You could also title this post "Adventures in Potty Training and Other Random Tangents."
An aerial of Harper's Ferry taken when the trees actually have leaves.

Although we actually went to Antietam first, for the sake of fluidity I'm going to start with Harper's Ferry. First, we finally made it to West Virginia!! (Lindsey, you are right. It is gorgeous! Melanie, I couldn't help but think of you, too. So I sang Take Me Home Country Road for Sam, thought of your mom crying, and teared up myself. I'm such a sap. :)
Harper's Ferry is most famous for John Brown's raid. John Brown was a white abolitionist who hoped to free the slaves by helping them take up arms against the slave holders. So on October 16, 1859, he took 19 men and attacked the Federal Arsenal in Harper's Ferry in an attempt to seize 100,000 weapons for the army he hoped to assemble. His plan didn't work so well. He failed, was found guilty of treason, and was hanged. But his raid is widely considered one of the huge events that led to the Civil War.
I, too, would like to know what he is doing with his face.
Okay, wanna know something really bizarre about John Brown? Well, the union army made a marching song out of his story. They called it "John Brown's Body." Here are two of the verses:
- Old John Brown’s body lies moldering in the grave,
- While weep the sons of bondage whom he ventured all to save;
- But tho he lost his life while struggling for the slave,
- His soul is marching on.
- He captured Harper’s Ferry, with his nineteen men so few,
- And frightened "Old Virginny" till she trembled thru and thru;
- They hung him for a traitor, they themselves the traitor crew,
- But his soul is marching on.
John Brown's Fort
Apparently John Brown is a controversial figure. So says Wikipedia. Which, as we have already established, is the fount of all truth. Sam and I read that after we got home and laughed, mostly because of this conversation he and I had while looking at the John Brown Fort and the plaque there.
Sam: So they're painting him as a freedom fighter.
Me: He was a freedom fighter.
Sam: He was not a freedom fighter. He was a crazy man.
Me: Are you kidding? He was trying to stop slavery!
Sam: By starting a war. It's the same thing as 9-11.
Me: It is not. He was just trying to encourage the blacks to stand up for themselves. They should have. They should have long before that. In the very beginning they should have told the dumb white people, "No way! We're not gonna be your slaves!"
Sam: He was trying to start a guerrilla war. He's like Che Guevara without the people. He took 19 men and tried to attack an armory. That's stupid.
Me: At least he tried. That's more than anyone else did. Anyway, what's wrong with starting a war? I mean, over an issue like that. They should have had a war about it. A hundred years earlier.
Sam: Whatever. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
I have no clue why, or how, they all thought to lift their arms above their heads at the same time!
See Seara's cute sweatshirt? We try to put that on her for a lot of our trips as a little secret code message for other Mormons. (BYU is a private university owned by the church, so you can pretty much assume anyone with a BYU sweatshirt is LDS.) It works, too. When we went to Jamestown, VA, we ran into a family that lives near my sister in Nebraska. This time an LDS family walked by us and we overheard the guy say to his wife, "That looks like a good Mormon family." We chuckled. Later on a couple stopped us because of the sweatshirt and told us they were medical missionaries in the DC mission. Which brings up my love/hate relationship with Johns Hopkins...
TANGENT: Okay, you know Johns Hopkins is pretty much the best medical university in the entire world, right? And that it happens to be in Baltimore, right? Yeah. So we're talking to this couple and they ask what we are doing out here. We say grad school. And they ask the inevitable, we-get-asked-this-every-single-time, question: "Oh, Johns Hopkins?" UGH!!! I mean, anything we say after that will sound stupid. No. No, we don't go to Johns Hopkins. No, Sam is not in medical school. He's an artist. Which we love. And we adore the grad program he is in. But man that sounds like a downer after the JH question. I will admit, though, that I love Johns Hopkins for the fact that brilliant medical people surround me. Like my dear friend Michelle in the ward. She is a child psychologist at JH and specializes in, among other things, potty-traning. Yeah, does that rock or what?! She's given me some brilliant ideas. So I gotta love JH for that!
ANTIETAM
So John Brown's Raid helped lead to the Civil War. Which, of course, leads to the Battle of Antietam. It was fought on September 17, 1862, near Sharpsburg, Maryland, and Antietam Creek, and is famous for two reasons.
First, it was the bloodiest single-day battle in US history - 23,000 people died in just one day. To put that into perspective, 2974 people died on September 11th. Nearly eight times that died at Antietam. That's an entire generation of people wiped out.
Then
Second, up to this point, the northern states were trying to fight to preserve the union without touching slavery. Antietam was the first time the Confederates attacked the Union on Northern soil, and afterward Lincoln implemented a new plan to stop the rebellion: crush the Confederacy by destroying slavery, which was the basis of its economy and society. What was a war to save just the union suddenly became a moral crusade to free the slaves. President Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation five days after the Battle of Antietam on September 22, and it took effect on January 1, 1863. From that day on, all slaves were considered free. Finally.
Lincoln & McClellan (Major General of the Union Troops)

TANGENT: I know what you are thinking. "Wait a second, aren't your kids in the middle of potty training??" Why, yes. They are. But we don't have much time left here and we have a LOT to do. So we packed extra clothes and ventured out.
The very first thing we learned is that our kids are TERRIFIED of public toilets. Especially the kind that have the extra-loud, gonna-suck-you-in, sensory flushes that randomly go off while you are sitting on them. They were so scared, they were literally shaking.
The second thing we learned is that it takes FOREVER to convince children to go potty in toilets they are scared of. I sat on the ground in front of the toilet (ew) for twenty minutes before I convinced Seara to go the first time. It took another 30 minutes for Elijah. And he only went because he couldn't hold it any longer. No one warned me of that. I'm shaking my fingers at all of you right now.
Third, we learned that other people laugh at you when they overhear you from the other stalls. Especially when they hear things like:
me: Look, mommy sits on the toilet! Good girl mommy!
Elijah: I'm scared! I'm scared of the toilet!
Seara: Good pee-pee in the toilet, mommy!
Sam: Daddy will go pee-pee first. See, daddy goes pee-pee in the toilet!
me: Look! The toilet is flushing! Yay toilet! Bye, bye pee-pee!
Last, we learned that when Elijah has held it in for nearly six hours because he's afraid of the toilet (bless his heart for not wetting his pants), and you really need him to go because you have an hour and a half drive to get home, all you have to do is sit him on the toilet, pour warm water on him, and he lets loose. But watch out, because that much held in for that long will come shooting straight out. As Sam quickly learned. :)


18 comments:
If you move to California and go on these adventurous trips to see the sights will you please invite my sorry self to go? I want to visit cool places and be like you.
I like th looks of the folks in the picture of Sam at John Brown's Fort. They seem to be looking at you and I am so curious as to what they are thinking.
Wow, I'm impressed. History lesson and potty training to boot. So, you got any tips from your child psychologist for my ventures with my cute, firey bundle of Kate? Oh, how I'd love to just sit down and unload all of the stuff that I have floating around in my mind about that one. She's a hard one to figure out. Plus, potty training tips? I could use some if you have some available.
Yeah, someone should have warned you about the scary self-flushing public toilets. Kate can stop mid-pee and fly off of one of those in a heartbeat. It really is quite amusing.
I also loved your conversation about freedom fighters vs. terrorists. You two have such interesting conversations...I feel like my conversations with my honey go as follows: How was your day? Fine. How about yours? It was good. The kids were on one. Really? That stinks. Yeah, it does........etc. Grrrrrr. I WANT TO BE INTERESTING AND INTELLIGENT AGAIN!!!!!
Okay, I am laughing my head off about the last part. I can totally see someone in another stall trying to hold in their laughter.
Anyway, this was another great history lesson. I didn't know most of what you posted about. I did recognize the song though. I thought is sounded like Battle Hymn. Glad you got to go on another excursion even with potty training making it a little more difficult.
Is it mean of me to say I hope this potty training thing never ends? Okay, yes, that's mean. For your sake I really do hope your kiddos become pros very soon. But the stories are HILARIOUS and keep me laughing!!
I laughed about Seara and the BYU sweatshirt. While in Disneyland we were always noticing BYU gear. Of course that was just disneyland and not way back east there so you are much cooler running into LDS folk. And yes, you are a good mormon family :)
First off, when we drove through West Virginia I sang "Take Me Home Country Road" too. Let me just tell you, it wasn't appreciated. :)
Secondly, that was a cool story about the Battle Hymn of the Republic. For the record, Hallie went to Kindergarten and 1st grade at Julia Ward Howe Elementary so she learned that song and still sings it now.
Third, I love the BYU trick. I do it too (dressing in it and looking for it.)
And finally, sorry about the automatic flushing toilet fiasco. My kids have never had a problem...they call them the "magic toilets". But at Kindergarten round-up last week for Ethan, they warned the parents that the school has auto flushing toilets and told them to make sure their kids are well adjusted to those because every year there is a problem with them and the kindergarteners. Ha ha. :)
Wow, this post was awesome! It captured our experience perfectly. I look pretty ticked off in that Harper's Ferry picture, though. Must have been that previous conversation about John Brown :). I love the candid shots of Sease and Enoch! (I'm probably biased because I took them). And West Virginia is beautiful.
okay, seriously, if you had TOLD me that you were planning on going out to an all day thing while potty training i would have FOR SURE warned you about the automatic flushing thing! (btw, maggie is still afraid of them and i have to remind her every time to be quiet about it or she'll scare gabi too) good thing your kids don't just let it go in their pants. nice job on that! oh, and i totally know how you feel about the stall laughing thing. i don't know how many times i squatted by the potty singing 'wheels on the bus' or used candy as a bribe to get the pee pee out! oh, the adventures of parenthood.
The pic where all three kids have their arms up is awesome! So cute.
West Virginia is beautiful. I'm so glad I crossed your mind. I have to admit, I never made it that far north in my many adventures of West Virginia. My mom has though. She's be so excited that you went to Harper's Ferry. Good luck with potty training.
I know you probably don't want to touch more than you absolutely have to in a public restroom, but if you hold your hand over the sensor then (in theory) it shouldn't flush until you move it. Good luck with the potty training! At least no one has left a puddle on the floor at Target, or at a beehive clothing (they sure were suprisingly angry and not at all understanding at that one- in UT no less)
Funny story. Your mom came to my baby shower on Saturday and a couple people were asking about you and Cara and how you are doing, how many kids you have now, etc. Well, someone asked how many kids you had and Kristine and I both answered 3. They said "Oh really? Cause when I asked Ryan last week he told me she had 2". You might want to check with your little brother and remind him he has an additional nephew. ;)
Stacy - okay, THAT made me laugh out loud. Yeah, I'll try to remind him of the third nephew. I wonder how many kids he thinks the rest of my bros & sissies have! :)
About the auto-flush toilets - put a post it note over the sensor, then it won't go off. Your kids can draw a mean face on the post it if they want. ;)
Also, please, please, please post some of the suggestions your potty training specialist friend gave you. Jakob is going to be three in June and I haven't even attempted potty training yet. I'm still traumatized over our efforts with Josh.
"potty training specialist friend?" People do that for a LIVING?
I guess this is a copout but during potty training, I remember bringing out little toilet with us a couple of places. I think we've actually got it relatively easy with the boys. They consider peeing in the bushes AWESOME. sometimes it's the only alternative when the public toilets are too high or scary, lol. But mostly we were shutins while potty training. Once they got it down at home we'd practice at selected places (library, grocery stores, etc.)
But I hope you keep it up because these stories are hilarious!
The conversation in the public bathroom is the best! You could be a comedian!
I am so surprised that you mentioned me in you blog post. Ok really I am not because I asked you to. Yeah that is how I roll.
I do feel the need to explain myself that I did not have the intention to go to school to be a potty training specialist. However, it is one of the most common parenting complaints so if you are a child psychologist- you learn potty training.
As a word of hope to all you other moms- every child is different and each of them need a different method of potty training. And as you can see it is one of the most frustrating tasks of motherhood- you are not alone.
I love reading your blog. I actually used the BYU trick the other day when a new client's mother was wearing a BYU sweatshirt. It totally won over the parents that I was Mormon. However, the 15 year old boy was not as impressed.
How many people were in that one stall? Was it regular-sized or wheelchair-sized?
We took a little potty on a 12-hour trip to Denver once.
Michelle - You mean it wasn't your life's ambition from the time you were three to specialize in potty training?! ;) It only makes sense that child psych deals a lot with potty training. I should have written about the toilet paper borrowing incident, but I just got bogged down. What a great story!
Alyn - I think the max we had in one stall was three ... I'm pretty sure we never got to four. But yes, we did take the handicapped stall. We needed the space! And taking the small potties on a long trip is pretty brilliant. We just may have to do that if we have a long drive this summer!
Post a Comment