One of my biggest pet peeves is when people complain about there being nothing to do in [location]. I mean, Sam comes from a middle of nowhere podunk town. And by middle of nowhere, I mean smack dab in the nothing-grows-here desert with the nearest malls and movie theaters an hour's drive away. Population: 9,931 (with a longstanding debate about whether or not that includes the inmates in the county prison located within city limits). That was practically the size of my HIGH SCHOOL. Still, we always have fun when we go there. The first time I met Sam's family we dressed in junk clothes and threw mud at each other in the Little Colorado River (which, incidentally, is more like a drizzling stream running through gobs of mud). Later I learned about Indian ruins, Painted Deserts, meteor craters, and Petrified Forests (sounds very Harry Potter-esque, huh?!). You can drive on Route 66, go cliff diving at the creek, or do some star gazing (which is AMAZING when you are that far from civilization. In fact, Pluto was actually discovered at an observatory nearby). And the Grand Canyon is less than two hours away. I mean, even in the boondocks there is stuff to do.

The 'nothing to do' complaint really strikes a chord when people say it about Utah. You think I'd be more understanding since I once subscribed to that belief, but I'm not. ;) To prove my point that there are things to do in Utah (and fun things at that!) I am sharing a list I made of things to do near Provo for my little brother when he started BYU. Many of you won't care a whit about this, but for those who are curious, here is it:
On BYU Campus
- Go to any sports event (Beyond the normal sports, swimming and diving are always fun to go to, as are lacrosse and track & field.)
- Attend the Comedy Shows
- Watch a movie at the Varsity Theater
- Go to the Planetarium show in the Eyring Science Center (Friday nights at 6:30 - it cost $2 a person)
- Visit any of the campus museums (Bean Life Science, Peoples & Cultures, MOA, and the Earth Science Museum)
- Go to the Arts and Music Performances (Personally, Sam and I think the best shows to go are the plays, Homecoming Spectacular, Christmas Around the World, Celebration of Christmas, Young Ambassadors, International Folk Dance Ensemble, Living Legends (our very favorite), and Ballroom in Concert.)
Outdoors
- Go on a hike (BYU has a great list of trails)
- Picnic up Rock Canyon or at Rock Canyon Park
- Ice Blocking in Rock Canyon Park
- Frisbee Golf (there are frisbee golf courses at Bicentennial Park and at Rock Canyon Park)
- Ultimate Frisbee (the best field for it is the one east of the Conference Center, just north of the old DT buildings)
- Rent a tandem (double-seated) bicycle from Outdoors Unlimited and go on a ride around the Provo Temple.
- Rent rollerblades from Outdoors Unlimited and ride around Campus (especially up by the bell tower)
- Hike the Y (here is a map to get there. Make sure to bring flash lights if you go for the sunset - another fun time to go is early in the morning, so that you are on the Y when the sun rises over the valley)
- Hike to the Timpanogos Caves.
- Sand Volleyball at Vivian Park
- Bike ride down Provo Canyon (Park one car at Maceys, drive the other with the people and the bikes just above Vivian and ride the bike trail down to end at Maceys. Then you can drive back up to get the car. Unless you are brave and want to ride back up. If you don't have a bike you can rent one from Outdoors Unlimited.)
- Float the Provo River (Once again, you'll need two cars. One to drive the people and the tires to the top, another to drive back up from the bottom to get the first car. You may lose sunglasses, so beware. Start here - the map is approximate. Look for a dirt parking area on your right with a large brown sign that says Provo River. You can either end at Vivian Park, or else you can hop out at Vivian and walk over the bridge (it is too low to float under), and then get back in and end here. That map won't let me get off the highway, so you'll turn left where it ends. You are looking for a small dam on the Provo River and a parking lot just north of the dam. Make sure you park the first car here!)
- Swim and tire swing in the Provo River (You want to swim where the Provo River dam is - at the bottom of the canyon, not Deer Creek dam. Once again, the map won't let me get off the highway, so you'll turn left where the map ends. You are looking for a small dam on the Provo River and a parking lot just north of the dam. This is the same place you end when you float the Provo. There is a tree about 50 feet east of the dam with a huge rope swing that you can jump off into the river. It is awesome!)
- Drive the Alpine Loop (this is best when the leaves are changing colors - so beautiful!)
- Have a picnic dinner at sunset up Squaw Peak (from where the map ends turn right and you will hit a parking lot with a beautiful view of the valley)
- Hike to the Diamond Fork Hot Springs up Spanish Fork Canyon (Enter Spanish Fork Canyon, turn left toward Diamond Camp Ground (there'll be a sign). You'll drive for a really long time, but eventually you'll get to the Three Forks parking lot. The hike is about 2.5 miles and is relatively easy. Be sure to wear your swimsuit.)
- Sledding in Rock Canyon Park
- Snowman contest (compete to see who can build the best one - bring scarfs, carrots, etc. to decorate them)
- Go snow shoeing on any of the hiking trails (rent from Outdoors Unlimited)
- Ice Skate at Seven Peaks

20 comments:
I just had a recent conversation with someone who said there was "nothing to do" here where we live, it drove me crazy how many things I suggested that they just poo-pooed.
My opinion is: people that say "there is nothing to do here" aren't willing to really find something fun on their own & generally just want to complain about something (or explain away their lack of happiness).
I grew up in a home where "bored" was a bad word--we were taught that there is ALWAYS something to do & there is never a reason to be 'bored'.
I enjoyed reading your Utah Valley list! :)
Thanks for the list! I do have one question...where in AZ is Sam from??
Dude. I've lived there and I have done very few of the things on that list. Lame-o. You should make a list of things to do in Omaha, Nebraska. In case anyone there is interested. I mean, you just never know who could be benefited by it. ;)
ps- Your list made me excited to vacation in Utah. We'll have to do some of those things. They sound so fun!
I resent that, winslow rocks! (and you got to admit, the people from there are pretty awesome. . . minus the inmates)
:)
p.s. the nearest movie theater was only 46 mins away. And who needs a mall when you have Wal-mart. I mean, come on
All I have to say is... AMEN!
Winslow is SPECIAL. I mean, you can't find a town that far from another town anywhere but the desert.
Last night, a long-time resident was telling a newcomer (August) all the things to do aroung Athens. She didn't like any of the sports or arts and denyed liking shopping since she has no money. Not sure what she does like...
Keri - I guess you can tell from the other comments, but Sam is from Winslow. :) It is an hour east of Flagstaff.
Joe - You are so funny! Have you ever seen the movie Baptists at our Barbecue? If not, watch it. I feel about Winslites the same way the main character feels about the people in his podunk town. :)
Alyn - True that. Not that I'm making a rushed judgement or anything ;), but it sounds like the newcomer just wanted to complain and be negative. I mean, if you don't like sports, arts, or anything, ANYWHERE you go is boring!
And for the very adventurous, you can always drive up to Park City and do the Alpine Slide or the Coaster. Hey, was that the Hot Springs site we tried to go to freshman year that ended up being closed?
That isn't even mentioning the National Parks. Whenever I mention to people I meet here in San Diego that I am from Utah, I always get responses like, "That is the most beautiful place I have ever been", or "I've never met nicer people in my life" or "I could see myself living there". I should note that all these peeople aren't LDS and seem to be really classy people.
Caroline - YES! It is those Hot Springs. I went a handful of times after my mission (motivated by our freshman failure) and had a wonderful time. I even took Seara a couple times!
Oh, look. Apparently Sam was signed in on the computer. Well, that last comment was from me!
Payson Lakes - you forgot Payson Lakes!! And XX Skiing at Soldier Hollow (we like to pretend we are true Olympians when we cross the finish line, complete with cheering), and hiking to the Grotto, and Cascade Springs (anyone with small children MUST go there), and pumpkin farms, and corn mazes, and the Krishna Temple, and the SF res, and all of the festivals, and.....
You're right - there is NO EXCUSE for boredom.
What fun ideas. I didn't do even close to half of those when I was at BYU. But I LOVE the Bean Museum. I have been back a few times. Next time I am in Provo I will be checking this list to see if there is something we can do.
I know Winslow! I grew up in the four corners area of NM & we often drove through Winslow. My mom's family is from Lakeside, which is south of Holbrook & I had a great-aunt who died in a car accident on I-40 near Winslow.
i could add several things to your list too, but the most important one:
eat a j dawg.
Winslow, AZ is pretty much the coolest place in the entire world. Well, okay, maybe Joseph City compares. Other than that, there's just nothing like 'em.
I think there's stuff to do pretty much anywhere you live. You just have to be really creative sometimes (which usually makes for better activities anyway)!
People say that?!?!? What people?!?!?!
I personally think that Utah is the Celestial Kingdom of Thing to Do.
Seriously.
Joseph City, Sam? Wow they really do brain wash those kids in the Winslow Public School system. I again enjoyed the Winslow bashing. And I agree that you can have fun anywhere. I remember going to Sam's parent's house and having a great time. I don't have any idea why we were there. I am pretty sure that Sam wasn't even there. And I don't think we did anything, but we had a good time.
Oh, and the Winslow theater was open when I was there one time. Free popcorn.
Agreed. I'm of the persuasion that if you give anywhere even half a chance, you'll come to love it there.
Post a Comment