Saturday, May 9, 2009

Eastern Excursion 37: the Rest of DC

We've done just about everything there is to do in DC. The only things we were missing were touring the White House and going inside the Washington Monument, neither of which we wanted to do with kids. So we got a babysitter and off we went ...

WASHINGTON, D.C.

White House

Steps to touring the White House:
  1. Tickets are required. You get them from your state senator.
  2. Find at least 9 other people to go with you. You can only request tickets if you have a group of 10 or more. (If you are really, really lucky you'll request 10, hoping you can convince 8 other people to come, and they'll call and say that they can only get you two. Wohoo!)
  3. Request your tickets months in advance if you really want to get some. And even then you aren't guaranteed.
  4. Two weeks before you go, submit you full name, birth date, and social security number for security clearance.
  5. The day of your tour, bring basically nothing. The list of forbidden things is so long that in the end they also list the three permitted items: wallet, keys, cell phone. Cameras of any sort are not allowed. If you have one, they won't store it and they won't let you in. (We know, we tried.)
  6. As you go inside show your photo id. They will compare it with their list of people who passed security clearance. Proceed through metal detectors, x-rays, etc.
  7. Walk around on the self-guided tour. There are no tour guides. If you really want to know stuff ask the Secret Service guys. They know everything.
  8. Do not try to take pictures with your cell phone camera, even if you're outside. The SS guys have eyes on the back of their heads.
Aerial shot so you can see the West (left) and East (right) wings.

White House, first floor
White House, second floor
Alright, so this is what we learned. Tours go from 7:30 am to noon, the rest of the day the President uses the home like normal. The white house is 55,000 square feet, if you include the two wings. The tour starts in the right wing, where you pass below the First Lady's office. You then walk through the ground floor and main floor of the house, where you see libraries, galleries, reception rooms, and dining rooms. The tour does not go to the west wing, where the cabinet, VP, and Oval offices are.

The top floor is the private residence of the family. "Private," of course, is a relative term. Visitors don't get to go up there, but the SS guys follow everyone, including Sasha and Malia, everywhere they go. Along with the playground the Obamas added, the White House also has a pool, tennis court, jogging track, putting green, indoor basketball court, movie theater, and bowling alley.

White House front. The President's bedroom is on the top floor, to the left of the portico. The windows are covered by trees.

White House back. Sasha and Malia's rooms are on the top floor. The center window is a hallway connecting their rooms, the windows to the right and the left of that center one (and under the portico) are each of their rooms. The window on the left has a large butterfly sticker on it, the one on the right has a large bird sticker.



Washington Monument


Okay, did you know that the Washington Monument is HOLLOW?! I didn't realize that for a really long time. People used to get to the top by taking 497 stairs. Now there is an elevator to 500 ft (it is 555 ft tall). On the way back down they actually slow the elevator down and you can see the inside. It is decorated. For real. It has monuments and stones from all 50 states and numerous countries. Who knew?! In case you didn't realize, the main sites in Washington DC form a cross, and the Washington Monument is the center of that cross ...

View to the South - Jefferson Memorial
View to the East - Lincoln Memorial
View to the North - White HouseView to the West - The Capital

Man, I'm gonna miss living close to DC!!

16 comments:

Cara said...

How cool. Um...so man did Ben Gates and Abigail Chase get lucky when they snuck into the oval office. It sounds pretty hard to do. :)

Anonymous said...

What great pictures! It looks like you guys had a great time! I am shocked that you were not invited to the Private Quarters! How dare the Obama's! :)

Melanie said...

That's really cool. And no I didn't know all that about the Washingtion Monutment. Thanks for sharing.

Natalie said...

1. If cameras weren't allowed, how did you get all of those pictures?

2. How did I not know about the main sites in DC forming a cross? Ummm....yeah.

3. You guys better not move before I see you. That's all.

Mindy said...

Cool info about the White House and the monument. I had no idea it was so difficult to get a tour. What fun for you guys! I'm glad you made it before you moved. Oh and the self-portraits in front turned out great. Nice job!

janae said...

Natalie - Our tour was on a Saturday at 7:30, but we had to be there early, so we got there at 6:45. We ended up getting free on-street parking a block away from the White House. (Only you will appreciate the miracle of that! :) Anyway, so we brought our camera and took a bunch of pictures while we were waiting, and then when they wouldn't let us in with it, Sam ran back to the car and dropped it off. Phew! Funny that you didn't realize that about the cross! It is nearly perfect, but the Jefferson Memorial is actually a little bit off. The spot where it was supposed to be was too swampy and they couldn't get it there, so they moved it over a bit. Interesting, huh?!

janae said...

AM. It was at 7:30 am, and we got there at 6:45 am. I guess I should have clarified that. :)

Becca Sharp said...

Wow, Janae! Thanks for all that cool info I never knew about the White House! I'd love to tour it someday. But, if I never get to, at least I got a little taste from you!

steph said...

I am so glad you posted this! I will definitely use all your advice when I get out there! Your eastern excursions make me so excited!

Jennifer J said...

I had no idea the Washington Monument was hollow. I have learned so much from your excursions - I'm going to miss having you live close to DC, too.

But I miss having you live close to me even more. Spanish Fields needs you!

Asialene said...

Thanks for all the tips! I will definitely need them. I have never been on one of those tours and hopefully will get to do it soon!

Rebecca said...

So cool! Someday I would like to tour the white house. :)

Sam Ricks said...

I love the detail about the girls' windows. Too bad they wouldn't let us get a shot of that.

Babydoll said...

How cool! I want to tour the White House now. I guess it takes some real planning!

Erin said...

So are you stalking the Obama's or did you flirt with the secret service to get all that personal information about their rooms and such? :-) It was much easier to get a tour when I went in 1997. We just took a tour of the East wing no problem. SOmeone in our group knew an intern at the time so we got a private 3 hour tour of the West Wing as well (the president wasn't home). I asked if I could sit in his chair in the oval office (I was 12 okay). The tour guide laughed at me. When she wasn't looking I stuck my foot in. So I've been "in" the oval office. I assumed the Washington monument was hollow but I didn't know it was decorated. This was such a cool trip! Thanks for sharing!

Krishele said...

I was wondering the same thing about the rooms. Just how did you get all of that information??? (I'm doing the one eye brow raise) I think it would be so strange for random people to take interest in where my bedroom is. Of course, I've never lived in the White House (surprise!) so I guess it really would be strange if someone did...it wouldn't be good citizens like yourselves, probably some weirdo freak or something. babbling, I know. Ok I'll go. bye.