Tuesday, March 10, 2009

SuperMom Quest - step 3

There are a few things you need to know to understand this post:

1) It hit me one day that a good day care will do structured activities on a regular basis. And if kids in day care do that kind of stuff, my kids, who have a stay-at-home, wannabe SuperMom, really ought to be doing them too!

2) Initially my kids weren't accustomed to anything structured and they refused to sit down or participate. (They're awesome now. At least most of the time. :)

3) I started with one activity and added another every few weeks. I knew if I started them all at once, I'd face plant.

4) I am a check-list motivated person. I need to write things down to actually do them. I keep a whiteboard list of these on my fridge and check each one off as we do them.

5) Each activity takes about 30 minutes. Which adds up to three hours. Of a twelve hour day. I've been cautious to not over structure and to give them plenty of free play.

6) I don't do the activities at any specific time or in any specific order. I just wing it.

7) I am doing the best I can with the talents I've got. This plan will not work for most people, I know that. But you can feel free to copy what works for you. :)

8) I fail miserably more often than I care to admit!


Step Three
In SuperMom Step Two I made rules about my time so that I would actually spend quality time with my kids. So much of my day is filled with the day-to-day grind (fixing meals, doing dishes, doing laundry, cleaning up, feeding the baby, etc.) that it seemed my kids were being neglected. So, after I got used to my Step Two rules, I started filling my empty time with these activities. I try to do each one, each day.
Reading Time - I switch it up between our books, library books, and some children's poetry anthologies I have. After I read to the kids, I try to do silent reading time for another 30 minutes. (Where I read my own adult books and they quietly look through theirs.) Seara and Enoch do great during this, Elijah is a bit more restless. As in he kicks people during it. But he's acclimating.

Singing Time
- Sometimes we sit in a circle and sing songs with hand movements. Other times we'll sing along with a cd or sing while we do something (like sweep and mop the floor). I have also built up a set of song toys - musical instruments, finger puppets, flashlights (to shine on the ceiling while we sing all the star and moon songs), etc., that we use a couple times a week. (This activity was really hard at first. I actually started doing it with a list of songs on my lap because I couldn't come up with songs on the fly. We'd sing the alphabet and twinkle, and then I'd be dumb struck.)

Dancing Time
- We either sing the songs or else listen to them on my computer while we dance around. Songs include Ring Around the Rosies, London Bridge, The Ants go Marching, Shake My Sillies Out, Head Shoulders Knees and Toes, I'm All Made of Hinges, I'm a Little Tea Pot, and any other songs that have a good beat for wiggling around.

Outside Time
- Seara, Elijah, and I go out while Enoch takes his second nap. (Sam studies from home, so he listens for Enoch.) We have winter clothes for snow and umbrellas for the rain. We go to the playground if the equipment is dry. And if it is super cold outside and I feel lazy ... we walk up and down the hallways and stairwells inside our apartment complex. :)

Drawing Time - We have some coloring book stuff, but mostly we draw on blank paper. I try to vary between markers, pens, pencils, and crayons. When I really want to shake things up we do sidewalk chalk, draw on butcher paper on the floor, or do dry erase markers on the mirrors.

Project Time
- We do some sort of special project, activity, or craft. On tough days we do simple things like play with playdoh, blow bubbles, or put stickers on paper. On adventurous days we'll play with shaving cream, cook a treat, or make some kind of craft. I've taken pictures of a bunch of these (you'll recognize some from my movies), so I'll post what I have now and try to do a monthly post of anything extra fun or creative that we do.
I know, it sounds crazy. Who honestly needs to make a checklist so that they will read to their children? Um, me. Yeah, I'm raising my hand. I already told you that I don't just come by these things naturally. If I don't plan it, it won't happen. I won't tell you how many times I read to Seara in the first three years of her life. But the fact that I can count it should be hint. My hope is that after doing this for a few months (or years) that I will just naturally think to do this kind of stuff. Then I'll nix all these silly rules and checklists.


DECEMBER
Shaving Cream

Sink & Suds

Eensy Weensy Spider (with straws and spider rings)
JANUARY
Helium Balloons (with strings cut so they had to reach to get them)
No, Seara is not doing what you think she's doing. She's just pulling the balloon down.


Race Track


Self-Portraits


FEBRUARY
Reading Together
Don't Eat Pete


Box Trains


Swimming in the Bathtub (They put on their suits, brought me mine, and asked
to go swimming. It was 30* outside, so we opted for the bathtub rather than the pool.)


Playdoh People (This one is Seara. And she absolutely insisted that she had those eyebrows.)

Bubble Wrap



Just FYI, I started this post a month ago. The original post - which I edited quite a bit yesterday and today - contained this gem: "I'd rather not talk about how much blood Elijah drew from his siblings today. Or how many times he kicked me in the face. Or how much time he spent in his room. Or how Seara dumped jello powder all over. Or how Enoch wants to be held every blessed moment of the day. Really. Let's not go there." So, if you (like me) sometimes tend to compare yourself with others, realize that life in this house is FAR from perfect!

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait - you're supposed to read to your kids every day? Who knew?!

Lissa Nelson said...

Ok, seriously? You ARE amazing. I'm so impressed! I'm all about the checklists. I love lists. And if it helps you (I know it totally helps me), who cares? See, what the family doesn't realize is that I haven't had any kids yet because I'm waiting around to learn everything I can from you and Cara so I don't actually have to learn anything by my own experience. ;)

katieo said...

Janae, these are such cool ideas.
I love the race track one. We've done a similar thing (but with a mini golf course instead).

I'm not nearly as structured but I think it's a great idea to have a list of all these things ready to pull from. And then when they're grown up you can show them this post, "See? we did this kind of stuff 24/7! I was an AWESOME mother." ;)

Sam Ricks said...

In spite of the fact that I work at home, I had no idea how organized you were about this stuff!

Sam Ricks said...

It's kinda cool that I'm always learning new things about you from your blog :)

Babydoll said...

How can we not compare ourselves to that? You really are supermom. Some of those activities took some serious planning and set-up time (self-portraits, race-cars, box trains). Wow! I am impressed! You go girl!

Natalie said...

Janae, you are amazing. I hope that I can be as cool of a mom as you.

LuAnne said...

What great ideas! I've been thinking lately that I need to do more with my kids. I think they get tired of playing all day long. Thanks for sharing this! I think I'm going to steal your ideas :)

Stephanie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I thought I was doing a good job at quality time with my kids...and I still feel I am, but you have INSPIRED me to take it up another notch(in both quality time with the kiddos and documenting those great moments). You are amazing!!! Thank you for sharing your adventures in motherhood with us:)

Aubrey said...

Wow, wow, wow. Good ideas.

Margaret Pratt said...

I knew you were one busy lady but geesh! I love the small dose of reality at the end, bless you!

Amanda said...

That is awesome! I just had this realization that I needed to do more with my kids, but I just didn't know where to start!?? These seem like good tips. I, too, am a checklist kind of gal (thanks to the mission) and that is the only way I can get things done to the degree that I want. Anyway...WAY TO GO!!

Cara said...

You already know what I think...love all the ideas, especially the trains. Good job figuring out your strengths and using them to help make you a better mom. We all need to do that. :)

Ruth said...

such GREAT ideas. Thanks Janae.

Rebecca said...

I SWEAR, as soon as I stop working after this baby is born I will be a check list person too. The only reason I'm not now is because I readily acknowledge that I am not super mom and use the excuse of pretty much 5 hours a day at work. Once those 5 hours are freed up, I will organize and attack instead of just come up with things by the seat of my pants! Te he he.

Also, Addison LOVES to paint. We throw a smock on her...aka one of Bart's old shirts, cover the table in news papers, and let her have at it. I swear she'd do it for hours if we'd let her. The first time we did it, she used regular acrylics...stupid. I was trying to get her to make valentines, which turned out cool, but I was so stressed about all the paint that was accumulating on her hands soon being paint accumulating on the furniture that I didn't enjoy it much.

Water based finger paints are better...although, I think I'm going to get her a water color set soon because she's always asking to use a brush.

So, if you haven't thought of it (which I'm sure you have considering your artistic husband) painting might be fun to...more messy than drawing, but a lot of fun. ;o)

janae said...

Rebecca - I think you are amazing for being able to work and still be such a great mom! Sam and I were actually talking the other day about how if a mom needs to work, your schedule is the way to do it!

I have often though of doing paint, but it has always seems daunting (think your acrylics). I had never thought to do water colors, though! (You think I would have, but no.) Thanks for the suggestion. We'll definitely try it! :)

That Girl said...

I love this - from beginning to end.

I started doing structured play time after coming to the same realization. I'm pretty good about reading, but the rest of it is a work-in-progress. I will say that after two years, it's finally becoming habit.

Also, we have the same bib. And that's why you rock.

Megan said...

Very fun ideas. We've done several of those too, but I'll have to try the trains and balloons. Harrison would love that. Oh, and if you want to paint without the mess, try water on construction paper. We love that at our house! And in the summer we paint with water on the sidewalk or house. So fun, easy, and no mess!

Krishele said...

Hey, I'm raising my hand, too. I've actually recently come to the conclusion that Kate gets mean and disobedient when she's bored. (Which is a lot) So, I also have been trying to "do" more with my kids. I think your ideas will help me out a ton in my efforts. So thanks. And seriously, even though you have to "make a checklist" for activities to do with your kids, at least you're doing them. Your resolve is impressive and quite inspiring. Thanks for including pictures too. It makes something that sounds just too much in text more conceivable. And encourages me to allow my kids to make messes. I'm really bad at that one....really bad.

Kori said...

I am Alyn and Erin's sister, and yes I read your blog quite often. You make me laugh and I get great ideas on how to be a good mom. Thanks for this post, I'm always looking for new activities to do with my 22 month old son.

SNSsoup said...

WOW Janae! Just a couple of months ago I found myself thinking the same thing you did about introducing "structured time" with my kids... lets just say you do a MUCH better job completing each thing each and every day- I'm not into the whole "list thing" but maybe I should be...; but WOW it makes such a difference in both my childrens and my own daily life. By the way, "structure time" should have come to me much easier than it has, I taught preschool for three years and loved introducing kids to new activities and concepts- just for some reason I never thought until recently to do it with my own kids). Perhaps it's because I like you, have 3 kids, 3 and under... we're stuck in baby mode... mothers don't understand it unless they're in the same situation. For instance, don't you hate the mothers that brag about how they've ALREADY potty trained their only child by the age of two???! yeah well I do, especially when they ask me why Noah's only learning at age 3... ummm, hello- mothers of three under 3 are a bit busy concentrating on keeping the baby quiet and fed, the one year out of the trash and the 3 year is trying to escape out the front door jacketless during a snow storm when he/she should be sitting on the potty. OH, I'm so happy when I read your posts and realize there's someone else out there who understands what life with 3 young ones is like. I love the different activities you've done with your kids, especially the shaving cream on the counter thing and making the race track out of tape on the carpet (I think I'll do that with the boys tomorrow). Also, I like how you mentioned in your last super mom post how you've had to limit your time on the computer; I too have had to limit my time on the computer only to the times during which all the kids are sleeping... I wish google reader wasn't so dang addictive! You're doing a great job really and your kids will love this extra time your spending with them. GOOD LUCK! oh yeah- if you can find a teacher supply store around you, something like a Lakeshore Learning store, visit it; you'll get all sorts of great ideas to implement with your kids. I just bought one of those wall things that has the days of the weeks, along with the months, the seasons and the weather and now every day Noah looks forward to learning about the difference in days and deciding what the weather is like outside and changing it on the wall calendar (I figured he needed it because he was always confusing his yesterdays with tomorrows and never knew what day of the week it was or when to expect to go to Sunbeams at church). Also, since you do LOTS of art projects and paints can be a little messy and sometimes we just don't have the time to clean them up, I thought I'd suggest the "Do-A-DOT-ART Sponge tip applicators"- it's paint in seperate little tubes with round sponge tips so that toddlers can paint with real paint but not make a huge mess of things. My boys LOVE using them and I LOVE them cuz they're no mess involved!

Melanie said...

I absolutely love the swimming in the bathtub. I'm learning so much from you. Keep up the good work and keep posting about it so I can learn to be Supermom too.

janae said...

Steph - I love you! And I so feel like we should have our own private commiseration ceremony of moms with three kids three and under. We'll invite Jolie. :) Life is insane, to say the least! I love your blog just because I know we have the same struggles. Thanks for the Lakeshore Learning/calendar suggestion! I hadn't even thought of introducing things like that, but my kids are definitely ready and I'm sure they'd love it! And I've never heard of the "Do-A-DOT-ART Sponge tip applicators" but I'll have to look them up - paint without such a mess is right up my alley. :)

Melanie - I was waiting for someone to comment on the bathtub thing. I thought it was so hilarious of me, but apparently no one else did. I'm glad at least you appreciate my humor!! ;)

ALYN said...

I dream of having a bathtub that big! Also, I can't figure out what the black hole near "playdough Seara" is?

My cousin Brooke, who happened to live in Winslow once, has 2 little kids, and posts ideas that she does with them.

http://homeschooltots.blogspot.com/

Perhaps your kids are similar ages...

janae said...

Alyn - ha, ha! My sister asked the same question about the playdoh. It's on a plastic Little Tykes table. The hole is in the middle of the table, and I think it's for an umbrella attachment. :)

Sarah said...

Janae, you are such an inspiration! Way to go for wanting to make improvements, setting the goals, and following through! If you can do it with three kids, then I should definitely be able to do it with one! (And, wow, you're really ambitious with the shaving cream.)
I love your structured time schedule. I've been thinking about doing that once school is out. I might just use yours for a running start! :-)
And by the way, thank you so much for commenting on all my new posts! I had just been lamenting that hardly anyone reads my blog anymore!

Kristine said...

Hey I love your ideas! I'm going to use some! Thanks for sharing :D

Roberta said...

Hey you're great! I'm attempting to become an "active" stay-at-home mom too and have fun with my children. I'm just bad at being my own boss! Where do you get your ideas, like songs to sing, crafts to do, etc. I have some books, but I need more ideas!!! You're doing a great job!

janae said...

Roberta - Lots of my ideas come from friends, blogs, and my own imagination. The rest of them are from 'The Toddler's Busy Book' by Trish Kuffner. I also like http://familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts/ - it has some really cute crafts. I'll email you a list of songs I made for myself, as well. I love the Little People cds. They have a lot of the regular childhood songs done in a cute (but not annoying) way. In case you've heard the Little People theme, the cds sound nothing like that. If you haven't heard the theme, don't look it up. You'll never get that song out of your head. :)

janae said...

Roberta - Just kidding. I don't have your email address! Could you send it to me? omeulixo@gmail.com

I was thinking - I also LOVE the Raffi cds. And sometimes we'll just open up the Children's Song Book (the church one) and just sing songs from that. I don't know a good 3/4 of them, but we'll just flip through until we find ones I know!

Nicole said...

How wonderful! My sister in law just sent me a link to these great ideas! I have tried the shaving cream and the kids loved it! How do you display the crafts after they are all done? Also, I am very far from a super mom but a couple things I've found and want to apply someday...In the book Toddlerwise they have a great "ideal" schedule for a day with two kids, and some of their ideas for individual and together time and playing alone time seem to be great if I could get them to work:). Also, a book called Free stuff 4 babies has some great free or inexpensive fun ideas for crafts and projects in the last section. Thanks again for posting!

janae said...

Oooooh, thanks for the suggestions! I'll have to look those two books up. Hopefully my library here has them. I'm always up for ideas and suggestions! As for displaying artwork, other than the usual fridge idea, one idea I love is to pin string up on a wall and use clothespins to hang up the art work. I'll have to take a picture some time. Until then, here is a link to a picture of the basic idea:

http://www.coochicoos.com/images/martha_nursery.jpg