Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Eastern Excursion 32: Maryland Science Center

the MARYLAND SCIENCE CENTER


If we were going to stay in Maryland for another year I would definitely get a membership to the Science Center! Everything, and I mean everything, in the museum is hands-on. In the massive Dinosaur Mysteries hall they have full sized skeletons and dinosaur casts - and when you walk under the casts they growl at you! The kids touched a triceratops skull, climbed into a nest of dinosaur eggs, and worked on excavating real dinosaur bones out of a mass of rock. It was really cool.


Most of our time was spent in the Kid's Room. There were 'science' toys and art projects, an undersea submarine world and virtual scuba diving, and best of all, a gigantic water play area.

Note to self: get large magnet for kids to use with paperclips. They love this.

In case you were wondering, of course they have an entire section of the Science Center dedicated to the oh-so-famous MARYLAND BLUE CRAB.


We ended the night by watching an IMAX movie about Africa. The kids were pretty fascinated, but I got really motion sick. Apparently I need to take Dramamine before I watch IMAX movies. Who knew??

12 comments:

Babydoll said...

How fun. There is a place like this I went to a couple times in Portland (yes, this was before I had a child) and I loved it. Glad you got to go.

Cara said...

Cool. The Carnegie Children's Museum in Pittsburgh had a whole floor of water stuff like that. The kids would put raincoats and boots on and build little boats to float and make whirlpools and all sorts of cool stuff. They loved it! Looks like another fun adventure.

That Girl said...

Wow. Like - WOW. I suddenly find myself wanting to move to Maryland.

Guess what they have to do here? NOTHING.

Aubrey said...

Yes, yes, IMAX movies can do the same thing to me too!

janae said...

Bos - I think it is so cool that you went before your babe was born! You are so much fun.

Aubrey - Thanks for the affirmation. I was hoping someone would commiserate with me on that one!

Sam Ricks said...

One of the kids' favorite parts: the really short toilet. Seara: "Look daddy! Little toilet, big toilet!" Lije really liked going fishing with the magnetic fishing poles.

janae said...

Sam - I wish I had seen the toilets. They sound hilarious! And I don't know anything about magnetic fishing poles. Where was I at that point?? :)

Rebecca said...

Ug, Bart & I both get sick in Imax theatres. And in the car, and on boats, and on planes...dramamine is a regular in our lives.

Krishele said...

Sounds like a place that I'd bring my kids if I ever dared to take my kids across the country. Kinda glad I didn't this time. We all would have been miserable with all the touristy things Jase and I did. I'm sure they were much happier at Grandma and Grandpa's house.

janae said...

Krishele - I love that you comment on every post. :) Thanks for that. And I DEFINITELY think your kids had a better time at home than they would have here. Plus, I can only imagine how miserable your vacation might have been trying to tote around the two of them plus all their stuff!

Unknown said...

Your folks should have a srong magnet. We gave all our kids one for Christmas one year, in memory of a huge strong one we had when they were kids. Love, Gr S

Justin & Tressa said...

looks like fun...and we have that same monkey leash and I don't even feel bad using it.