Saturday, March 28, 2009

Eastern Excursion 33: National Aquarium

the NATIONAL AQUARIUM


According to Wikipedia (which always contains the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth), "The National Aquarium in Baltimore is widely considered to be one of the best in the United States, if not the whole world." I think I agree. As you walk into the main gallery the first thing you see is an enormous centralized pool filled with sharks, rays, tarpon, and a green sea turtle. The pool acts as an atrium as you spiral up four floors viewing various (crazy looking) fish. At the very top is the Rooftop Rainforest, which is a recreation of the Amazon, complete with alligators, birds, and sloths. I took one step in and was immediately transported back twenty years. I managed to whisper, "This is my childhood" and point out which plants I recognized from my homes growing up, before I choked up too much to talk and began to cry. Something is seriously wrong with me. I cry waaaaay too much lately. (And NO, it's not what you're thinking.)

The Rooftop Rainforest. Thanks again, random stranger #79.
Nemo and Marlin were hiding while we visited the coral reef, but Dori came out to say hello.

From the Rooftop Rainforest you loop down another aquarium wing through a 3-story high coral reef, and then a 2-story high separate shark tank. (You can't keep the sharks with all the other fish. Otherwise you wouldn't have other fish for very long!) The kids didn't know to be afraid, although I did have a recurring dream last night that Seara fell into the shark tank and I jumped into save her. Scared the daylights out of me. After the first couple times I dreamed it I started figuring out what was going on and began trying to convince Sam to jump in after her instead. For some reason he didn't want to. Sorry, Seara.

I do not like sharks.

We ended our trip with a dolphin show. The last time Sam and I saw a dolphin show was at Sea World on our Honeymoon. My, how things have changed in the last 4 1/2 years! It was amazing and the kids loved it. Are you surprised?

I only took video footage of the dolphins, so here is a kifed picture of their pool. We had much better seats than this shot.

ps. We are coming to the end of our Eastern Excursions! I think we'll end on number 40, so only seven trips left. Can you believe how fast time has flown since we began this??

pps. If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, my cousin is competing in the iPhone App competition. Go here to download his App. It will give you good karma. :)

13 comments:

Megan said...

That looks like so much fun!

Cara said...

The aquarium looks so cool! Our zoo here has the largest indoor rainforest, which I thought of when mentioned your experience. Aren't those cool! Really takes you back! (though I've never actually choked up in there).

Krishele said...

Hey I got to see the outside of the aquarium...does that count...maybe a little?

It sounds like a kid's dream come true to see that many live (strange) animals in such a small area. Once again I say, my kids would be jealous. (good thing they don't know about it, huh?)

wheaties said...

I think Sam is going to need to grown another arm if ya'll decide to have any more kids. I don't know why it stuck me as so funny but I laughed when I saw the opening picture of Sam holding ALL of the kids and still managing to smile big!

Kelli said...

Oh, I've always wanted to go to Sea World, but perhaps I should make a trip East instead!

janae said...

Cara - What??? It's never made you cry? What is wrong with you?!

janae said...

Oh, and Krishele. That counts for something! Did you see the waterfall? Four stories. It's NUTS.

Jodi said...

I love the shark dreams. It's great how even your dreams are funny!
Sloths?! That would be awesome to see a sloth. I've just added it to my list of things to do.
I love it that you and Sam look so happy in the pictures and the kids look annoyed. It's so hard to get a good picture.

Babydoll said...

I am so jealous (as I usually am when I read your excursion posts). We absolutely LOVE aquariums. There was one up the Oregon coast with a good shark tank, but yours definitely wins. How fun for the whole family! (And if it makes you feel better, I cry on American Idol when it shows the contestants family members in the audience--because I know how proud they must be! Now if that isn't pathetic, what is?)

Jolanthe said...

love the aquarium but haven't been in YEARS!! :)

thanks for stopping by my blog - I've loved browsing around yours. :)

Jolanthe

Asialene said...

I remember this aquarium - and also the exact date we were there. It was August 3, 2000. Later that night, Davis proposed to me!! BTW, I CANNOT believe how fast the time has gone since you've been out there! I better start making some east coast goals of my own, otherwise I will never get to anything with how fast the time flies.

Aubrey said...

Thanks for the shout-out for us, Janae!

Mel said...

Wikipedia...Bah!