture for memory's sake. Picture this though- he used half of the gallon sized Joy dish soap I bought from Costco- I used 2 packs of baby wipes cleaning the mess of my couches.

Megan said...

What a mess. I can't tell you how much I love the Bissel little green machine--it helped me get black SHARPIE marker out of the carpet. Also a favorite--Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. They do wonders on getting walls clean. Ahh, children. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Elijah is awesome! I can't believe that mess! What a story and now you have proof! Just wait till he brings home a girl he really likes!

katieo said...

Is the Bissell available for rent??

(and the early Christmas displays TOTALLY irk me, too)

Rebecca said...

lol, those orange artworks look remarkably like the ones addison did on our window seal.

Babydoll said...

Gee, I can't wait until my little guy is romping around getting into all that fun stuff. :)

wheaties said...

Oh man how you can you not laugh at this story as long as you know your floors and walls are safe?! So LOL HAA HAA HAA!!!!!

With that being said I know that I will prolly be cursing myself in about 2 years when my little girl gets to that age and she discovers her "artistic" side. Thanks for the tip on the cleaner machine we might have to put that on the radar for later in life. All in all you can't blame him too much, he is just taking after his daddy! (wanting to scribble on stuff . . . ;) )