Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Graduation

University of Baltimore Student Center


Old class buildings on the left, New class building on the right


WOOHOO!!! Sam is finally done with grad school!!!!!!!!!! I don't think I could put enough exclamation marks in this post. I am so excited and so relieved. And not only is he absolutely amazing for doing two years in one, but he also graduated with a 4.0 cum gpa. I know, the kid is a genius. It's amazing that he and I can even communicate. :) His program director, Stephanie, and his mentor professor, Amy, were just as impressed as I was.



Sam's parents came in town from Arizona, so they came with me to graduation. We weren't crazy enough to bring the kids, but I did get a picture with them afterward. :)


So graduation was held in the Lyric Opera House and it was AWESOME. Let me tell you why. First, you need to understand that the demographics of Baltimore are such that about half the people graduating were black. Now, at BYU graduation is a ceremony and cat-calls from the audience come across as very rude, disruptive, and disrespectful. In Baltimore, however, graduation is a celebration and cat-calls from the audience come across as rejoicing, encouraging, and elated. Many graduates danced across the stage, and husbands, boyfriends, and fathers yelled out at the top of their lungs, "YEAH! DAT'S MAH BEBE! DAT'S MAAAAAAH BEBE!!" I think I spent half of graduation laughing. Every graduation should be like that. Give up the pomp, bring on the party!


21 comments:

denise @ little ant design said...

Congrats Sam on your graduation!

Janae - your hair looks adorable!

Melanie said...

Congrats to Sam. I'm very jealous. I can't wait for the day when Dan graduates...only one more year. :)

Jacob and Rebecca Sharp said...

That's awesome!!! I agree. My family and I were always the ones who wanted to yell and make a bit of an irreverant scene when cheering for someone graduating. But, it's exciting! What an accomplishment! Congrats.

randi said...

wow, that is amazing! congrats to both of you. what's next???

Natalie said...

sam is AMAZING. that's all.

Michelle said...

Congrats Sam! I am so sorry you left us but I am glad you got to experience the flavors of Balmore. (this is how we say it around here!)

Cara said...

okay. I so wish the graduations we've gone through were like that. It was all formal for us. And I WAS crazy enough to bring the kids. I think we always made quite a scene. And, for the record, I totally wanted to scream "DAT'S MAH BEBE! DAT'S MAAAAAAH BEBE!!" I'm just too big of a wuss.

Paige said...

CONGRATULATIONS Samuel!!!!!! I am so proud of you! Way to go! And a4.0 GPA too! I am not surprised smartie-pants. :) Well done! congrats.

Ruth said...

We are so happy for you guys!

wheaties said...

Congrats comp!! You've come a long ways since our crowded room at Raintree! :)

What's next?

Krishele said...

Amen about the serious graduation blah! Sounds like this one was actually enjoyed and not just endured. Good job smarty pants Sam and way to go Janae for putting up with all the stuff that a student's wife has to put up with.

Have you ever figured out the meaning behind the monkey-suits they make you wear as a grad? Like what's up with the weird stuff down the back...the PH D's sitting all together often times look like a bunch of circus clowns with all the colors and stuff (I really mean no disrespect for doctorate grads by saying that). Weird. But I guess it still feels great to wear it because of what it signifies, aye?

Good job guys.

katieo said...

Way to go !!!!!

(to both of you! I remember the day Aaron graduated from law school as one of the BEST DAYS OF MY LIFE)

BrookieT said...

Wow- you didn't waste any time after graduation! What a great achievement- I am sure you are so proud. (I almost didn't recognieze him without his glasses! :) )

Babydoll said...

Wow, congrats. You are married to a smart man. Good luck keeping up! :)

Asialene said...

Congratulations Sam! What an accomplishment to finish in a year with a 4.0! It must feel so good. Janae, congrats to all that you've accomplished as well! :) Weekly excursions, having a baby, being a SuperMom, and everything else!

Rebecca said...

Congratulations!!! You did awesome! Graduating in 1 year AND with a 4.0?! Wow! And congrats to you, Janae, I am sure you helped a lot in taking over a bunch so Sam could get it all done. You are an amazing person too. I never could have done either.

Erin said...

I honestly don't know how you two have done everything you've done in the last year... with 3 kids! I don't think you're human, or you never sleep or something! Congratulations on surviving and thriving!

My bro-in-law (the only one in our family to attend BYU) was scandalized when the graduates threw tortillas as a matter of tradition throughout the U of A graduation. There was a beach ball bouncing around during my NAU graduation. I've never been to a graduation "ceremony" it's always been a celebration but not too many people yelling, "Dat's mah bebe!"

Stephanie said...

Congratulations!!! Man, what a year you all have had.
Hooray, you did it and were awesome!

Sam Ricks said...

Thanks for documenting this one for the ages.

Jodi said...

How long has Matt had a mustache? I don't remember that.

janae said...

Jodi - Ha, ha! Not long. He grew it out for a play he was doing for some scouting event in Flagstaff. He shaved it off as soon as he got home from from the event!