ANNAPOLIS
I admit, I expected Annapolis to be a lot like Baltimore: dozens of skyscrapers, thousands of apartments, millions of people. I was pleasantly surprised to find a darling, pedestrian friendly TOWN. At least that's what the cute old man who stopped us to ask if Sease & Lije were twins called it. Annapolis has more 18th-century buildings than anywhere else in the country - perhaps that's why it reminded me so much of Portugal (where I served my mission). I mean, dozens and dozens of small, skinny buildings, all pasted against each other down one-lane, cobble-stone streets. It was PRECIOUS. I felt like contacting every person that walked by us. :) We saw some fancy houses, but mostly we enjoyed meandering down the streets, wandering through the US Naval Academy, and watching the boats glide up and down the Chesapeake Bay.
View of Annapolis and the Bay from the Naval Academy
Sam loved this colorful street leading up to the State House
So here's what we saw:
Maryland State House: (built 1772-1779) Served as the nation's Capitol from 1783-1784.
It was here that the Continental Congress ratified the Treaty of Paris that officially ended the Revolutionary War.
It was here that the Continental Congress ratified the Treaty of Paris that officially ended the Revolutionary War.
Chase-Lloyd House: (built 1769) Home of Samuel Chase, signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Hammond-Harwood House: (built 1774) America's "most beautiful Anglo-Palladian house."
Whatever that means. It was old and cool looking.
Whatever that means. It was old and cool looking.
William Paca House: (built 1763-1765) Home of William Paca,
signer of the Declaration of Independence and governor of Maryland.
signer of the Declaration of Independence and governor of Maryland.
Charles Carroll House: (built 1725) Childhood home of Charles Carroll,
the last surviving signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Hmmm ... does that sound familiar to anyone else? Seen National Treasure one too many times, eh?
the last surviving signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Hmmm ... does that sound familiar to anyone else? Seen National Treasure one too many times, eh?
And now for your random tidbit of the trip. Apparently people from Annapolis are called "Annapolitans." You know like metropolitan or neopolitan. Strange, huh? Normally you put either -n or -an on the end: Californian, Utahn, Idahoan. (Well, except here. I'm actually a "Marylander".) Anyway, it got me thinking. You know how in Book of Mormon times the people put -ite at the end? Wouldn't it be bizzarre if we did that now-a-days? So people from Utah would be Utites. And people from Idaho would be Idahites ... or maybe Idahoites. Ha, ha, ha! I make myself laugh. :)
We are best friends

10 comments:
We're Nebraskites. :) I LOVED the first picture of you and Enoch. He looks so relaxed. It looks so funny! :) Looks like a cute "little" town. :)
It does look like a cute place. Not what I would imagine either. I loved the pictures of all the houses. Sometimes I think it would be fun to have a house like that--you know, with extra rooms for all my servants and such! :)
i can't believe you take so many trips. you'll have memories to last a lifetime.
I wonder if I'm related to that Charles Carroll guy....wouldn't that be cool?! I love all the pictures, it looks like you guys had so much fun!
I would love to see a quaint little town with cobblestone streets. Never seen one. So once again, I have to live vicariously through you. That's ok though, you're pretty fun to live vicariously through. So Annapolis people would be Annapolites? Sounds pretty catchy.
I like your best friends photo. It's great that you two can still be friends amidst the chaos of 3 kids. I find it hard for Jason and I to be more than roommates sometimes and we only have 2...
You two are cute.
Do people live in the historic houses or are they museums? Or something else?
jodi - the houses shown are all museums, but there are other equally old houses that people still live in. Nuts, huh?!
People that live in Michigan are Michiganders. :) You guys are super cute. I miss you!
I loved the feel of this city! I think all cities should be like this -- you can walk to wherever you need to go, lots of gardens, lots of restaurants, etc. It's sort of like Disneyland!
I heard of a cool place to get great seafood (for when we go next time)!
Post a Comment