This picture has nothing to do with anything. I took it a month ago to show my mom the
sweater I bought with her Christmas money. The post just needed a visual stimulus, so I put it in.
sweater I bought with her Christmas money. The post just needed a visual stimulus, so I put it in.
the GOOD: Enoch got over his milk issues around the time he turned six months, so I've been back on dairy for about six weeks! Woohoo! My diet has mainly consisted of cheese, ice cream, and chocolate milk.
the BAD: Once upon a time, when Seara was a year old and I was six months pregnant with Elijah, we went to our doctors. Seara was under weight (still) and her pediatrician told me to give her whole milk to try to boost her weight gain. I was also under weight (for being six months pregnant) and my midwife also told me to try drinking whole milk to try to boost my weight gain. Gross, gross, gross. GROSS. Really gross. I mean REALLY gross.
At first whole milk was revolting to me (in case you hadn't realized that yet). I could barely choke down cereal. After a couple weeks I could drink the milk with a boat-load of Quik, and soon after that I was fine. No, I was better than fine. I was in love. Whole milk was amazing! It was so rich, so creamy, so marvelous!
When Elijah was born Seara still needed whole milk, and I loved it so much I wasn't about to quit. So I didn't. And I quickly learned something else about whole milk. See, Seara was always really thin as a baby, and I was pretty well aware that it was my fault because my mama milk just wasn't that fatty. Well the whole milk solved that problem! I had to go off dairy for only two months with Elijah (bless his heart), but otherwise he was as healthy as a horse. Who knew that your healthy fat consumption was directly correlated to the healthy fat that you produce for your babies?? (No seriously, it sounds so logical, but women are rarely told that some nursing problems can be ameliorated by ensuring that you get enough fat in your diet. I'm so glad my doctors have generally given lifestyle directions before they put me on some pill or told me to supplement with formula!)
the UGLY: We have been informed that Seara's weight gain has been stable long enough that we can now give up drinking whole and drop down to 1% milk. Not just can. Should. As in, they want my kids on 1%. And I'm not the type to fight the whole 'my milk/their milk' battle. I buy one kind of milk and we all drink it. Which means that I have to drink 1%. ONE PERCENT. Ew. Even the thought revolts. Unfortunately, Enoch is now eating solids well and he is so far above the curve on weigh that I can't use him as an excuse. Ugh.
Whole milk, I sure will miss you!!
(Do you think this will make we lose weight? Not that I know what I weigh anyway. The last time I checked my weight I was 9 months pregnant. But wouldn't it be fun to see how much weight I lose if I change nothing in my lifestyle or diet but the milk?? :)

21 comments:
eww.eww.eww. i can't believe you like whole milk. there is just NO WAY. i couldn't do it.
Janae that is so funny! Stan really likes whole milk, but I kind of cringe at the thought of drinking it. But I bet if I started drinking it I would get hooked on it too!
I'm all about the white water. SKIM, baby.
Couldn't do ANYthing else.
I love it. A whole post dedicated to milk. Can't get better than that.
ps- We consistently buy 8 gallons at a time...makes for some pretty funny looks at the grocery store...especially when I'm back in less than a week to get 8 more gallons. I seriously wonder if they laugh about the milk lady when I'm not around.
okay, so no, things don't work the same way for me (not really a surprise though, right?) i'm positive that i consumed enough fat in my diet while nursing alex and my milk was quite fatty, but as we all know she never even reached the charts til she was 5 years old. i don't think she'll ever pass the 5% mark. the other day she had a friend from class over to play and it looked like she was playing with a giant. not that the other girl was chubby or anything - she was well proportioned - just a full head taller than alex. they looked kinda funny playing with each other. :)
trent, by the way, has now switched to skim milk. he wasn't exactly happy about it, but when he thought about how his metabolism isn't quite how it used to be, he decided the change was necessary. besides, his diet mostly consists of milk anyways.
we also buy 6-8 gallons of milk every week, but we switch between all kinds: whole, 2%, 1%, 1/2%, and skim. if milk is on sale, i'll get whole (for the kids) and skim (for us). otherwise it's 1/2% and skim. yes, we define our milk preferences with the current prices.
i am worried about you going only to skim milk though. you will waste away! seriously. you need to find something else to boost your fat intake or something, like the carnation instant breakfast to drink with it with your regular breakfast. take care of yourself!!
People generally have strong milk preferences. I grew up on 2%, went to whole milk when I was pregnant to try to gain more weight, and now I usually buy 1%. Skim just tastes like water to me. Good tip on the good fats for nursing, now I just need to think of some more things with good fat in them. You should see if milk makes much of a difference. You're skinny already so you don't need to lose weight and congrats on eating dairy again...I tried to go off of it for a few weeks and I about died. I am a dairy-aholic.
I LOVE whole milk. I won't drink any other kind :)
I'm glad Seara's weight is up. We need to get Aiden's weight up. He's been on a lot of whole milk lately too. We'll see what happens.
I can't really tell the difference between skim , 1%, 2% and whole milk- I just drink whatevers in the fridge- but allow me to clarify- I only really drink milk if it's in my cereal bowl. I buy 1%- it drives Spencer CRAZY cuz he doesn't like his milk watered down so he buys 2%- we have on occassion poured actual ice cream mix (pure cream and sugar) into our kids cereals by accident (the ice cream mix we buy from maceys is in the same looking one gallon container as milk and looks just like it)- our boys didn't once complain though- they loved it! In Portugal during the mish for the first year I was buying WHOLE milk and I had NO clue until one of my comps (can't remember who) asked me how I could stand drinking the stuff! Obviously I wasn't reading the milk labels there. Sorry to hear you have to give up your whole milk Janae.
I grew up on 2% and had whole milk whenever we went to Grandma and Grandpa's so it was no big deal to start drinking it while I was in college (mainly so I could ensure I was the only one drinking my milk as the rest of them thought whole milk was disgusting). When we got married and Allen would only drink 1% I had a hard time, but now I'm used to it and even 2% seems a little nasty to me. We bought some milk at the mall to go with our mrs. field cookies last year and it turned out to be whole. Even smelling before I took a sip made me gag and I felt sick afterwards. Funny how that happens.
Hm, I think you've inspired me to drink whole milk! I don't think I have ever tried it, but I think I wouldn't mind it, since I don't have a specific milk preference.
But wouldn't whole milk with chocolate & icecream make a great smoothie? My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
Whole milk is so yummy and I think it is better for you no matter what. I think you should just keep Seara on whole milk. Doctors are stupid about what % milk kids should be on. Why change her to 1% if you guys all like whole milk. I think you should keep her on whole milk and then see if her doctor can tell. He'll probably say something like "oh, it's a good thing you switched her to 1% milk" and you can just laugh to yourself and keep drinking the good stuff!
Skim - might as well drink blue water.
1% - Lame, but okay if you're only going to live another 6 months.
2% - Decent (and what I drink), but going any lower is for those with no taste buds or who never get any exercise.
Whole - It's the good stuff, but at 50+ you have to give up something.
I drink skim milk, but I don't think it tastes that great. However, I'm used to it and I feel healthier drinking it (I've done it for years now and even got Davis to make the switch). The girls drink 2% and I steal some whenever I'm in need of a tall, cold glass of chocolate milk. :)
I'm a skim milk-er! I give the baby whole milk, but it just looks so thick and yucky. But I guess I am not much of a milk drinker, it just goes on my cereal or whatever. Sorry you had to make the switch!
That would be a great experiment. Jason is a whole milk lover and I'm a skim milk lover...well, sort of (lately, I've not been much of a milk fan at all). I'm with you on the one milk for all. So luckily we like right by a dairy (unlucky for the smell sometimes) and we buy the skim milk there and it actually could pass as 2% store bought milk...sometimes it is more like whole and I wonder if they mixed up the cartons. Anyway, I get the fat free advantage while everyone else gets the creamy, rich advantage. Pretty blessed, I'd say.
It's funny that I sent that recipe to you today that mentioned the no dairy diet and then I check your blog and it's all about that. Weird. But seriously, the recipe is totally worth using anyway!
P.S. I like your sweater. You look very flattering.
I'm so with you on the whole milk. I LOVE it. It is amazing. We always get 1% for Severin (I can't stand to go any lower and I don't think he wants to either) but every once in a while we'll get a gallon of whole milk just for me. Oh the goodness of whole milk...
I have one question not about milk...Where's January's video??? My daughter LOVED your videos (I did too!!!).
Your children are very sweet. You make having three children look easy! I'll have to get tips from you when I'm on #3 on how to handle it!
#1-Ewww! I could never drink whole milk. Ever. Not even if someone told me they'd give me 1000 dollars. I can barely get myself to have 1% in cereal. Natalie and I are the same-only skim milk.
#2-Isn't it strange that you get the most comments when your post is dedicated to milk?
Didn't you want to know the milk preferences and history of your readers? Who knew?
Both grew up on 2%.
Didn't really drink milk in college.
We switched to 1%
then 1/2%
Now: skim all the way, baby. (Charlie's on whole)
It's so refreshing with chocolate.
That nasty whole milk tastes like fat on the roof of my mouth. I'd rather get my fat from something besides milk!
We only drink milk with breakfast. Or Chocolate. 3 gallons /week is our rate of consumption.
Holy mackerel woman. You have 19 comments about milk. MILK!
I'm happy for you that you can now eat milk products again. I don't know how you went without cheese and ice cream for so long. You have more will power than I do; I would have just weaned him and gone the formula route.
We have Parker milk and parent milk...but Jeffrey wishes there were only Parker milk. And he doesn't even like milk. Only puts it on cereal. Maybe I should be more like you--only one kind of milk. it would simplify my fridge.
Post a Comment