All my life my hair has hovered between my chin and my shoulders. It got long in 4th grade and short in 9th, but it pretty much looked the same all my life. When I went on my mission I decided to grow it out. (Okay, honestly, I wasn't gonna risk going under the shears in a foreign country. Which is strange cuz half of my life has been spent in foreign countries. But whatever. I reserve the right to be freaked out about bizarre things.)
Notice how my hair is really similar in each picture (minus the 80's bangs) - ages 4, 17, and 22.



By the time I got home from my mission and back to BYU my hair reached my elbows. But then my boyfriend-who-I-thought-I-was-gonna-marry broke up with me. So I skipped straight to the salon. And I chopped it SHORT. It's a girl thing. A couple months later I met Sam.
I felt bad that Sam never saw my long hair, so I cut my hair for the last time just after our first anniversary. For the next 3 1/2 years I grew it out, barely trimming the ends every couple months. Finally, last March, it reached my elbows again. I was 5 months pregnant and I was sick of my hair. So one year ago today, I chopped it SHORT. It's a pregnant thing. A couple months later we moved across the country.
So I put two and two together ... whenever I do dramatic things with my hair, dramatic things seem to happen to my life. Does that mean that if we want to get our dream job, I have to do something crazy with my hair??

17 comments:
I loved that post a year ago. Such a shocker.. and I still can't believe how much money you made! I was still in the stalker phase so I didn't leave a comment. It made me like you more though becuase it takes guts to do that.
I once let a boy in my class cut my hair from just below my shoulder blades to my ear lobes for a class presentation on the 20s. For the rest of the year strangers would come up to me and say, "Aren't you that girl who cut her hair in class?" Yes, yes I am. My hair has been pretty much the same since 5th grade (when Alyn chopped it) with 2 times of growing it out (never very long though). I have thin, wavy hair. Ugh! I love your hair!!
I think cutting/dying ones hair is the easiest and fastest way to make a DRAMATIC change in ones appearance...I love it!
I haven't dyed my hair since October but I have a box waiting for me...(darker), and I have a goal to do locks of love so I am growing it out-out-out.
Trevor always said he thought I'd look good with super short hair.
So, a few months after we got married I chopped it. SHORT SHORT. Spikey short.
It was fun, cute, & spunky. There were times I actually FELT more fun just because I had such a "fun" hair cut!
It wasn't long after that when I started hearing "I want my long-hair-Shara back"...I couldn't believe it! HE was the one begging me to cut it short.
:) Crazy.
P.S. I LOVE your hair short!
P.P.S. I can't get over how much that first pic looks like Seara!
All through high school and college I used to cut my hair whenever I broke up with a boy. Now whenever I am pregnant I grow it out, just to cut it off when the baby is born. It is one of my favorite things! My hair grows super fast though, I think that is why I enjoy chopping it off!
Ok, so look at the 4 year old picture again. Do you not TOTALLY see Seara?
Firstly, WOW! I used to think Seara looked so much like Sam, but after seeing your picture of you when you were little, she's your little mini-me minus the blond hair. I love your hair short- but I loved it long too- you're one of the lucky few who can sport both do's. I totally understand what you mean though about cutting hair when life gets crazy- I think practically every chicka does it at least once or twice during her life- especially during pregnancy. My sister and I decided that pregnant women should never cut their hair short- post pregnancy fine- during no. I wish it were cheaper to be like celebs and be able to afford fancy hair extensions any time I felt like sporting long hair- it would also be nice to have a celeb hair stylist at my beck and call too. Oh well... some women chose Hollywood, we've chosen Motherhood- it's a good hair day when we don't have gum stuck in our hair or half our hair in the clutched fist of our 9 month old.
B.T.W. I didn't realize Sam was gonna be done with his schooling so quickly and that you guys would be moving again so soon. Where are you guys wanting to move and what's this dream job you mentioned?
I agree with Shara. I always thought Seara looked like Sam before seeing that picture. I like your hair now but really liked it long too... What's the dream job and where?
Sorry, guys no info on dream job - or any job for that matter - until things pan out. I have a game I've been planning for the last three months all about this. I am so excited! Te, he! :)
you were such a cute kid! you're still really cute, i'm just saying....
"It's a girl thing"...AMEN TO THAT!!!
But please don't shave your head. Maybe die it black. ;o)
Yeah, i've never really understood the whole hair thing. Maybe because I'm a guy. I like explosions. When i'm about to something dramatic (like ask a girl out or brush my teeth) I usually blow something up. Girls cut their hair. I mean come on, which is cooler? :)
For the record, i brush my teeth on a regular basis.
I was going to say go bald as well. Might as well give it a go, huh? :) Funny that you made that connection.
Wow! I can't believe that's you in those earlier pictures. You look so different! But still way cute of course. ;-)
I totally understand about the hair thing. It's like the one thing you have control over when everything else in your life is going crazy and out of your control. So, are you growing it out again?
Sarah - Okay, I answered your question on the wrong post! Go here:
http://samueljanae.blogspot.com/2009/03/birthday-stud.html
Yes, yes it does. Please shave your head. Or you get hair extensions but frankly that is much more expensive and you are poor starving students so you really must shave your head.
PS--was that really a year ago? I give up keeping track of time and ever trying to make or achieve any goals in my life. I need to go back to school. That was the only way I could keep track of new years.
it never hurts to try right? I vote for florescent pink stripes. Those should draw some pretty funny comments/looks from strangers...esp. when you're walking around with 3 kids. :)
Post a Comment