Thursday, March 12, 2009

Please don't answer his prayer!

We're on the job hunt right now.

To be vague, we are looking at jobs in the East, in the West, one in the middle and one across an ocean.

I really want to get a job. I mean really. So I employed some methods of trickery to ensure that happens. This was my logic: Children are innocent. Children have perfect faith. Therefore, when children pray, their prayers are answered. So I taught my kids to pray that daddy would get a job. It worked perfectly. Until today.

I didn't write down everything Elijah said, but this is the gist of it. With the key part quoted word for word.

Dear Heavenly Father,
thank thee for today.
Thank thee that Sisi goes pee-pee in the toilet. (Yes, thank you for that one.)
Thank thee for Buzz Light-gear.
Please bless daddy to give up.
Please bless mommy to get a job.
Please bless Nephi.
Please bless Jesus. (Um, okay.)
In the name of Jesus Christ, amen."

Oh, please don't answer that prayer!!

21 comments:

Erin said...

Thanks for the good laugh. What no job Janae? Potty training 2 kids and taking care of a baby keeping you busy or something?:-) I hope he gets a job too. Darn this economy. It sounds like you guys are really starting to look though. I'm curious about the across an ocean...

Cara said...

Now THAT is funny! I use that tactic too. It's a great one. :)

Babydoll said...

That is a classic prayer! I'm loving it. I think Heavenly Father probably thought that one was pretty funny too, don't you?

Kristine said...

HaHa! That's adorable!

allie said...

That is so funny! So when exactly does Sam graduate?

janae said...

Bos - (or do you spell is Boss?) Oh I'm sure! Heavenly Father surely laughs at the cute prayers kids say! :)

Allie - He graduates at the end of May. So we have just over two months left. Yikes!

Stacy Lynn Carroll said...

That must be exciting to be almost done with school! I wish Matt was that close! Good luck with the job hunt!

Shandi said...

Good luck with the job search. The prayer is too funny. Sometimes when Bryan prays I have to really try hard not to laugh. some of his consist of this....Thank you that Tayela didn't bite today...and that we could have a cool car! They are just to cute!

Melanie said...

That's really cute. Good luck with the job search. Tell Sam good luck with the last 2 months of school. I'm jealous that he's almost done. Dan still has one more year left.

Lissa Nelson said...

Ok, that is hilarious. I want to show this post to everyone I know.

Mindy said...

This totally made me laugh! I cant believe Sam is almost done, I still feel like you guys just moved.

Sam Ricks said...

I love our kids' prayers! (But I REALLY hope you don't have to get a job any time soon. :)

Sarah said...

HAHAHA! That was a good laugh. Is it spiritually legal to pray for a prayer not to be answered? hahahaha! Oh man, Janae, you're awesome for actually posting that one. :-)(I totally get what you're saying though - as you know we're in the same boat!)
So, hey! We can pray for each other! And I promise that I won't pray that Sam gives up and that you get a job. hahaha!

Lyndi said...

ha,ha,ha - he is too funny! i love how he says for sam to give up (it just cracks me up). but don't worry, i'm sure you guys will get a great job in spite of that prayer! :)

That Girl said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!

We're on the job hunt too. What's they hubby looking for?

Rebecca said...

That is hilarious! Is Sam done already? That went by fast. You guys should come back here.

Karen said...

That's hilarious! Thank you for sharing. I haven't laughed that hard at a blog in a while!

Anonymous said...

I love this story! Your kids are amazing!

Anonymous said...

Hey Janae...sorry I didn't ask for permission, but I used this prayer in my High Council talk on Sunday (although I did edit out the mommy pee-peeing in the toilet part) as an illustration that things don't always go as planned when teaching our children. Thanks for the material...it got a good laugh.

Derek

janae said...

Derek - I don't mind that you didn't ask. I'm glad it came in handy! And I think you were probably wise to leave out that part. :)

Krishele said...

kids say the darndest things, don't they? Where in the world did he get that one? That's pretty funny.