Monday, November 7, 2011
Worst Days of my Childhood
Barring personal tragedy, I would venture to say that most of us had pretty idyllic childhoods. Most of our really tough trials probably didn't come until we were older. That said, I can still recall with vivid clarity the worst days of my childhood. Like the day I was put on public display to graduate from Primary, or when my mom told my dad I had finally become a 'woman' (kill me now), or when I *spoiler alert* found out Santa was not real. (Although that last one cleared up a lot of confusion about Santa's connection with Jesus--I could never figure out whether he was an apostle or prophet, and I could only assume he was given the same living forever thing like John, but did that mean that John gave out gifts too? Yes, I was entirely too old when I found out the truth about Santa.)
Well, I would like to add yet another worst day to that list: the day that I realized that David and Goliath was the same guy as David and Bathsheba. Why do they never tell you that lion/bear/giant-killing hero boy also had at least 8 wives, 10 concubines, was a cheater, and a murderer?!
Yeah, that was a bad day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 comments:
I love how most of your bad days involve church related items. I'm reading about that in the OT right now. It is pretty depressing.
I remember that day too...really, really sad. It's hard not to discount his awesomeness as a youth because of his failings as an adult. I guess I try to think of him as being his best self when he was young. Fame and power can ruin you if you aren't careful. (I'm trying to be careful...)
Caroline - I don't think I ever noticed that most of my bad days involved church things. That's hilarious!
Cara - Oh, I TOTALLY discount everything he did in his youth. I'm not nearly as forgiving as you. And yeah, you better watch out. All that fame and power you have really could get to you. :)
This reminded me of the two most embarrassing episodes in my youth.
(1) during my teenage years we went to Church one Sunday (Dad was the Bishop so wasn't sitting with us) and someone new was in our "pew." (We always sat in the same place.) My Mother said to them, "Excuse me, but you're sitting in our place." I would like to have sunk thru the floor.
(2) during my young married years, for some reason I was with my father-in-law going to some program or other (PMS wasn't there) and we went into the Ogden Tabernacle, went down toward the front, and started to go into a row about four or five from the front. A girl sitting there said, "I'm sorry, but this whole row is saved." T.O. said "Thank you for saving it for us." And went in and sat down. I meekly followed. Again, I could have sunk thru the floor.
These two were the WORST.
I choose to live in denial. They couldn't possibly the same Davids. They just couldn't.
Jennifer - I feel completely validated by your comment. I'm glad that it's disturbing to other people, too. In an "I'm not alone" sort of way, not "I want others to feel disturbed" sort of way. :)
Wait, what?! They're the same guy?!!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Wait, Santa's not real? Anyone?
...
No wonder the kids are so confused...
Hey, we all have lapses in judgement, at times, right? ;)
Post a Comment