In my neighborhood growing up I was easily the youngest person my age. Everyone else had birthdays in November, December, and January. Mine didn't come around for another six months, not until July. It wasn't really a big deal. Well, it wasn't until we were 11. See, when you turn 12 you graduate from our church's organization for children, the Primary, to the youth organizations, Young Men and Young Women.
By the time January rolled around everyone else my age had turned 12 and left the Primary. There I was, the lone 6th grader left with all the young 'uns. I felt huge. Nothing rubbed it in more than the Easter Primary Program. While all my friends stayed in the audience to watch the "children" sing, I dragged my feet up to the stage and stood there like an column, a head taller than anyone else, wishing I could disappear.
Nothing describes the emotions I felt on my 12th birthday better than the word relief. Finally I could be with my friends! But then Sunday rolled around. In traditional style, the bishop called me to the front of the congregation. I turned beet red. My stomach decided it wanted to be an esophagus and my heart figured it better be a stomach. I thought standing with the whole primary was embarrassing. But standing there all alone? That was downright torture! I worked my way to the front and tried not to die as he announced that I had turned 12 years old, graduated from the Primary, and they wanted to welcome me into Young Women. Well, at least I'm pretty sure that's what he said. Because this is what I heard:
"This is Janae. Everyone please stare at her. She's been a little kid in Primary for a long time, but now she's all grown up! You might have noticed her floundering walk as she came up to the stage. That's because her arms and legs have grown, but her torso hasn't caught up yet. I bet she won't be gangly much longer! (I was. Am.) Please notice how big and buck her teeth are. I think braces are probably on the way! Also notice her enormous glasses. Parents, she'll probably want contacts soon! Yes, Janae just turned 12 and is in the most awkward stage of her life. So we just thought we'd invite her up on stage so everyone can gawk at her. Congratulations on finally becoming a woman, Janae."To this day I consider that the most humiliating moment of my life.


18 comments:
Heehee! Every time a new primary graduate is asked to go up, I think of you and how much you hate that "tradition". :)
Lol! You crack me up! It totally reminds me of my little sister. She, too, had ginormous glasses and was a late birthday, and tall, so she towered over everyone in Primary. She hated it!
p.s. Yes, I am related to Jessica Toolson. Her dad, Tom, is my Dad's cousin. Her Uncle, Tom's younger brother, is Andy Toolson, the ex-BYU basketball player. (I'm sure your dad has heard of him). Its such a small world!
Lindsey - It is a small world! When I saw Toolson, I just knew you were related. :)
that had to be traumatizing for you to remember it (mine must not have been that bad cause I don't remember) hopefully you can prepare Seara before that time comes :) oh and the Easter Eggs LOVED it! Thank you for that!
Wow, the way you wrote about it sounds traumatizing! It reminds me of when we had the Young Womanhood Recognition night when I got my medallion. They had us tell about it in the chapel. So I had to go up way in front of everyone and talk from the microphone on the stand about it. Everyone watched me go up and go down and I acted like a goofball because I was so embarrassed about it. Then, they showed a slide show of pictures of us, and I think all of the worst pictures of me were put up. Then they put my picture in the paper- the one of me just after I had a tennis match and had messy hair and was all sweaty. They probably had good intentions, but...I too still remember the trauma.
Oh, Jessica! That's awful! I often wished people would let me choose which pictures they used. I don't know how people do it, but they always pick the ugliest pictures of me!
I remember HATING being 11 years old in primary. Now whenever I go to a ward with primary programs etc. I look for the big kids and wonder if they hate being up there as much as I did haha
I never knew....
Oh Janae, you are one of the most hilarious bloggers out there, I swear. I remember being taller than everyone in primary too. I always feel bad for those 11 1/2 year olds up there on the stand when we sing.
At least you didn't trip!....unless you did
How funny. I was just the opposite. I loved that I stood out more when I was the oldest in Primary. Of course, I've never shied away from a public appearance either. :) On a totally different note, I saw you and someone talking about the Toolsons, which is crazy because I grew up with them. JJ (Jessica) was the baby, so I don't know her that well, but I was good friends with Michelle. And Tom was our dentist. Anyway, our families have always been close, and I am actually planning on going to Jessica's reception when I'm up in Utah for my brother-in-law's graduation from BYU in a few weeks. Anyway, small world!
How sad! I always feel bad for those 11-year-old primary kiddos, but I'm sure they feel just as awkward when they're the first one of their "group" in YM/YW!!
Ohhh man, I know exactly how you felt!!!
That "quote" from the bishop was classic. So funny!
He only got away with it because you are so cute.
You're lucky THAT is the most humiliating! Just wait!
Oh my. That's terrible. I'm so sorry that happened to you! And I'm glad I never had to endure such embarrassment!
Post a Comment