Thursday, December 29, 2011

Navidad, Natal, and Noel


After several days of road tripping/National Parks visits, we ended up in grand ole Winslow, Arizona for Christmas. (My poor, poor husband. I was talking to the receptionist at my midwife clinic and told her our Christmas plans and she commented, "Oh, you guys must love road trips!" "Well," I replied, "I love road trips. He just likes to keep me happy." See, Sam? I know the truth. And I appreciate your cooperation.) ANYWAY, Christmas.



The kids got slippers Christmas Eve. Sam made one authentic shepherd. We hung out with Grandpa Hancock. After envying our awesome Oakleys, the kids got their own Disney sunglasses in their stockings. And here's the rest of the loot:


On a complete side note, what exactly is the new old-fashioned way? Have any of you ever really had chestnuts roasting on an open fire? Has anyone ever tried, or liked, figgy pudding? Do you ever celebrate Christmas by telling scary ghost stories? And really, have you ever gone a wassailing?

15 comments:

steph said...

I've never had roasted chestnuts or figgy pudding, but I think the scary ghost stories comes from Dicken's
A Christmas Carol.

Looks like a fun Christmas! :)

Paige said...

We have wassail punch every year :) But none of the other stuff

Man, seeing these pictures makes me miss Winslow Christmas! Next year...

The Pingels said...

I've never gone wassailing, but I love wassail!

janae said...

Steph - Dickens would make sense. Sam grew up with his Grandpa reciting The Cremation of Sam McGee and other creepy Halloween-esque stories on Christmas Eve, and I've wondered if maybe that used to be a common tradition. Or his family is quirky. :)

Jenna said...

Um yeah, you husband definitely fit the part in the Nativity. Haha.

I remember the first Christmas I was dating Dillon, his mom invited me to their Christmas morning breakfast. And his grandma made everyone eat a Christmas fig. And it was gross. The end.

Cara said...

Good observations...I've never thought of those!

Jolie said...

I had chestnuts roasting on an open fire in Portugal! I'm sure you saw them too--those cute old ladies with the arthritic hands, wrinkly (and hairy!) faces, and 6 layers of wool on would stand at street corners with carts. They'd roast chestnuts and sell them to you in brown paper bags.
I think my Christmas in Guimaraes I must've eaten me 10 bags of those. Yum!

janae said...

Jolie - Actually, I did have roasted chestnuts in Portugal, and they were AMAZING. I only wish you could get them here! I never even knew people still (actually?) ate them til the mish, and I still don't know anyone in the US who does.

James said...

It's cool to see Sam's grandpa.

janae said...

James - It's cool that you actually know who these guys are. Sam's grandpa is a widower for a second time now (his wife passed away a few months ago) and I think dementia has set in pretty firmly. I only wish I could have seen him back when you guys were young!

James said...

I don't think I had heard that. It's sad to hear. Harry is a good guy, I got to see that through his kids more than anything I think; especially Sam's Mom & Uncles Joe & Charlie. Good times in the 'slow

Qait said...

Hahaha, the new old-fashioned way is what's happening to clothing fashion lately! WHY are the 80s coming back? They're tweaked a bit, but they're still 80s.
And I have had chestnuts roasted on an open fire. In Paris. They're amazing!
Figgy pudding though? What???
(And I keep the word of wisdom, so no wassailing for me!)

I know you were being silly and rhetorical, but I kind of couldn't help it. ;)

GrS said...

In Valencia, Spain they had chestnuts roasting on an open fire on the streets---vendors selling them, We tried one each, and they are too dry for me, thank you.

Krishele said...

It's funny how different we are and yet we still get along like peas and carrots. Andrew gets General Count Dooku and Anakin Skywalker action figures and your boys get Nephi and Captain Moroni action figures...

janae said...

Krishele - Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!