Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Eastern Excursion 38: Longwood Gardens

LONGWOOD GARDENS



I have now seen the garden of Eden. LIVE. It's currently thriving in Pennsylvania.







Eden has been added to since Adam and Eve's day. It now includes a build-your-own fort area, two children's gardens complete with soak-yourself fountains and waterfalls, and three huge tree houses.











BEST. EXCURSION. EVER.

16 comments:

Sam Ricks said...

Oh man, I LOVED this place. Send me back. Forget Disneyland (okay, maybe that's a little bit of an exaggeration), this place rocks!

Sam Ricks said...

I don't think it's legal to desecrate Disneyland's name like that. Forgive me. Still, the gardens were cheaper, and there were less people, and it was real.

janae said...

Know what, Sam? I understand. I actually remember thinking to myself numerous times while we were there, "Wow, this is nearly as fun as Disneyland." I don't know that I said it aloud, but I thought it. Didn't want to desecrate Disneyland by saying it, though. ;)

Jessica said...

Wow, that looks gorgeous! I am impressed that you found so many cool places to go while you have been living there!

Leah said...

That looks so so fun! I want to go to the garden of Eden.

Michelle said...

I love Longwood gardens. I used to live 10 minutes away. You have to see it during Christmas time--- it is amazing. The light display rivals temple square. Hey if Sam can compare it to Disneyland I can compare it to the temple lights (not the actual temple).

Cara said...

Almost as good as Disneyland??? Wow. This is getting serious. It looks amazing and beautiful and those tree houses rock.

Doesn't it just inspire Sam to do some tree artwork??? (Not that I've been searching for tree artwork for days to put in Barry's office or anything.) ;)

steph said...

BEAUTIFUL! I am so going there!

Megan said...

That looks so fun! And beautiful! I want to go there!

Erin said...

I can see why you didn't want to give up your last few trips. These last ones have been amazing! I can't believe how kid friendly too with the fountains, tree houses, and build a fort! Very cool! It reminds me of pictures of the fancy gardens in Europe. Nice to know we have one in the US. As fun as Disneyland is a pretty big recommendation from you guys! That last picture reminds me of the ending scene in You've Got Mail. Makes me want to go do some yard work and plant flowers! Hope you're holding up during this crunch time!

Janell said...

Okay, I wanna go!
I don't know if it's a blog world faux pas to read other people's comments, but I do...and I think it's hilarious that you and Sam communicate through comments :)
How's everything else going?

Lyndi said...

Fun! I don't think I ever went there. (Of course, I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much as a teenager)

Sarah Johnson said...

Well this one's going on my list!!! how fun :)

Janae! Don't know if you checked your lixo email yet, but i'm still SOOOOO down for Saturday... my number is 510 908 2881. Is earlier as opposed to later good for y'all? yeah!

Sarah said...

LOL Sam is funny. That place looks totally awesome! Definitely going on my places to go list. I love it when they make nature & the outdoors a super cool place for kids to have fun. Your pictures reminded me of another garden of eden - Kew Gardens outside London. It was absolutely beautiful! But they didn't have cool tree forts - so I think your garden is the real garden of eden. (Maybe they need to move Mickey Mouse to Pennsylvania.)

Roberta said...

Wow, you guys have not taken living there for granted, for sure! You're going to have lots of great memories. Good for you guys!

Krishele said...

That really does look like a type of paradise. I just love greenness...in plants not necessarily the obsessive environmental movement currently in progress. I loved driving through Illinois and neighboring places because trees and green things grow freely. Unlike here where pretty much if you don't water it yourself...it will most assuredly die. Why do I live in Idaho again?