ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY
What better place to bid farewell to our home in the East and to our Eastern Excursions than by visiting Arlington National Cemetery? We met up with my sweet mission companion
Anyway, Arlington is actually the former estate of Robert E. Lee, Confederate General during the Civil War. The view from the Arlington House is absolutely spectacular - you haven't seen Washington DC until you've seen it from Arlington. (The house is above, the view below.)
Speaking of Robert E. Lee, did you realize that his wife (Mary Anna Custis Lee) was the great-granddaughter of Martha Washington and step-great-granddaughter of George Washington? Oh, the irony. And while I'm being random, let me just throw this picture in. I have no clue what the statue is for, but I thought it was pretty cool looking.
Veterans and military casualties from every one of the nation's wars are interred here. Until you see it with your own eyes, you can't even fathom how many graves there are in Arlington. They go on forever and ever. It was pretty sobering. The Tomb of the Unknowns was pretty incredible too, especially watching the changing of the guard.
As usual, the highlight of the trip had nothing to do with the trip. We found a little turtle crossing the sidewalk. It was so cool. The kids loved it.
Alright, I'm signing off from my Excursion posts. Goodbye Baltimore, goodbye DC, goodbye Eastern Excursions!

14 comments:
Thanks for sharing the east coast. Good luck with your new life!
Ok... but we haven't heard - where are you going now???? Where did Sam get a job? AAACCCK! Erik and I can't handle the suspense! And yes, thanks for sharing all your awesome excursions with us!
P.S. In case you didn't get my phone message - Erik has a job interview in D.C. he's flying out to on June 3rd!
Sarah - when something exciting happens, trust me - you'll know. Until then we're all in suspense. :)
I'm sad to see the excursions come to an end. I've learned so much from them. I guess you'll have to do the same in Utah until you've see it all.
That was the perfect post to read on Memorial Day! (I actually read it yesterday but am only commenting now)
So where are you guys? Are you hiding out in a bunker somewhere in central Nebraska or something?
A bunker with internet, no doubt.
;-)
Happy Trails!!
so sad!
Jolie - You're hilarious. We are, in fact, in Nebraska right now. But not in a bunker, at my sister's house. I changed my mind about posting each day of our trip. It would be boring to everyone - myself included! So I'm just gonna sum up our adventures in one or two posts later on.
You found a turtle crossing the sidewalk? Random. So did you guys let it go free or do you have a new pet? I didn't know wandering turtles were normal in DC....?
I'm sad I only got to see Arlington from outside the gates (it was closed by the time we got there), but it was still amazing nonetheless. However, I hope I can actually go in and take in the whole experience sometime, as well.
I agree. Arlington is amazing! There's such a lot of cool stuff to see in and around D.C. Thanks for sharing your excursions. I definitely want to hit some of the places you guys have been!!!
What a cool place. I think we've all enjoyed your eastern excursions. So are you going to keep it up where ever you end up, or enjoy the freedom of not going anywhere for weekends on end? :)
Cara - I think that kinda depends on where we go and what surrounds us. We are definitely NOT going to keep up the every week thing. That was a bit stressful. Worth it because we only had a year back east, but hard. We've talked about doing stuff once a month .... but only time will tell!
We're gonna miss you guys! There is so much to see out here, isn't there? I found this post to be very informative! And what a cute little turtle!
I love that the turtle was the highlight! Classic. I am sad that your excursions are at an end, because most of these things I will only get to see on your blog and not in real life.
That turtle is so cute! And I started to tear up at the end thinking about the Eastern Excursions being over. It's honestly been the highlight of my blog reading life. What will I do now?
Post a Comment